2016 interceptor utility liftgate issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 interceptor utility liftgate issue

Gasman20369

Reaction score
City, State
Pleasantville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 fpiu
Hello I'm looking for some help, I purchased a 2016 interceptor utility (explorer) with 60k miles. Nice suv and in good shape. The issue I'm having is the trunk hatch. I do not have key fobs just a key. I can open the hatch with a key just fine. However if I hit the trunk unlock button and go to open it within 45sec it dose nothing. The light on the dash shows its unlocked. I tested the button it's good and the power wires show 10.7v if I feed it 12v with a power probe it works fine. Wires all look factory and good. I'm not sure what or where the issue is anyone have a idea?? I'm scratching my head.. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Can you actually hear it unlock?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Can you actually hear it unlock?

Peter
With the key it opens right when locked. I opened the hatch and pushed the latch with a screwdriver so it was locked then I sent 12 V through the lock and I watched it open right up.

I can only wonder if it was disable by whatever department had it. I believe there's a setting in Forscan for that....

I can only wonder if it was disable by whatever department had it. I believe there's a setting in Forscan for that....
Maybe you are on to something there, I figured they would probably have used the rear hatch a lot Was all of the equipment back there but I could be wrong. I'll have to get forescan and give it a try.

Maybe you are on to something there, I figured they would probably have used the rear hatch a lot Was all of the equipment back there but I could be wrong. I'll have to get forescan and give it a try.
I suppose it's possible that there was an upfit upgrade for the hatch release that was removed, too....

Sorry for long delay. I have finally found time to tinker with it again. I found some corrosion inside the outside trunk button, I replaced the button and i found that with the engine running and retesting i am getting 12 to 13v. now with that said i can hear a chirp or almost squeak sound every time i push the button on the liftgate. once the 45sec is up it dose nothing. i am hearing the chirp under the dash by the fuse box i think. witch is just fuses and they are all good. good it be a bad bcm? that is the only issue. as far as light not working inside i made some ground with forscan. I was able to turn off the police dark mode, everything works as normal with that. I also made sure to enable or turn on anything to do with liftgate or locks still no luck with the liftgate. its very annoying having to remove the key to open the trunk each time. I am so lost on this! if anyone has any ideas you would be a life safer. one last thing, ill post a pic of it. all the wiring on the rear hatch looks factory even the strobes are ford harnesses. other than this little black box i have no idea what its for it is double sided taped to the liftgate under the cover. if it has some involment im not sure just trying to fill in all the

Resized_Snapchat-516166074.jpeg

Hello I'm looking for some help, I purchased a 2016 interceptor utility (explorer) with 60k miles. Nice suv and in good shape. The issue I'm having is the trunk hatch. I do not have key fobs just a key. I can open the hatch with a key just fine. However if I hit the trunk unlock button and go to open it within 45sec it dose nothing. The light on the dash shows its unlocked. I tested the button it's good and the power wires show 10.7v if I feed it 12v with a power probe it works fine. Wires all look factory and good. I'm not sure what or where the issue is anyone have a idea?? I'm scratching my head.. thanks!
On my 2016 PIU you switch the key to on or start/running mode and touch the pull button between the top interior courtesy lights. You then have 45 secs to press a rubber ( kind of hidden button ) inside the lift gate/hatch handle. Then lift by hand as you do using key. Mine doesn't just pop open etc , You actually have to walk back there and trip the hidden button then lift up the hatch within 45 secs. Hopes this helps

Yes that sounds exactly right. That's how mine should work but it just will not open. The button by the map light works and shows the rear liftgate is unlocked. I go back to open it hit the rear button and nothing happens. As if the button is not even plugged in on the liftgate. But it is both it and the wires are good I've tested both. While hitting that button outside is when I hear the chirp sound under the dash, as soon as the 45sec is up the chirp will stop when pushing the button.

Yes that sounds exactly right. That's how mine should work but it just will not open. The button by the map light works and shows the rear liftgate is unlocked. I go back to open it hit the rear button and nothing happens. As if the button is not even plugged in on the liftgate. But it is both it and the wires are good I've tested both. While hitting that button outside is when I hear the chirp sound under the dash, as soon as the 45sec is up the chirp will stop when pushing the button.
That is unusual....And of course I got lucky and also have 1 remote with the hatch button that enables me to bypass the key in turn on or manual key hatch opening . Wish you luck. It really sounds like the hatch unlock actuator is not activating to release electronically. As when you touch the padded rubber button in the handle. Again I wish I knew more.

That is unusual....And of course I got lucky and also have 1 remote with the hatch button that enables me to bypass the key in turn on or manual key hatch opening . Wish you luck. It really sounds like the hatch unlock actuator is not activating to release electronically. As when you touch the padded rubber button in the handle. Again I wish I knew more.
Thanks I appreciate it!

Back