2016+ Ford Explorer will be the redesign? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016+ Ford Explorer will be the redesign?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the Mules have been driving around Detroit area for the redesign within the past week or two. From my understanding, there will not be a mid cycle refresh but going straight to a redesign.

I know the Mules have been driving around Detroit area for the redesign within the past week or two. From my understanding, there will not be a mid cycle refresh but going straight to a redesign.

Which ones have you been seeing? It's simply a refresh on the existing chassis, not the CD4.

Which ones have you been seeing? It's simply a refresh on the existing chassis, not the CD4.

I haven't seen them.. I know a guy out in Michigan who works for Ford who told me a few days ago that he saw the mules.

As far as I know, there is no refresh, it's redesign but Ford has fooled us before. 5 years without a refresh doesn't sound right.. I don't see a refresh being done on a 6th model year to only have a redesign a year or 2 after that.

I haven't seen them.. I know a guy out in Michigan who works for Ford who told me a few days ago that he saw the mules.

As far as I know, there is no refresh, it's redesign but Ford has fooled us before. 5 years without a refresh doesn't sound right.. I don't see a refresh being done on a 6th model year to only have a redesign a year or 2 after that.

Trust me, it's only a front and rear refresh. Your friend might be mistaking the Edge for the Explorer. With camo on they look very similar in size.

And dont forget say hello to LED lighting everywhere on the 16..............yahoo!

No more Halogen or HID

And dont forget say hello to LED lighting everywhere on the 16..............yahoo!

No more Halogen or HID

And I'm sure after-market kits will be out to mimick it for 2011-15. Even if you have have to buy a new headlight housing or a new front bumper for $$$, I am sure you will be able to do it.

I dunno about that ....that would mean all new electronics, all new light housings, all new front bumper, back bumper, grill, etc etc. Not to mention interior updates to go along with it.

Not impossible, but more difficult than a few add ons.

Looks like a durango...Ford Everest!

Ford-Everest-concept-01-626x382.jpg

Ford-Everest-concept-03-626x382.jpg

I dunno about that ....that would mean all new electronics, all new light housings, all new front bumper, back bumper, grill, etc etc. Not to mention interior updates to go along with it.

Not impossible, but more difficult than a few add ons.

Assuming it is a refresh of the face, no biggie. Saab did it in 2005 for lower bumper and fog on my 9-5. Some owners from previous years just dropped the old front bumper and added the new one. About $900 before painting.

What auto manufacturers often do is keep the same headlight housing as that generally requires a full front-end redesign to change. So, they keep the same headlight housing and put in difference light, LED's, etc. If Ford does that with the Ex it's an easy upgrade, though may not be cheap if you need a new headlight housing.

The Ex is selling like gangbusters. No need for a complete redesign right now. I actually expected a refresh 2015, so I don't expect an entire new model for a few years yet.

Assuming it is a refresh of the face, no biggie. Saab did it in 2005 for lower bumper and fog on my 9-5. Some owners from previous years just dropped the old front bumper and added the new one. About $900 before painting.

What auto manufacturers often do is keep the same headlight housing as that generally requires a full front-end redesign to change. So, they keep the same headlight housing and put in difference light, LED's, etc. If Ford does that with the Ex it's an easy upgrade, though may not be cheap if you need a new headlight housing.

The Ex is selling like gangbusters. No need for a complete redesign right now. I actually expected a refresh 2015, so I don't expect an entire new model for a few years yet.

Completely new front end including headlight housings. I'm not aware of any aftermarket company making 100% LED headlights. Even if they did they would be crazy expensive and not DOT legal.

LA Auto Show is in November I think.....lets hope it gets revealed there.

Completely new front end including headlight housings. I'm not aware of any aftermarket company making 100% LED headlights. Even if they did they would be crazy expensive and not DOT legal.

Might as well redo the whole vehicle if you are going to redo the whole front end design. Generally the form of the front end fits with the rest of a car. You redo the whole front end and keep the rest of the car the same it usually looks *******ized.

Google "audi led" and you will see tons of aftermarket LED headlights - admittedly for the running lights, but its the whole housing and can easily be done for anything Ford does. That's assuming Ford keeps the same headlight housing and changes the lighting inside for a retrofit.

Doubtful the headlight housing would remain the same since the current Halogen and HID each have their own housings designed specifically for the bulbs used.

Peter

Doubtful the headlight housing would remain the same since the current Halogen and HID each have their own housings designed specifically for the bulbs used.

Peter

By "headlight housing" I mean the actual, whole plastic headlight that houses the inner parts - whether halogens or HID's. If the plastic housing remains the same, but Ford changes what is inside (say, LED headlights or a LED DRL strip inside) then it is easy for aftermarket companies to copy that and it is generally plug and play to replace the whole headlight housing for older models to the new one if that is all Ford changes for 2016.

Notice that the headlight housing extends across two panels. To change the actual shape of the housing would be a major job and pretty much require more than front end redesign.

What I can see is redesigning the look of the lower front plastic bumper (perhaps changing the fogs from circular to some other shaped LED DRL), changing the interior of the headlight housing to HID across the board or even LED headlights, and perhaps painting or changing to smooth plastic body color the lower black trim across the bottom of the entire Ex, as well as changing the grill appearance.

These are the kind of things you see in a mid-model refresh. They spiff up and change the appearance without any structural redesign that is costly to Ford on a vehicle that is still selling well. And they are the kind of things you can retrofit aftermarket '11-'15, not that it would be cheap.

And perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps Ford changes the whole front end shape and design, but you generally only see that with a complete model redesign and posters are saying '16 is a refresh.

Why would it be more than a front end refresh for new headlight housings? When the Flex was refreshed for '13 did that require a complete model redesign or was it simply an all new front end including all new headlight housings? For '16 it's a front and rear refresh with all NEW headlight housings.

By "headlight housing" I mean the actual, whole plastic headlight that houses the inner parts - whether halogens or HID's..........
That is what I understood from you initial post, 'the whole plastic headlight'. Each is designed for the OEM bulb it uses, That is why if you want to change from Halogen to HID, to do it properly, and legally in some jurisdictions, you must change the entire housing, not just the bulb. So if they go to LED lighting, the housing would also be different.

Peter

Although not an Explorer, the 15 Superduty has had LED on some of the mules driving around for testing. It is completely different wire harnesses on the LED headlights then the factory halogens. Unless you go 3rd party (if they are out there) with harness adapters, you won't be able to just switch from halogen to LED and think it's plug and play.

Although not an Explorer, the 15 Superduty has had LED on some of the mules driving around for testing. It is completely different wire harnesses on the LED headlights then the factory halogens. Unless you go 3rd party (if they are out there) with harness adapters, you won't be able to just switch from halogen to LED and think it's plug and play.

The '15 Super Duty is the same as '14 so I think you mean the '15 F150. LED headlights will be available on that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '15 Super Duty is the same as '14 so I think you mean the '15 F150. LED headlights will be available on that.

No, I know someone who tests vehicles for Ford and earlier this year they were testing out a 15 Superduty with HID and LED (2 different vehicles).

I'm hoping for the LEDs or HIDs to be on a Job 2 or Job 3 of the 15 Superduty.. Praying someone will have adapters to get them to work.

Back