2016 PIU with no SYNC upgrade installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 PIU with no SYNC upgrade installed

Reaction score
City, State
Nazareth, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
So, I purchased my 2016 PIU under false pretenses that it had the SYNC system pre-installed from the factory (It was in the vehicle's description). Since I went in green on the purchases in regards to the ACM options, I took their word for it. So, long story sort, no phone Bluetooth ability, bla bla bla. The dealership that sold me the vehicle told me that they would buy for whatever $$ amount it takes, the hardware to make it happen. The problem is that my friend and Ford IDS programming tech tell me that you cannot just swap units out because of the VIN. He told me if I found instructions how to do it, he would happily program it for me. This is specific to the 2016, 17 & 18 systems. Does anyone have any insight on this ? Supposedly I cannot even install an aftermarket system either. TIA !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Jeff. Did you mean to say can or can not in this sentence? "The problem is that my friend and Ford IDS programming tech tell me that you can just swap units out because of the VIN."

Peter

Hey Jeff. Did you mean to say can or can not in this sentence? "The problem is that my friend and Ford IDS programming tech tell me that you can just swap units out because of the VIN."

Peter
Thanks Peter. I stand corrected and made the edit. I meant “cannot”.

So far I've never seen anyone install Sync, flat out, into a vehicle that doesn't have it. Even the most talented aftermarket upfitters haven't accomplished it.

You may want to see if you can swap in a more advanced head unit that can do far more, or negotiate yourself a nice discount with the dealership.

So far I've never seen anyone install Sync, flat out, into a vehicle that doesn't have it. Even the most talented aftermarket upfitters haven't accomplished it.

You may want to see if you can swap in a more advanced head unit that can do far more, or negotiate yourself a nice discount with the dealership.
I appreciate the info. I’m thinking the same thing. I have also heard that it revolves around Microsoft license agreement with the deployed VIN and/or serial#. I’ll see what the dealer says.

It's an entirely different under-dash wiring harness to connect the additional modules. If the module is present & connected properly, it should be detected and, if so, will be programmable.

In addition to the challenge of installing a new wiring harness, the "soft" issue is that Ford's database for SYNC does know which vehicles are supposed to have SYNC, so it wouldn't be able to update software with the non-SYNC vehicle's VIN on the MyFord website, nor do other things reliant on that service. Perhaps that's the issue you heard about regarding the MS license, which may be why that website just says "Your vehicle is not equipped with SYNC" if you try to do anything SYNC-related.

I do not know if Ford will allow a VIN to be SYNC-enabled in their database after it has been built as a non-SYNC vehicle. It would be necessary to have the VIN of a SYNC-equipped vehicle to use with the website. It may be necessary to change all modules containing the VIN (either by reprogramming or swapping them out) so that it'd be a SYNC-equipped VIN from all but the physical, stamped-steel numbers.

That's probably the main reason why folks don't attempt this, it seems like so much work that if one wants SYNC that badly, it's less work and potential expense to just start with the SYNC-equipped vehicle.

I might try this, since I'm scrapping a wrecked Interceptor with SYNC and might attempt to move the parts over to my non-SYNC Interceptor. I've seen many of the differences, and I haven't even gotten all the under-dash wiring freed from the wreck. I'm also a little insane when it comes to projects/challenges like this, and there are other reasons I have to stick with the particular vehicle I have, whether or not it has SYNC.

I have no reason to doubt Jason, but his site is pretty explicit about this issue:

OEM SYNC (BT PHONE/USB) CAN'T BE ADDED TO PI VEHICLES - YOU MUST GO WITH AN AFTERMARKET KIT

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOUR PI VEHICLES BE ORDERED WITH SYNC!!!!!!

It seems like kobresia's option would work, but realistically, I can't imagine too many people are going to bother going that route (costly, time consuming, overall burdensome).

If your dealer is willing to buy you whatever it takes, just have them buy you an aftermarket kit or ask them to take the vehicle back and replace it with one that has sync. Those are really the only two realistic options.

This really kills me. I just got a 2018 PIU without sync, media button obviously doesn't work. But what has thrown me off is that the bluetooth mic is there by the sun visor and so is the wiring harness. Haven't pulled out the stereo area to investigate but it gave me a glimmer of hope.

All I am looking to do is add bluetooth connection to my phone for music, I am looking at Ford PIU modes as a last ditch, but its nice to control using the steering wheel options.

I haven't found any aftermarket options other then havis computer Tesla look for $3500.00. That being said its meant to be for police systems but its essentially runs the car similar to a Tesla and even adds video and bluetooth.

This is a city owner take home vehicle. So I actually have access to all the Sync parts from flooded out Fusions I could ever want just don't know if it will be possible. Also have access to IDS in our shop.

I can't say what is out there for aftermarket stuff that will integrate with the vehicle, but for phone use, there are plenty of hands-free options with speakers for not a lot of money ($20-70) - some can hold phone or allow phone to be left in pocket/purse.

For phone and audio streaming, there are lots of options with FM transmitters for similar prices.

Maybe not ideal solutions as they are not exactly comparable to sync, but there are options out there if one wants to go this route.

Welcome to the Forum BlueEagle. :wave:
It's possible that the same headliner is installed in several Explorers whether or not they have a Bluetooth connection or not. Saves $$$. Just a guess though. Good luck.

