• Register Today It's free!

2016 PIU Adding Fog Lamps

Street1049

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita Falls, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I'm about to be adding non-LED fog light assemblies to my 2016 PIU that came from the factory without them.

I know how to install them just fine, however I'm curious if there are any unforeseen steps to consider.

Such as are the wiring pigtails still there?

Is there any ForScan or dealer programming to be done to make them work?

Does the light control switch in the interior need to be changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to be adding non-LED fog light assemblies to my 2016 PIU that came from the factory without them.

I know how to install them just fine, however I'm curious if there are any unforeseen steps to consider.

I'm working on mine adding a fog lamps but don't have a chance to remove the bumper cover yet (looking for someone lend me their garage).

From what I've done now, other than installing the lamp itself, swapping the headlamp switch with fog lamp will be necessary if it is not already there.The original harness for the headlamp switch already wired with fog lamp option so it will be a simple swapping, and you can easily found the switch in most Ford part store, and any switch from retail model should works fine too. It should require nothing else to be done in the cabinet.

You will also need to use forscan to enable the fog lamp indicator on the dashboard and you can also do some small tweak like concurrent fog and high-beam (check your local regulation first tho).

For the wiring you really need to remove the bumper cover to check if the wires and harnesses are already in or you might need to DIY. I'm not up to there yet but hopefully some other thread in the forum would help you.

Good Luck and have fun playing with it.

I just added the factory fog lamps to my wifes piu. yes, the bumper cover/grill needs to come off. what I noticed is a big connector, on the left side, that needs to be disconnected in order to take the bumper cover off. there were only two wires coming off of that connector, which lead to the outside temp probe.
I went to the dealer and asked them to look up the part number for the fog light harness. there are several variations depending on what front accessories the vehicle would have, ex: park assist, fancy cruise control, ect ect. I chose GB5Z-15K867-A, as it had the fog light connectors and the least amount of other gizmo connectors, that I wont be installing anyways. it cost me $37 shipped and should be here any day. the harness will wrap around the inside of the bumper cover from that left big connector to the right side. there are holes in the new fog light bezel for the harness to connect to.
I did not take note of the wires coming to that big connector, I want to say that there were only two as well. this tells me that I will have to add the wires and pins to it and run them back into the bcm. the dealer also printed the diagrams and connector pinouts for me for the bcm, headlight switch with the auto headlights/fogs, and the connector for the fog light harness.
I will have to take the bumper cover off again, in order to run the new harness. I plan on taking some pics in order to shed light on this project.

Thanks! I tried posting a pic of it, for better illustration, but i cant figure how to post stuff.....

I don't have that part number but when I do a search on the parts site for the number identified above for the 2016-17 I get a message that it doesn't fit a 2013 and then it provides 3 other part numbers. Just be aware that there was no confirmation received that the part shown in the previous posts was the correct one.
2016-2017 Ford Wire Harness GB5Z-15K867-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Hello,
and in my PIU 2015 there were police fog lights as in the picture (I guess it was flasher lights).
Frog light PIU.jpg

They worked when I was using the switch (fog light) in white, but one of them had a broken mount. Now I bought new with H11 bulbs..
Amazon product ASIN B096VNJQZS
And I have to add a plug, but I don't know how to connect. because there were four wires in the old lamps and two in the new ones.

fog light wires.jpg

Hello,
and in my PIU 2015 there were police fog lights as in the picture (I guess it was flasher lights).
View attachment 425417
They worked when I was using the switch (fog light) in white, but one of them had a broken mount. Now I bought new with H11 bulbs..
Amazon product ASIN B096VNJQZS
And I have to add a plug, but I don't know how to connect. because there were four wires in the old lamps and two in the new ones.

View attachment 425419
It looks like a Whelen PAR28DJ. Here's the installation guide attached. The black seems to be ground as always. You can do some simple test figure out which one triggers the all white fog on the whelen, and that will be the wire going into the positive of your new fog.

Edited: Remember to seal and tie the unused wires to prevent hazard.

Cheapest way that I will be doing is just throwing in a switch off a relay.

I just added the factory fog lamps to my wifes piu. yes, the bumper cover/grill needs to come off. what I noticed is a big connector, on the left side, that needs to be disconnected in order to take the bumper cover off. there were only two wires coming off of that connector, which lead to the outside temp probe.
I went to the dealer and asked them to look up the part number for the fog light harness. there are several variations depending on what front accessories the vehicle would have, ex: park assist, fancy cruise control, ect ect. I chose GB5Z-15K867-A, as it had the fog light connectors and the least amount of other gizmo connectors, that I wont be installing anyways. it cost me $37 shipped and should be here any day. the harness will wrap around the inside of the bumper cover from that left big connector to the right side. there are holes in the new fog light bezel for the harness to connect to.
I did not take note of the wires coming to that big connector, I want to say that there were only two as well. this tells me that I will have to add the wires and pins to it and run them back into the bcm. the dealer also printed the diagrams and connector pinouts for me for the bcm, headlight switch with the auto headlights/fogs, and the connector for the fog light harness.
I will have to take the bumper cover off again, in order to run the new harness. I plan on taking some pics in order to shed light on this project.
How much of a PITA is it to disassemble that front end?
I have to change out the red/blue strobes for white LEDs or yellow amber strobes along with doing the fog lights this summer.

It looks like a Whelen PAR28DJ. Here's the installation guide attached. The black seems to be ground as always. You can do some simple test figure out which one triggers the all white fog on the whelen, and that will be the wire going into the positive of your new fog.

Edited: Remember to seal and tie the unused wires to prevent hazard.
Thx Edougawa a lot, it helped me a lot ;)
Of course I will secure or remove the remaining wires, and maybe they will be useful for the LED daylight in the lower grill.
lower grill PIU.jpg

have a nice day and travel with PIU.

Of course I will secure or remove the remaining wires, and maybe they will be useful for the LED daylight in the lower grill.
View attachment 425438

I believe those cutouts in the plastic grill were for the lower brackets of a Setina push bar.

View attachment 425438

I was interested in these PARs when I first adding the fogs. But they are too expensive so I ends up getting a pair of halo fog from JEEP and modified them into my PIU.

Have fun playing around with it.

I believe those cutouts in the plastic grill were for the lower brackets of a Setina push bar.
Agree 100% On the Setina bracket cut out

Back