2016 Ford Explorer Sport engine torque thrust mounts. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Sport engine torque thrust mounts.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
On Saturday I upgraded the engine torque thrust mounts in my ‘16 Explorer Sport to a much beefier set made be Southside Machine Performance.

I did this because I came across a YouTube video where an owner had changed a lot of suspension parts only to discover that the rear thrust mount was bent thus causing the issue.

I tow a small 6x10 V-nose trailer (2,900 GVW) from the Northeast to Florida several times a year and thought that the stronger mounts would lessen the front to rear rocking of the engine on acceleration and deceleration and the possible bending of the stamped steel and rubber OEM mounts.

I planned to do the install this past Friday but, we had a snowstorm of 7+ inches so, I had a change of plans and did the install at a friends warehouse on Saturday. Even though it was heated it didn’t knock a lot off the 21* weather outside.

The install was quite easy.. I dropped the OEM front mount out first, then installed the Southside Machine Performance mount leaving the bolts loose for the time being.
I then did the same on the rear mount. Once I had all the bolts started I then tighten the bolts down trying to draw them in equally as I went.

Although I had one at the ready, I didn’t have to use a floor jack to support anything during the swap.

Upon inspection of the OEM mounts it appears the rear mount, the longer of the two, had a very slight bend in it. I tried to check it with a straight edge but, the way they are made it wasn’t possible and trying to gauge it across the bolt hole locations the rubber inserts would move.

Speaking of rubber inserts the bushings on the Southside Machine Performance mounts are of a hybrid material giving them a bit of flex. They do have other bushing types, I simply chose the softer ones.

Regarding the NVH characteristics on the road test,

Noise was insignificant as I really didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

Vibration is very slight at times and felt in the steering wheel. But, it’s only noticeable during acceleration and when the car kicks into overdrive, say around town, and the engine is “lugging”.
If I use the paddle shifter and kick it down a gear or two vibration is insignificant.
At highway speeds up to 80 I didn’t notice any unusual vibrations.

Harshness wasn’t felt. I did some 0 to 60+ blasts and all felt good. On one, the car shifted into second gear and the front tires broke loose.. LOL. I’ll attribute that to the wet spot from the melting snow. It surprised me though.

I tried all the driving modes.. 2WD, AWD, all the one on the selector knob as well as Tow/Haul mode.
With these mounts being new and "tight" I believe they'll "break in" with time.

Overall I’m very pleased and in my opinion a nice upgrade.

OK.... Well, I tried to post some of the pictures I took of the install but, I'm unable to do so. I'm guessing I need a "hosting site"???
The best I can do is a link to a couple of pictures on Southside Machine Performance's website...

https://southsidemachineperformance.com/shop-1/ols/categories/ecoboost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better option, and higher quality, are the Anthony DiCunzolo versions...the original ones. I wouldn't recommend the SSM ones (who copied AD and lowered the quality), but that's just my opinion...

I discussed this item as well as the installation here:

But yes, the upgraded lower trans mounts are an excellent way to reduce wheel hop and gain firmer shifting.

Please elaborate on your "higher quality" and "who copied" statements....

These are mounts for a specific vehicle and and used in a specific location. There aren't many ways to make them different.
AD's mounts use round tubing to connect the two mounting points
SSM uses box tubing to connect the two mounting points which gives a greater weld coverage.. aka strength.
So, they are obviously different.
Also, SSM offers a choice of three different bushings, grease fittings or no grease fittings, and an adjustable "long bar".

I saw your thread in my search for the mounts. What turned me off was the fact that AD has no website and contact issues.
I don't do Facebook, or have Instagram, etc. And in one reply to your thread a person emailed AD and hadn't gotten a reply.
My guess at the time was that AD is making mounts "on the side" at work or at home as a hobby.
So, I looked elsewhere.

I found SSM's website, placed an order and within five minutes I had a telephone call from the owner of SSM.
He called me to inform that my order might take a couple of weeks longer due to the Holidays... I had my order in six days.
SSM primarily builds suspension components for GM vehicles and has been in business for decades.

AD builds his mounts in similar fashion to the the Steeda trailing arms and toe links (both of which I have) and that's great.
SSM happens to build a "box tubing" version which is also great. At least there's options out there.

I just don't understand the need for bashing anyone's product.
I'm just thankful that there are people building products for these cars and I wish there were more.

Oh... in closing, I initially was going to weld up my own set of mounts and I was planning on using round tubing..
This was WELL BEFORE I came across the thread about AD's mounts... Now if I did do that, would I have been "copying" AD's mounts??

Please elaborate on your "higher quality" and "who copied" statements....

These are mounts for a specific vehicle and and used in a specific location. There aren't many ways to make them different.
AD's mounts use round tubing to connect the two mounting points
SSM uses box tubing to connect the two mounting points which gives a greater weld coverage.. aka strength.
So, they are obviously different.
Also, SSM offers a choice of three different bushings, grease fittings or no grease fittings, and an adjustable "long bar".

I saw your thread in my search for the mounts. What turned me off was the fact that AD has no website and contact issues.
I don't do Facebook, or have Instagram, etc. And in one reply to your thread a person emailed AD and hadn't gotten a reply.
My guess at the time was that AD is making mounts "on the side" at work or at home as a hobby.
So, I looked elsewhere.

I found SSM's website, placed an order and within five minutes I had a telephone call from the owner of SSM.
He called me to inform that my order might take a couple of weeks longer due to the Holidays... I had my order in six days.
SSM primarily builds suspension components for GM vehicles and has been in business for decades.

