• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer

Margie

Reaction score
City, State
North York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I wish this is the right spot and help and opinions. Been driving for more than 25 years with different cars. For a change, I decided to buy Ford Explorer 2016 which is I like so much about the features. I have no idea about cars mechanically and that drives me crazy about my truck. With excitement on the first weeks of driving it, I didn't notice any problem but after a couple of months noticeable defects are popping up. Driving my truck from park, I can hear a knuckle noise when I steer either left or right and I can even feel it with my foot on the gas. Ford mechanic told me "that's normal". Another issue is there so much noise coming in, sounds hizzing air. And when I accelerate, feels like a missing gear at the back and sometimes I can hear a rolling metal at the rear. I would appreciate any comments or suggestion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Margie.:wave:
Hard to tell about the "knuckle noise" but it could be something to do with the suspension I don't think "normal" would be the word. There have been problems with the 'A' pillar in the earlier models that produced a whistling type noise at highway speed but on the 2016 it could be the plastic cowl that runs along the outside bottom of the windshield. Several have reported that. Here is a thread on it; 2016 explorer ltd makes whining noise from passenger side dash board Don't know much about the rest unless something is loose in the back to make that metal sound.
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I wish this is the right spot and help and opinions. Been driving for more than 25 years with different cars. For a change, I decided to buy Ford Explorer 2016 which is I like so much about the features. I have no idea about cars mechanically and that drives me crazy about my truck. With excitement on the first weeks of driving it, I didn't notice any problem but after a couple of months noticeable defects are popping up. Driving my truck from park, I can hear a knuckle noise when I steer either left or right and I can even feel it with my foot on the gas. Ford mechanic told me "that's normal". Another issue is there so much noise coming in, sounds hizzing air. And when I accelerate, feels like a missing gear at the back and sometimes I can hear a rolling metal at the rear. I would appreciate any comments or suggestion.

I have this knuckle noise too. I feel it in my gas pedal. But only every so often and only after the car has sat for while. I'll feel it once then not again for some time.

Do you get it when first driving off or while driving?

Only occasionally while first driving. Like when I pull out of a parking spot it feel like slack being taken up in the drive-train if that makes sense. I can feel the thunk in my pedal. Then I don't hear it again. And it's not every time I take off.

Only occasionally while first driving. Like when I pull out of a parking spot it feel like slack being taken up in the drive-train if that makes sense. I can feel the thunk in my pedal. Then I don't hear it again. And it's not every time I take off.
Everything the vehicle starts off after being shut down it does an ABS self check. That is what you may be experiencing. Most times you likely won't notice it. It has been discussed before. Trying to find the thread. Check this; clunk sound.. pedal vibrates??

Peter

Back