• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016 Platinum Late Production?

almost-chic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 jeep outlander
After a lot of research, I finally found the SUV of my dreams! Contacted my dealer,he says that the Explorer Platinum is going to be a late production, and probably not available until the fall. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows more details about when the Platinum will actually be available.

Can someone give me some hope?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Truckguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
After a lot of research, I finally found the SUV of my dreams! Contacted my dealer,he says that the Explorer Platinum is going to be a late production, and probably not available until the fall. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows more details about when the Platinum will actually be available.

Can someone give me some hope?

Orders for the new 2016's are in effect now, and delivery should be
in June at the latest.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
I checked with my sources and was told there is currently no anticipated delay in Platinum builds after the "OK to Sell" order is given.

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
According to the latest order guide (2/27), Platinum is Late Availability. That could change as production gets closer.

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I checked with my sources and was told there is currently no anticipated delay in Platinum builds after the "OK to Sell" order is given.

I ordered a 2016 Platinum before Christmas last year, and it hasn't been scheduled to be built yet. Job One for non-Platinum models is May 4, and I've been told that they'll start building the Platinum models on or about July 1.

Please reply if you have different info. Thanks!

almost-chic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 jeep outlander
So I've asked around a few dealers. They all told me I couldn't order a car because they themselves were unsure of what items world be produced and when. H ow are you guys doing the ordering?

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
So I've asked around a few dealers. They all told me I couldn't order a car because they themselves were unsure of what items world be produced and when. H ow are you guys doing the ordering?

The official Ford Order Guide for the 2016 Explorer has been available since early December last year. I already have the Order Number for my Platinum and have confirmed acceptance of the order by Ford. Now all I need is for them to schedule, build, and ship it. I ordered so early, that it's possible my Platinum will be Job One among retail orders for this model.

Tell your favorite dealership to print a copy of the Official 2016 Ford Explorer Order Guide available to anyone here:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?Object_Name=0900cad9821938a2

I hope this information is helpful to you.

slay65

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Expedition
I already have the Order Number for my Platinum and have confirmed acceptance of the order by Ford.

Exit32, please keep us informed of any order status updates on your Platinum. Planning to order a new Explorer for my family. Just not sure of which model yet. Platinum is a possibility but leaning toward limited right now. But my preference changes hourly.

japes

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Raptor
The official Ford Order Guide for the 2016 Explorer has been available since early December last year. I already have the Order Number for my Platinum and have confirmed acceptance of the order by Ford. Now all I need is for them to schedule, build, and ship it. I ordered so early, that it's possible my Platinum will be Job One among retail orders for this model.

Tell your favorite dealership to print a copy of the Official 2016 Ford Explorer Order Guide available to anyone here:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?Object_Name=0900cad9821938a2

I hope this information is helpful to you.

The current order guide that was released Friday still shows late availability for Platinum trims. Even if Platinums are available at job 1 ordered units are not scheduled into production until after the okay to ship has been given after the batch and hold. You're probably looking at Late June/July before delivery, will be later if Platinums keep the late availability status.

Tremor2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I just ordered a Platinum today and my salesman also told me late availability. He went to check and was told sometime in June.
Has anyone heard weather black leather will be available? The ceramic leather is my only reservation, but I ordered anyway.

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
... Has anyone heard weather black leather will be available? The ceramic leather is my only reservation, but I ordered anyway.

Hi Tremor2014,

I checked out the 2016 Order Guide and I'm only seeing the ceramic option for the Platinum. I'd recommend keeping in close contact with your sales rep; they'll be the first to know if anything changes. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Mikeenh

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
2016 Platinum

Ordered a black 2016 platinum April 15th. I too wish there was a black interior. I'd even go for grey.
Hoping for an early production. The dealer gets my 2013 Sport with a lot more miles on it the longer it takes for the platinum to arrive.

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ordered a black 2016 platinum April 15th. I too wish there was a black interior. I'd even go for grey.
Hoping for an early production. The dealer gets my 2013 Sport with a lot more miles on it the longer it takes for the platinum to arrive.

Hey, folks!

If you're like Mikeenh and pulled the trigger on a 2016 Explorer, don't forget that I'll be happy to provide you with weekly status updates on your new ride. Just send me a private message (PM) with your order number and dealership name/location; I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

Tremor2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Hey, folks!

If you're like Mikeenh and pulled the trigger on a 2016 Explorer, don't forget that I'll be happy to provide you with weekly status updates on your new ride. Just send me a private message (PM) with your order number and dealership name/location; I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

I did also last Friday. I ordered a Platinum,black with 2nd row buckets and no console. From what my salesman told me, I probably won't see it till close to July at the earliest.

Blueflame16

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Lincoln B/l Aviator
I ordered mine yesterday. I know that production starts on May 4th, but not sure when the platinum production starts.. Hopefully very soon.

Tremor2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I got an email from my salesman today with my order confirmation number. He told me the Platinum is still showing late availability with no info as to why. All of the other models are showing "dealer ordered" on all of the local dealer websites.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I did also last Friday. I ordered a Platinum,black with 2nd row buckets and no console. From what my salesman told me, I probably won't see it till close to July at the earliest.
There is a post that says that a salesman said Job 1 on the platinum begins July1st. If that is accurate, then I wouldn't expect to see them on the lots until mid to end of August.

Peter

jdmac27

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Ebony Black Seats added to Platnium Series

I posted this earlier in the Stock forum... but since it was discussed previously in this thread, I'll cross post here too...

For those of you wishing the Platinum came with a choice of interior color, your wish has been granted... (Platinum series still listed as late availability)

Updated order guide here:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/order-guides/?geography=NATL&brand=Ford&model=Explorer

Anyone have an update on expected build date for the Platinum?

NewYorkistanSux

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Damn, I would have waited to test drive a platinum if I knew ebony interior was available.

So is this super late availability as compared to late availability for the ceramic interior? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blueflame16

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Lincoln B/l Aviator
Received my VIN number today

I was informed by Crystal at ford service that I now have a VIN number for my 2016 Platinum explorer that I ordered on April 30th. Does anyone know what my estimated ETA would be? And if it's possible to track it's progress with the vin number on some kind of tracking system.