• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer

Bob Blythe

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Base
Got a 2016 explorer base v6 front drive thats driving me crazy.The backup camera will come on going forward anytime going 35 to 70 + mph and it will downshift. The ecm been replaced along with the thottle body.But the kicker is ford says the problem is my galaxy s7 phone making the camera come on.Anyone else had the problem been in the shop 3 times already because of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to be an easy determination if the phone is causing the problem you described. Unplug it if it's plugged in and/or turn it off when you drive. If the symptoms go away, then the phones likely the culprit. Your issues have not been posted before by any other member that I can recall.

Peter

That's some strange behavior for sure, i wouldn't think a phone would cause this.
Peter has some good advise, quickly eliminate the phone from the issue/equation.

Just spent this morning riding around with the phone at home with no phone synced .And coming south on Interstate 81 The backup camera comes on and the car behind me nails his brakes I think backup lites are coming on..The camera only comes on ramdonly it could be 50 miles or now since the last time it went to the shop 430 miles.And it downshifts I cant see how a phone will make it downshift.

Odd that an Android device would cause the issue you are describing, considering there are likely well tens of thousands of Ford owners who has an Android device paired with their vehicles.

I pesonally own an Android, a work BB and the wife has an Iphone 6S and none have cuased issues when paired with our EX.

They really need to start analyzing the vehicle networks and chasing back wiring diagrams. Something is pulsing out an invalid signal and the modules aren't catching the fault.

You're also probably coming close to a potential Lemon Law claim, if this is a new vehicle.

This is a 2016 explorer v6 front wheel drive a year and 2 months old with 24000 miles. Been a great Explorer until this started happening

This is a 2016 explorer v6 front wheel drive a year and 2 months old with 24000 miles. Been a great Explorer until this started happening
I think you've eliminated the phone as the cause. I wasn't aware that the rearview camera and reverse lights were connected in any way. I have my camera set on 'delay' meaning that after backing up when I go to drive off the camera will show what's behind me until I reach a certain speed. I believe the backup lights go out as soon as I put the shifter in 'D'.

Peter

This is a 2016 explorer v6 front wheel drive a year and 2 months old with 24000 miles.

Did I read that right or should I check my glasses? 2 months old and 24,000 miles?!

ETA: Never mind. Should've checked either my glasses or reading comprehension. A YEAR and two months old. Still a lotta miles, but hey, what's the point of a vehicle if you don't drive it?

Back