2016 Ford Explorer Brakes and Rotors Life? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Brakes and Rotors Life?

fischmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently had my rear brakes and rotors replaced on a 2016 Ford Explorer with 28,000 miles on it. The dealer stated that the rear pads were wearing unevenly, and even showed me the pads. They were indeed unevenly worn. But they simply told me that "This happens sometimes." A few questions:

1) How long should the brake pads have lasted (note: The front pads, per the dealer, are still good)?

2) My understanding is the rotors should've lasted a lot longer, regardless of uneven wear??

3) Does the uneven wear point to a potential issue with the rear brake system as a whole?

Feeling like the dealer may have pulled a fast one on me with regards to the rotors, and by not looking deeper at the brake system as a whole to make sure I don't get into this same situation again.

I don't think they pulled a fast one on you--as Peter has shared the brake drag issue is very much possible.

Unfortunately, warranty on brake consumables is only good for 1 year / 12k.

I think even mine were starting to drag, but I knew I was due for a caliper service anyway. That wasn't until nearly 30k myself though, but I do a lot of highway.

Back