• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016 Ford Explorer - Timing Problem

Dejanpapa

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Base
Hello! I'm having a timing problem with my 2016 Ford Explorer base model with a 3.5 liter engine. I want to replace the timing chain but when I took off the timing chain cover, the timing marks were not lining up as it was shown in the service manual. The timing marks on the phasers are where they are supposed to be, the cam shaft tools fall into place on both sides easily, but the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is at about 2'o clock position instead of 4'o clock. (The reason for the timing chain replacement was that it possibly skipped, cylinders 1,2 and 3 had missfire, very rough idle, trouble codes were P0016, P0300, P0301 and P0302. All the ignition components were replaced.)

Does anybody know how to proceed with this? Should I take the chain off and adjust the crankshaft so that the mark will be in the correct position?

Attachments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry, I can't help with your issue, but I was wondering how many miles/kilometres are on the engine? Is it worth changing the water pump as well? Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Dejanpapa

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Base
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry, I can't help with your issue, but I was wondering how many miles/kilometres are on the engine? Is it worth changing the water pump as well? Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter
Hi
Thank You!

It has a bit more than 93000 kilometers. I will also change the water pump since I’ve taken it apart So much.

Regards,
Dejan

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
@KayGee

Hopefully you will hear from Kaygee who knows a lot about the mechanics.

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
@KayGee

Hopefully you will hear from Kaygee who knows a lot about the mechanics.
93000 kilometers is pretty low, thats under 60,000 miles, would the powertrian warranty cover this for a 2016? . The picture shows quite a bit of varnish, curious if oil changes were done regularly?

Dejanpapa

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Base
93000 kilometers is pretty low, thats under 60,000 miles, would the powertrian warranty cover this for a 2016? . The picture shows quite a bit of varnish, curious if oil changes were done regularly?
Sadly warranty is off the table. The vehicle was shipped to Europe. It was a US government owned car with poor maintenance. Dealers here can’t help with cars from the US, so it’s pretty much a DIY project for me.

Crates

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer AWD Limited
Hello! I'm having a timing problem with my 2016 Ford Explorer base model with a 3.5 liter engine. I want to replace the timing chain but when I took off the timing chain cover, the timing marks were not lining up as it was shown in the service manual. The timing marks on the phasers are where they are supposed to be, the cam shaft tools fall into place on both sides easily, but the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is at about 2'o clock position instead of 4'o clock. (The reason for the timing chain replacement was that it possibly skipped, cylinders 1,2 and 3 had missfire, very rough idle, trouble codes were P0016, P0300, P0301 and P0302. All the ignition components were replaced.)

Does anybody know how to proceed with this? Should I take the chain off and adjust the crankshaft so that the mark will be in the correct position?
If you have the cams oriented correctly you can then remove the tensioner and re-orient the crank so the dot is in the correct location. Keep in mind there are colored reference links on the chain for both cams and the crank. They may not be very visible if the engine internals are dirty. You want to use the colored links as reference and align them to the dots on he cams and the crank, then install the tensioner, pull the pin and double check everything is still in alignment. Sometimes the chain will slip off the crank gear while you are trying to get the tensioner installed. If you already have it apart, I highly recommend a new tensioner, chain and definitely a Motorcraft pump. Also inspect the guides for excessive wear and replace if necessary.

Crates

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
If you have the cams oriented correctly you can then remove the tensioner and re-orient the crank so the dot is in the correct location. Keep in mind there are colored reference links on the chain for both cams and the crank. They may not be very visible if the engine internals are dirty. You want to use the colored links as reference and align them to the dots on he cams and the crank, then install the tensioner, pull the pin and double check everything is still in alignment. Sometimes the chain will slip off the crank gear while you are trying to get the tensioner installed. If you already have it apart, I highly recommend a new tensioner, chain and definitely a Motorcraft pump. Also inspect the guides for excessive wear and replace if necessary.
You can see one of the orange reference links in your photos. You should find 3 of them around the chain. Also keep in mind those reference marks do not line themselves back up every time the engine rotates through one complete cycle. I believe its something like 17 cycles...so don’t use them to determine whether the current timing is out unless you want to bar the engine over forever while you wait for them to come back into phase.

Dejanpapa

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Base
Thank You!
I will do it on Saturday. The only thing I don’t understand is that how could this happen? How can the timing be so much off with the vehicle still working.

Crates

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thank You!
I will do it on Saturday. The only thing I don’t understand is that how could this happen? How can the timing be so much off with the vehicle still working.
I’ve not seen one skip a tooth on the cams; normally if the chain stretches to the point that the tensioner reaches the end of its travel limit and the chain becomes loose it will skip down at the crank gear and cause both banks to be retarded. Without looking at it in person it’s difficult to say what happened to yours.