AD builds his mounts in similar fashion to the the Steeda trailing arms and toe links (both of which I have) and that's great.
SSM happens to build a "box tubing" version which is also great. At least there's options out there.

I just don't understand the need for bashing anyone's product.
I'm just thankful that there are people building products for these cars and I wish there were more.

Oh... in closing, I initially was going to weld up my own set of mounts and I was planning on using round tubing..
This was WELL BEFORE I came across the thread about AD's mounts... Now if I did do that, would I have been "copying" AD's mounts??
First off, don't speak about what you don't know about. I can "bash" them because I know what they've done, and frankly have it coming to them. It's well established, if you do your research, ask the appropriate parties, know your history of the development of the platform as well as the players in the game that SSM and AD once had a relationship that turned sour. The mounts were from AD and were his design. SSM was originally the "manufacturer" of his parts. Because he didn't take certain steps to protect his property, SSM took the shady route, cut him out of the picture and began manufacturing their own...with way less quality. If you put them next to each other, you would easily see what I am referring to. Anthony continued to produce his product, with another manufacturer. And that's where we are today. And from an engineering perspective, round tube will ALWAYS be stronger than square tubing...why do you think roll cages are made from round-stock?

How about you do your research first before you spout off at the mouth. I can't condone SSMs practices and will never support a shady company like that. Man, this forum is filled with a bunch of un-informed cry babies. And when they get schooled, they contiue to cry about it instead of taking heed. Get out and see what these companies are really about. Who cares that AD doesn't have his website setup..he sells way more of these than SSM...because of his reputation. He's a stand up guy, treats his customers right and is open about any questions you have.

Screw those sorry SSM mounts. You can keep your crappy quality, second-rate knock off product.

You're welcome...now you know the whole story.

First off, don't speak about what you don't know about. I can "bash" them because I know what they've done, and frankly have it coming to them. It's well established, if you do your research, ask the appropriate parties, know your history of the development of the platform as well as the players in the game that SSM and AD once had a relationship that turned sour. The mounts were from AD and were his design. SSM was originally the "manufacturer" of his parts. Because he didn't take certain steps to protect his property, SSM took the shady route, cut him out of the picture and began manufacturing their own...with way less quality. If you put them next to each other, you would easily see what I am referring to. Anthony continued to produce his product, with another manufacturer. And that's where we are today. And from an engineering perspective, round tube will ALWAYS be stronger than square tubing...why do you think roll cages are made from round-stock?

How about you do your research first before you spout off at the mouth. I can't condone SSMs practices and will never support a shady company like that. Man, this forum is filled with a bunch of un-informed cry babies. And when they get schooled, they contiue to cry about it instead of taking heed. Get out and see what these companies are really about. Who cares that AD doesn't have his website setup..he sells way more of these than SSM...because of his reputation. He's a stand up guy, treats his customers right and is open about any questions you have.

Screw those sorry SSM mounts. You can keep your crappy quality, second-rate knock off product.

You're welcome...now you know the whole story.
Looks like I will be going with AD! Thanks for the update.

Man, this forum is filled with a bunch of un-informed cry babies. And when they get schooled, they contiue to cry about it instead of taking heed.
And you keep coming back though.

I got mine delivered and my 2017 Platinum has both front and back, so not sure when they deleted the front one. Not going to get into a pissing contest on whose is better. Heck, both are better than the stock ones. Anyway, I also purchased the Steeda Adjustable rear toe link, and will install both, when the weather is better. I will order the Steeda sway bar and rear trailing arms next.

Steeda contacted me and informed me about Black Friday sale. I went ahead and ordered the sway bar and rear trailing arms. They refunded me the difference on the rear toe link I had paid full price for. Thought that was righteous of them. I also got the level kit to raise front end 1.25 inches

Got my torque mounts installed, sound and vibration seems to be subsiding as the days go by. Got my rear suspension parts from Steeda in and they look so beefy. This Saturday, weather permitting. I will install the sway bar, rear toe-link, trailing arms. I also went ahead and ordered Bilstein B6 struts and rear shocks.

Well it is Saturday, got the sway bar and trailing links installed and left the rear toe-link for next day. Bilstein shocks will be here monday.

Well it is Saturday, got the sway bar and trailing links installed and left the rear toe-link for next day. Bilstein shocks will be here monday.
Any more updates?

Fedex lost my steeda springs, after filing a haven’t received issue with Steeda, they sent me a replacement set. I purchased a spring compressor from Harbor Freight (this is a v-type that was recommended on several videos i watched). I then ordered all new parts to completely assemble my B6 struts (i ordered all oem motorcraft parts) I assembled the struts in my office. In the pictures you can see the compressor. Now in my office are my complete set of struts. Rear springs and shocks, complete set of new drilled slotted rotors, pads. Red “SPORT” caliper covers and my steeda rear toe links. I plan on doing the complete install one day soon, when the planets are aligned correctly. It took a while researching all the components and finally got them. While waiting i installed catch cans with one way valves on both the PCV pipes(PCV side and what is called clean side), I also did the intake valve cleaning process using a setup from EWK and BG intake valve cleaner. (Note, do not rev engine over 2500 rpm, under boost condition, cleaning fluid will get pushed out instead of pulled in). When my camera gets here, i will check condition of carbon buildup on valves.

C2B09DC3-07DD-4BF0-94B6-AC22FE9B42BA.jpeg A0633A60-0A97-4337-974E-18399711D60F.jpeg C45A00A8-973C-4E54-821D-EF90C168D984.jpeg

Back