• Register Today It's free!

2016 PIU. Aftermarket Remote.

coroark1

Reaction score
City, State
naylor
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I have a 2016 PIU. So it doesn't have a remote door unlock. I really don't want remote start. Could I just buy and install an aftermarket door remote instead of going to a dealer to get it turned on and then getting an oem remote programmed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course you can...I'm sure the aftermarket sells something like this...although I would assume most are tied to an alarm system.

I have to ask...why? I bought the factory fobs for my '16....and the dealer programmed without issue. They need to use IDS to enter the 48 digit code inside each remote.

Of course you can...I'm sure the aftermarket sells something like this...although I would assume most are tied to an alarm system.

I have to ask...why? I bought the factory fobs for my '16....and the dealer programmed without issue. They need to use IDS to enter the 48 digit code inside each remote.
Thanks for responding. I must be crazy because nobody else on the internet has this idea. But there are alot of posts from people who get jerked around by Ford dealers. And even if that doesn't happen. I have to pay for the service, and buy OEM Ford fobs. Then if I ever need a new fob I have to get them to program it too. Also, it seems that when they turn on the factory system it makes the back hatch act like a normal Explorer. I like the way it is now. My way is to buy a kit one time and splice four wires. I just want the doors to lock and unlock and nothing else. I was worried about problems with a car alarm but it looks like the police cars don't have them. If this works maybe other people might like the idea.

Thanks for responding. I must be crazy because nobody else on the internet has this idea. But there are alot of posts from people who get jerked around by Ford dealers. And even if that doesn't happen. I have to pay for the service, and buy OEM Ford fobs. Then if I ever need a new fob I have to get them to program it too. Also, it seems that when they turn on the factory system it makes the back hatch act like a normal Explorer. I like the way it is now. My way is to buy a kit one time and splice four wires. I just want the doors to lock and unlock and nothing else. I was worried about problems with a car alarm but it looks like the police cars don't have them. If this works maybe other people might like the idea.
Have it your way...

I'm others have thought to install aftermarket lock and unlock systems. I considered doing the same, but decided against. There's no shortage of aftermarket alarms and keyless entry. I don't know if the aftermarket alarms would "unlock" the rear door...??

I can say that my dealer set up the fobs, and they work exactly as the Interceptor should. The doors lock and unlock and unlock with the correct buttons.....and the hatch button on the remote works exactly as the one in the overhead console, giving you so much time to open from the outside. You can also select to have all doors unlock with the first press...or the driver's door with the first press...the rest on a second. (This you do yourself once they are programmed)

I also programmed the factory perimeter alarm to work...

Yea, if you buy a usb to OBD2 with HS/LS settings, you can program all of this yourself. It's all click interface, with mostly helpful descriptions. I went in and changed a slew of things, I think (but I'm not 100%) that you can enable the locks aside from the hatch. But I also disabled dark mode, because it's nice to have lights on when you open a door at night, turned on DRLs, enabled remote start and enabled the alarm along with a few other various settings. It's nice to be able to pick and choose what you want, all for free. I just bought a $25 chinese fake ford key on Amazon and it works perfectly well, but no where near as good as an OEM one. For like $50 I bought the cable and the key and had remote locks like a normal vehicle.

Also, it seems that when they turn on the factory system it makes the back hatch act like a normal Explorer

Hello All -

I went the route that MattMPA did and have factory FOBs. I went further and purchased a program from FLVPMods to remove the PI hatch release timer - it annoyed me.

With that being said, I can say for certain that the factory FOBs, just on their own without any other programming, will ONLY lock/unlock the doors and the hatch button will NOT disable the timed hatch switch in the cabin. The hatch button on the FOB will only work once, just like the switch in the cabin, and has to be pushed every time to unlock the hatch. It does not 'all lock/unlock' with the door buttons.

Because of this, I have to agree with MattMPA as well - not sure that an aftermarket system will unlock the hatch, unless the control module can be programmed (?)

nathan

Yea, if you buy a usb to OBD2 with HS/LS settings, you can program all of this yourself. It's all click interface, with mostly helpful descriptions. I went in and changed a slew of things, I think (but I'm not 100%) that you can enable the locks aside from the hatch. But I also disabled dark mode, because it's nice to have lights on when you open a door at night, turned on DRLs, enabled remote start and enabled the alarm along with a few other various settings. It's nice to be able to pick and choose what you want, all for free. I just bought a $25 chinese fake ford key on Amazon and it works perfectly well, but no where near as good as an OEM one. For like $50 I bought the cable and the key and had remote locks like a normal vehicle.
Hey, you mentioned "enabled remote start". Does it work? And if so, which fob did you get working with it? Did you have to add a remote start antenna?

