2016 Powerlift Gate Won't Open When Car Locked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Powerlift Gate Won't Open When Car Locked

Palmz43

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a weird problem with my 2016 Ford Explorer. The liftgate button works when the car is unlocked but does not work when the car is locked and the intelligent key is with me. The liftgate button on our remote will open the liftgate when the car is unlocked or locked so it appears the issue is directly related to the trunk button.

I have also noticed that when we push the button to open then hit it again to pause the liftgate will stop. However, when i hit it a third time the liftgate will neither open nor close. I have to use the key button to get the liftgate moving again.

Super confused by all of this as i dont know if this is BCM issue where the dealer needs to reprogram the unit.

I have done the following:
1) Read the manual which states the liftgate button unlocks the liftgate and opens when the key is with you
2) Checked to ensure that the liftgate is enabled (it is)

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...................I have also noticed that when we push the button to open then hit it again to pause the liftgate will stop. However, when i hit it a third time the liftgate will neither open nor close. I have to use the key button to get the liftgate moving again...........................
Is the button mentioned here the liftgate button or the dash button? When the 'gate' is stuck after the 3rd use of the button, will it move using the switch on the dash?
Here is a reset procedure that was in the pre 2016 Manual. Lift gate won't close
I was playing around with mine a week ago and managed to get it stuck in the open position and nothing worked to close it. I closed it manually and everything was good again.

Peter

Is the button mentioned here the liftgate button or the dash button? When the 'gate' is stuck after the 3rd use of the button, will it move using the switch on the dash?
Here is a reset procedure that was in the pre 2016 Manual. Lift gate won't close
I was playing around with mine a week ago and managed to get it stuck in the open position and nothing worked to close it. I closed it manually and everything was good again.

Peter

Liftgate button is the issue.

Yes the liftgate will move on the third press using either the remote or the dash button.

As the button seems to work in all scenarios but when locked and after two presses I feel there is either something wrong with the BCM or it was not programmed properly after the hitch was installed.

If all else fails, disconnect the negative batter terminal and let everything rest itself.
These new vehicles have way too many electronics and a power cycle may do the job.

Liftgate button is the issue.

Yes the liftgate will move on the third press using either the remote or the dash button.

As the button seems to work in all scenarios but when locked and after two presses I feel there is either something wrong with the BCM or it was not programmed properly after the hitch was installed.
I tried mine using the liftgate button under the handle and after pressing it a 2nd time the 'gate' stopped. Pressing that same button a 3rd time did nothing. Just like yours.
However, when I pressed the button on the bottom of the door, the 'gate' started moving again. Did you try that button on the gate bottom instead of the one under the handle?

Peter

I tried mine using the liftgate button under the handle and after pressing it a 2nd time the 'gate' stopped. Pressing that same button a 3rd time did nothing. Just like yours.
However, when I pressed the button on the bottom of the door, the 'gate' started moving again. Did you try that button on the gate bottom instead of the one under the handle?

Peter

Peter, thanks for trying on yours. I just tried the button under the tailgate and it works which is good. It appears that my issue is just related to the tailgate button not working when the car is locked and I have the key.

I don't think its supposed to work that way. It would be a safety issue as someone could open it as your getting in your drivers seat. I think it will only open by using the fob itself while locked.

If I am wrong then it could be a weak battery in the fob.

I don't think its supposed to work that way. It would be a safety issue as someone could open it as your getting in your drivers seat. I think it will only open by using the fob itself.

If I am wrong then it could be a weak battery in the fob.

My parents have a 16 platinum that I tried it on and it works when then key is in your pocket and the car is locked. The manual also states that the gate will unlock and open when the key is with a foot or two of the tailgate.

My parents have a 16 platinum that I tried it on and it works when then key is in your pocket and the car is locked. The manual also states that the gate will unlock and open when the key is with a foot or two of the tailgate.
I can also confirm (asked my coworker to try it out with my EX Sport that I sold him) and the rear hatch can open while all of the doors are locked, provided the keyfob is on you.

Took it into the dealer this AM. The issue is related to the rear antenna not recognizing the key. They are going to replace the part. Should also fix my issue with the hands free liftgate as well

Took it into the dealer this AM. The issue is related to the rear antenna not recognizing the key. They are going to replace the part. Should also fix my issue with the hands free liftgate as well
Thank you for the update. That's a first on the Forum.

Peter

Thank you for the update. That's a first on the Forum.

Peter

Dealership said the same thing. Should be back working by mid next week when the part gets in

Thanks............I have the same problem, but in my case it is self-inflicted..

I installed a full size spare where the third set was, and I have not yet reconnected the antenna.

While I wondered, your post seems to confirm my thought. It will be a five minute fix.

AND FWIW.....A full size 255/50/20 spare tie DOES fit under the floor and I now carry a small HF floor jack and
other emergency supplies in the original temporary well.

No metal was changed

It is still a work in progress, will post with pictures when it is finished........

UPDATE: Wife got home, and it took all of two minutes to plug in the antenna and problem was instantly solved.

Thanks again, PALMZ43.

AND FWIW.....A full size 255/50/20 spare tie DOES fit under the floor and I now carry a small HF floor jack and
other emergency supplies in the original temporary well.

Are able to secure the tire with the OEM 'tiedown'?

Peter

Are able to secure the tire with the OEM 'tiedown'?

Peter
NO.

The original tie down bolt is very weak.......OK for a 30lb mini-spare, but nowhere strong enough or long enough for a 75lb fullsize spare.

Currently I am using a rachet strap, but I have some other options as well.

Back