• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016 PIU Adding Fog Lamps

Street1049

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita Falls, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I'm about to be adding non-LED fog light assemblies to my 2016 PIU that came from the factory without them.

I know how to install them just fine, however I'm curious if there are any unforeseen steps to consider.

Such as are the wiring pigtails still there?

Is there any ForScan or dealer programming to be done to make them work?

Does the light control switch in the interior need to be changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
I'm about to be adding non-LED fog light assemblies to my 2016 PIU that came from the factory without them.

I know how to install them just fine, however I'm curious if there are any unforeseen steps to consider.

Such as are the wiring pigtails still there?

Is there any ForScan or dealer programming to be done to make them work?

Does the light control switch in the interior need to be changed?

I'm working on mine adding a fog lamps but don't have a chance to remove the bumper cover yet (looking for someone lend me their garage).

From what I've done now, other than installing the lamp itself, swapping the headlamp switch with fog lamp will be necessary if it is not already there.The original harness for the headlamp switch already wired with fog lamp option so it will be a simple swapping, and you can easily found the switch in most Ford part store, and any switch from retail model should works fine too. It should require nothing else to be done in the cabinet.

You will also need to use forscan to enable the fog lamp indicator on the dashboard and you can also do some small tweak like concurrent fog and high-beam (check your local regulation first tho).

For the wiring you really need to remove the bumper cover to check if the wires and harnesses are already in or you might need to DIY. I'm not up to there yet but hopefully some other thread in the forum would help you.

Good Luck and have fun playing with it.

zpd307

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I just added the factory fog lamps to my wifes piu. yes, the bumper cover/grill needs to come off. what I noticed is a big connector, on the left side, that needs to be disconnected in order to take the bumper cover off. there were only two wires coming off of that connector, which lead to the outside temp probe.
I went to the dealer and asked them to look up the part number for the fog light harness. there are several variations depending on what front accessories the vehicle would have, ex: park assist, fancy cruise control, ect ect. I chose GB5Z-15K867-A, as it had the fog light connectors and the least amount of other gizmo connectors, that I wont be installing anyways. it cost me $37 shipped and should be here any day. the harness will wrap around the inside of the bumper cover from that left big connector to the right side. there are holes in the new fog light bezel for the harness to connect to.
I did not take note of the wires coming to that big connector, I want to say that there were only two as well. this tells me that I will have to add the wires and pins to it and run them back into the bcm. the dealer also printed the diagrams and connector pinouts for me for the bcm, headlight switch with the auto headlights/fogs, and the connector for the fog light harness.
I will have to take the bumper cover off again, in order to run the new harness. I plan on taking some pics in order to shed light on this project.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

zpd307

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
Thanks! I tried posting a pic of it, for better illustration, but i cant figure how to post stuff.....

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I don't have that part number but when I do a search on the parts site for the number identified above for the 2016-17 I get a message that it doesn't fit a 2013 and then it provides 3 other part numbers. Just be aware that there was no confirmation received that the part shown in the previous posts was the correct one.
2016-2017 Ford Wire Harness GB5Z-15K867-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter