• Register Today It's free!

2016 Kick activated lift gate

s2upid

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
So i've had my 2016 Ford Explorer Limited for a week now, and i'm loving every minute of it except for oneee little thing..

I've noticed though is that the kick activated lift gate is pretty finicky.. I've noticed I have to unlock the car (even with the keys in my pocket) for it to be able to register the kicking motion. If I walk up to the car with the keys in my pocket and try to activate the lift gate via kicking under the bumper it won't do anything.

I feel like this defeats the purpose.. I mean if my hands are full, i'm going to have to fiddle around my pockets to unlock the car? I might as well double click the lift gate while my hands are on my keys.

Does anyone know if there's an option I have to set? Also it takes an average of 2 kicks to get the thing to open up.. annoyinggggg. :roll:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/exterior-features/foot-activated-liftgate.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would imagine the FOB has to be close enough to the vehicle for it to "see" it to allow it to work properly. Do some testing....having someone else hold the fob and you do the kick motion over and over while they hold the fob out and walk closer to the vehicle. This way you can see if it is a distance issue.

Otherwise it may just be one of the mounting quirks with the new style Explorer.

If it is a distance issue with the FOB, the receiver might be bad or Ford may need to tweak the programming (something engineering would need to do) to allow it to see further away. It could be a problem with all Explorers or it could be just yours.

how tall are you?

I find the wifey - no issues

me - about 50/50.

I think it's 2 things. Her shorter legs mean she's standing closer to the car when she tries and perhaps 2, her foot doesn't go as far past the sensor as mine might.

I find if I have the key in pocket (let's say left) and I use my left foot - but I'm standing at the bumper - it works.

if key in right pocket - and I'm say 6+ inches from the car - no dice.

it's an almost pointless feature anyway as press button up it comes.

and I like to remote start the thing anyway.

how tall are you?

I find the wifey - no issues

me - about 50/50.

I think it's 2 things. Her shorter legs mean she's standing closer to the car when she tries and perhaps 2, her foot doesn't go as far past the sensor as mine might.

I find if I have the key in pocket (let's say left) and I use my left foot - but I'm standing at the bumper - it works.

if key in right pocket - and I'm say 6+ inches from the car - no dice.

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Ford needs to increase the range a bit.

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Ford needs to increase the range a bit.

Yep. I'm 6'3 and have no problems using it. Granted I've only used it once in a real world scenario. The other times have been demonstrating the feature when people ask to see it. It's worked every time, although many times I'm sure the car was unlocked at the time.

I'm about 5'10" sooooo it shouldn't be that big of a deal.. my keys are normally in the back pocket.. maybe it is a range issue HMMMM. I'll try again with the keys in my front pocket.

I've read the explanation below while searching some other forums.. can't wait to get home and investigate a bit haha.

for locked car - 1 kick to unlock and then 1 more kick to open the gate.

In a '16 Sport, or rather ours, if the doors are locked, 1 kick opens the gate and the doors stay locked.

Try kicking under the bumper and then taking a step back.

I was testing out the kick to open feature at the dealer on the weekend prior to finalizing our sale and one of the sales guys told me to step back after kicking.

Seemed to work 90+% of the time for me when stepping back. I think that the proximity sensor works almost too good and needs to sense you step back from the tailgate so it knows you are out of the way.

Will test once we take delivery.

you know that might be the wifes issues. since she's shorter for her to get her foot under it she's closer to the bumper than I am.

good point.

Back