Hey, you mentioned "enabled remote start". Does it work? And if so, which fob did you get working with it? Did you have to add a remote start antenna?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

'16 and later cannot program fobs or enable remote with Forscan. You CAN turn on the remote start options in the IPC, but need an aftermarket solution to turn it on and off. The one I installed uses the factory fob when you press "lock" three times.

'16 and later cannot program fobs or enable remote with Forscan. You CAN turn on the remote start options in the IPC, but need an aftermarket solution to turn it on and off. The one I installed uses the factory fob when you press "lock" three times.
Thanks for your reply. I was able to program factory fobs (without remote start buttons) using an Autel scanner. The Autel allowed me to enter the codes that come with the fobs and everything worked great. I was also able to enable the alarm with Forscan and it works as well. Now I'm trying to figure out if a factory option exist for remote start. I know there are aftermaket solutions but I really like to stay as original as possible. I had a dealer tell me they believe that FT4Z19A361A and EL3Z19G364B would work and am considering buying this.

Hello USA and All:

There is a factory option, but I decided against it as it had a separate FOB for the remote start, and also required wiring an antenna up the A pillar, across the headliner, and having the antenna hang down behind the rear view mirror. Mainly, I didn't want a second FOB, which is why I went with the 12VoltSolutions offering.

I used to have the Ford part number for the factory kit, but deleted it when I went aftermarket. I am OE+ like you, and want to have everything 'factory', but on this one.... I have no regrets.

nathan

Hello USA and All:

There is a factory option, but I decided against it as it had a separate FOB for the remote start, and also required wiring an antenna up the A pillar, across the headliner, and having the antenna hang down behind the rear view mirror. Mainly, I didn't want a second FOB, which is why I went with the 12VoltSolutions offering.

I used to have the Ford part number for the factory kit, but deleted it when I went aftermarket. I am OE+ like you, and want to have everything 'factory', but on this one.... I have no regrets.

nathan
I saw installations where they just mounted the antenna behind the glove box instead of hanging it high. Probably less range, but I'd be fine with that. I may give in and get the 12voltsolutions one. I wonder if it works with all of the remote start options within the BCM and the ICP though.

I saw installations where they just mounted the antenna behind the glove box instead of hanging it high. Probably less range, but I'd be fine with that. I may give in and get the 12voltsolutions one. I wonder if it works with all of the remote start options within the BCM and the ICP though.
I'm using a Fortin EvoAll via the factory fobs. Hood switch works, and I installed a valet switch. I also connected the parking lights to work when running on remote start.

Range is very good and yes, the IPC options work. In '16 and later you are only using the aftermarket unit to turn on the factory remote start system. No separate antenna....

Hello again USA -

From my 2 calls to 12Volt, they say you just have to enable the remote start menu (for me, that'll be with IDS when my guy gets back in town), and it will work. I can't 100% vouch for it since I have not enabled it yet, but everything else they have told me about their product has proven true. I will update on this when my IDS guy returns.

As an aside, something that I mention in the other thread on this topic, there is an added benefit to the 12Volt option: for $39/year, (1st year included with purchase of the app module*) it is connected via cellular and provides a real-time GPS location on a map. My friend has one for his F250, and we have both done tests with this and the GPS locating is quite accurate, even when moving.

For me, when my insurance company asked if I had 'theft tracking' on my vehicle, I answered 'yes'. They then asked 'is it subscription-based tracking', and for $39/year I answered 'yes' again... so there is some offset over time for me.

*now the asterisk... There are TWO items you have to purchase if you want to be able to use a smartphone app with the system. The first is the remote start module (works with the factory keyFOB either LOCK-LOCK-LOCK, or LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK to start when in close range). The second is what they call the 'app module', which allows for over the air start/stop/lock/unlock functions from anywhere.

They do offer 'long range' FOBS, that are separate from the factory units, but if you are going to get the app module, they are irrelevant.