Peter

Sorry to revive a old post..... My story, I have 3 2018 PIU's, all were ordered with sync, all have the mic in the headliner but no USB or 3.5mm jacks, the other 18 ordered did have them, well, no sync in these cars, and I kind of need it. My dealer is ....... at a loss, any suggestions?

Sorry to revive a old post..... My story, I have 3 2018 PIU's, all were ordered with sync, all have the mic in the headliner but no USB or 3.5mm jacks, the other 18 ordered did have them, well, no sync in these cars, and I kind of need it. My dealer is ....... at a loss, any suggestions?
Not sure I follow. You ordered 21 vehicles and 18 were equipped as you ordered and the other 3 were not? If so, the fix is simple, don't take delivery and have the dealer reorder the 3 wrong ones. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know how to handle things, unless they made the mistake and are trying to cover their ass. If there's more to the story, please share.

Not sure I follow. You ordered 21 vehicles and 18 were equipped as you ordered and the other 3 were not? If so, the fix is simple, don't take delivery and have the dealer reorder the 3 wrong ones. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know how to handle things, unless they made the mistake and are trying to cover their ass. If there's more to the story, please share.

Dealer ordered them wrong, our PO is specific as to options included, 3 vehicles have no sync. Delivery was taken 5 months ago, vehicles have been undercoated, marked up etc., 2 of the 3 have been unfitted, and it was when assigned officers tried to sync their “beat” phones the problem was discovered, and we turned up another after I posted this.

Cutoff for 2019 models was September 21st, so it’s not like they can just order a replacement, was looking to see if anyone had a “fix”.

The dealer already gave me the “it can’t be added” speech, just like nav couldn’t be added to my f150’s?

Dealer ordered them wrong, our PO is specific as to options included, 3 vehicles have no sync. Delivery was taken 5 months ago, vehicles have been undercoated, marked up etc., 2 of the 3 have been unfitted, and it was when assigned officers tried to sync their “beat” phones the problem was discovered, and we turned up another after I posted this.

Cutoff for 2019 models was September 21st, so it’s not like they can just order a replacement, was looking to see if anyone had a “fix”.

The dealer already gave me the “it can’t be added” speech, just like nav couldn’t be added to my f150’s?
Unfortunately, this one could go either way. Dealer messed up, but you accepted delivery. Were you actually charged for and did you pay for the option on all the vehicles?

I would have your legal department send the dealer a letter explaining the situation and informing them that you are formally notifying them as soon as you were aware that the items you ordered did not meet the contracted specs. I would cc Ford also so they are aware. If they choose to blow you off, your only recourse is probably legal. Good luck.

Worst case, assuming you guys are the local PD where the dealer is located, and the dealer refuses to address the issue, you could probably make the lives of the dealer principals a living hell. Maybe arrest them and plant some drugs or SWAT them and kill their dog...I kid, I kid...

Unfortunately, this one could go either way. Dealer messed up, but you accepted delivery. Were you actually charged for and did you pay for the option on all the vehicles?

I would have your legal department send the dealer a letter explaining the situation and informing them that you are formally notifying them as soon as you were aware that the items you ordered did not meet the contracted specs. I would cc Ford also so they are aware. If they choose to blow you off, your only recourse is probably legal. Good luck.

Worst case, assuming you guys are the local PD where the dealer is located, and the dealer refuses to address the issue, you could probably make the lives of the dealer principals a living hell. Maybe arrest them and plant some drugs or SWAT them and kill their dog...I kid, I kid...

We were charged, dealer forgot to input the info on the order, they will "fix" it, or our prosecutors office can deal with it, I was looking to see if there was a fix, i.e., add an APIM and a harness etc....

If it's just a matter of the officers in question using their phones, this Motorola visor speaker essentially does what SYNC does (including voice commands) for barely over $50.

Motorola Bluetooth Visor Speaker 723155982150 | eBay

Mind you, this is on the expensive end for such devices, there are many for under $20, even under $10.

If it's just a matter of the officers in question using their phones, this Motorola visor speaker essentially does what SYNC does (including voice commands) for barely over $50.

Motorola Bluetooth Visor Speaker 723155982150 | eBay

Mind you, this is on the expensive end for such devices, there are many for under $20, even under $10.

We have bought those in the past, many complaints, the Chief Deputy hated it, his next car had sync.

I pulled the dash apart on one with sync, I'll need to look at the pin outs, but I am betting it is a harness from the APIM to back of the radio, of course it's all taped in..... but I have a wrecked (totaled) 18' with sync, when I get a minute, I'll do some digging.....with a razor knife to see what goes where.

Chief Deputies usually hate everything. Heck, I have a Battalion Chief who doesn't like apple pie. SYNC ain't gonna help people like that, trust me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I purchased my 2016 PIU under false pretenses that it had the SYNC system pre-installed from the factory (It was in the vehicle's description). Since I went in green on the purchases in regards to the ACM options, I took their word for it. So, long story sort, no phone Bluetooth ability, bla bla bla. The dealership that sold me the vehicle told me that they would buy for whatever $$ amount it takes, the hardware to make it happen. The problem is that my friend and Ford IDS programming tech tell me that you cannot just swap units out because of the VIN. He told me if I found instructions how to do it, he would happily program it for me. This is specific to the 2016, 17 & 18 systems. Does anyone have any insight on this ? Supposedly I cannot even install an aftermarket system either. TIA !
Why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense. Do u know why

Back