2016 Ford Explorer Sport, Passenger floorboard completely flooded | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Sport, Passenger floorboard completely flooded

CGiunta

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
My local San Jose dealership is having trouble finding where water is coming inside my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. They've had the vehicle for 11 days now. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation? My warranty is expired but I do have 100K mile service warranty. Only 44,000 miles on my Explorer.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The most common cause for water in the foot wells is a blocked or disconnected moonroof drain.
If you pour water onto the roof, the line on the passenger side should drain the water by the front right wheel.
Check out the pictures here; Wet carpet Second Row

Peter

14 Explorer Drain Tubes.jpg

Be prepared.. water leaks are not covered outside the b2b warranty.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The most common cause for water in the foot wells is a blocked or disconnected moonroof drain.
If you pour water onto the roof, the line on the passenger side should drain the water by the front right wheel.
Check out the pictures here; Wet carpet Second Row

Peter

View attachment 177817
Appreciate the response. Thanks!

I had this issue. Sure enough, the front drains were clogged with tree bark / acorn chunks. I cleaned both front drains and haven't had an issue since. Hope that helps.

Appreciate the response. It turned out to be the sunroof drain was clogged.

Our 2017 XLT developed a leak into the vehicle, coming down the front passenger seat belt. Had the sun roof drains "cleaned" by the dealer during the 3/36 warranty. A year later it happened again, no warranty this time. Cleaned the front drains from the top and the rear drains from the exit as you can't reach the rears from the top without removing a lot of stuff. Tested it with water in the sun roof channels and it drained out all the drains, front and back. Closed the sunroof for the season at that time and haven't opened it. It was fine through rain and snow afterwards, until recently. A wind driven rain caused it to leak again :(. I'm thinking it's coming in through the roof rack bolt holes when the conditions are right. I'll check that out in the spring.

Whimsey

The most common area that the roof rack leaked was in the rear where water ran down the 3rd row seat belt.

Peter

Not good! Just poor design and quality. My dealership recommended getting a waterproof cover so it doesn't happen again? WTF?

Has anyone who experienced a leak in their vehicle also has seen a puff of hot steamy air (inside front windshield) during some passing gear throttle situations? I've been having this problem for at least 2 years (under warranty) and even the service manager at my local dealership said it's related with water getting inside the vehicle. Ford refuses to see the connection? Very disappointing!

......Has anyone who experienced a leak in their vehicle also has seen a puff of hot steamy air (inside front windshield) during some passing gear throttle situations? I've been having this problem for at least 2 years (under warranty) and even the service manager at my local dealership said it's related with water getting inside the vehicle. Ford refuses to see the connection? Very disappointing!
This issue has not been posted about before.

Peter

Not good! Just poor design and quality. My dealership recommended getting a waterproof cover so it doesn't happen again? WTF?

Has anyone who experienced a leak in their vehicle also has seen a puff of hot steamy air (inside front windshield) during some passing gear throttle situations? I've been having this problem for at least 2 years (under warranty) and even the service manager at my local dealership said it's related with water getting inside the vehicle. Ford refuses to see the connection? Very disappointing!
What you might be seeing is when u gun it, on most newer vehicles the compressor will disengage so it temporarily affects the climate control. Sudden change in temperature on windshield could be the cause but then again I haven’t paid attention if mine does it. May very well be the moisture in yours from the leak.

I had the same exact issue in my 2016 Sport. Dealer claimed it was an open body seam inside the fender. I am not so sure that was the case.

I believe the RF drain hose was blown off the sunroof pan drain by the high velocity dryer. I would say your issue is 99% related to the sunroof drain tube.

Back