BASIC KIT w/ OPTIONS

APP MODULE (not sure if this is the correct one)

and finally, I ordered the 'forever warranty' with each item. Because, you know... electronics.

Hope this helps a bit.

nathan

I'm using a Fortin EvoAll via the factory fobs. Hood switch works, and I installed a valet switch. I also connected the parking lights to work when running on remote start.

Range is very good and yes, the IPC options work. In '16 and later you are only using the aftermarket unit to turn on the factory remote start system. No separate antenna....
That's what I'm confused about. I thought the remote start was already a part of the system, meaning there really is no extra parts needed. So why is an extra module needed to turn on the factory system? I don't have a clear understanding about that.
I like the price of the Fortin. Seems reasonable.

Hello again USA -

From my 2 calls to 12Volt, they say you just have to enable the remote start menu (for me, that'll be with IDS when my guy gets back in town), and it will work. I can't 100% vouch for it since I have not enabled it yet, but everything else they have told me about their product has proven true. I will update on this when my IDS guy returns.

As an aside, something that I mention in the other thread on this topic, there is an added benefit to the 12Volt option: for $39/year, (1st year included with purchase of the app module*) it is connected via cellular and provides a real-time GPS location on a map. My friend has one for his F250, and we have both done tests with this and the GPS locating is quite accurate, even when moving.

For me, when my insurance company asked if I had 'theft tracking' on my vehicle, I answered 'yes'. They then asked 'is it subscription-based tracking', and for $39/year I answered 'yes' again... so there is some offset over time for me.

*now the asterisk... There are TWO items you have to purchase if you want to be able to use a smartphone app with the system. The first is the remote start module (works with the factory keyFOB either LOCK-LOCK-LOCK, or LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK to start when in close range). The second is what they call the 'app module', which allows for over the air start/stop/lock/unlock functions from anywhere.

They do offer 'long range' FOBS, that are separate from the factory units, but if you are going to get the app module, they are irrelevant.

BASIC KIT w/ OPTIONS

APP MODULE (not sure if this is the correct one)

and finally, I ordered the 'forever warranty' with each item. Because, you know... electronics.

Hope this helps a bit.

nathan
That's certainly something for me to consider. I have that with my 2020 Fusion included with FordPass. I have to admit it's nice to have. Thanks for the links. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for your reply. I was able to program factory fobs (without remote start buttons) using an Autel scanner. The Autel allowed me to enter the codes that come with the fobs and everything worked great. I was also able to enable the alarm with Forscan and it works as well. Now I'm trying to figure out if a factory option exist for remote start. I know there are aftermaket solutions but I really like to stay as original as possible. I had a dealer tell me they believe that FT4Z19A361A and EL3Z19G364B would work and am considering buying this.
What a second...!

You programmed OEM key FOBs to the 2016 PIU without touching IDS or having to deal with a dealer? (Of course after enabling it in forscan!)

Who has Autel scanners? Is it a popular brand that all sorts of mechanics and the like may have?

Please explain, as I'm having trouble with this currently.

That's what I'm confused about. I thought the remote start was already a part of the system, meaning there really is no extra parts needed. So why is an extra module needed to turn on the factory system? I don't have a clear understanding about that.
I like the price of the Fortin. Seems reasonable.
The ability to have remote start is built into the vehicle. The ability to turn it on and off is not. That's what I use the Fortin for.

In my case, even before I enabled the r/s options in the IPC....the Fortin worked. The truck defaults to "automatic" for the HVAC when on remote start. Adding the r/s options in the IPC allow you to select how long the engine runs, if the HVAC uses "last settings" or "automatic:", etc.

The short story is....for '16 and later...you need a r/s module to make remote start function.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ability to have remote start is built into the vehicle. The ability to turn it on and off is not. That's what I use the Fortin for.

In my case, even before I enabled the r/s options in the IPC....the Fortin worked. The truck defaults to "automatic" for the HVAC when on remote start. Adding the r/s options in the IPC allow you to select how long the engine runs, if the HVAC uses "last settings" or "automatic:", etc.

The short story is....for '16 and later...you need a r/s module to make remote start function.
Ok thanks for that info. That's exactly what I want... the ability to customize the options in the IPC. The Fortin is now on my list of considerations.

Back