2016 Ford Explorer trans slips colder temps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer trans slips colder temps

Doug Stamper

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 ford Explorer sport
I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. 50,000 miles. During this past winter my transmission was staying in first gear when first driving it. I could paddle shift it to 2nd and so on. Sometimes it would shift on out normally, sometimes it would drop back down in first gear. After less than maybe a minute it always clear itself up on it's own.
Of course the dealer loved telling me recently that they couldn't duplicate the problem, knowing it only shows itself in cooler temps. They kind of have me over a barrel, unless someone knows how I can handle this situation better.
Is there anyone on here that can guide me in a good direction and what I can do?
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Doug. :wave:
It's not unusual for the transmission to shift a little differently when it's cold outside. I have found that it will sometimes tend to hang onto a gear longer than normal until the transmission warmed up. Had that in practically all of my vehicles. I usually found it took longer to finally kick into overdrive. How is it shifting now.

Peter

It's not unusual for the transmission to shift a little differently when it's cold outside. I have found that it will sometimes tend to hang onto a gear longer than normal until the transmission warmed up. Had that in practically all of my vehicles. I usually found it took longer to finally kick into overdrive. How is it shifting now.

Peter
It shift decently normal now that the temps are 80+...
I have a new issue now. My car stutters at higher speeds, as if it has faulty gas. I have been running cheaper octaine until this past week. I've gone with premium, however the issue is still there. I have 48,000 miles on it. I thought about getting it turned up! New plugs and wires. What would you or anyone recommend on troubleshooting?
Thanks in advance!

FYI Doug, the 2016 Explorer had issues with the throttle body. I can't say for sure that is what the issue is. I don't believe the grade of octane should affect it. 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Peter

Thanks for that info.
Maybe a stupid question but is there a certain throttle body that I should buy? Other than one for a 2016-3.5 liter...Does the turbo determine a certain type of throttle body?
Thanks in advance:)

I'm afraid that is something I can't answer. Perhaps a more informed member will jump in.

Peter

Peter
Hi Peter! Well my transmission issue has returned with the cold temps. I'm taking it to Ford service Sunday to stay overnight so I can ride along with the tech Monday morning. My idea since it only reveals this issue on very cold condition startups. And it's still sputtering on hwy speeds of 70+. If anyone on here has had the same issues with their explorer please feel free to jump in here. Any advice-knowledge is appreciated. And thank you in advance.

Back