2016 Questions

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I'm considering a 2016 Sport. Does the 400A package include HID headlights, or do I need to purchase the 401A package to have those?

Thanks,
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sport comes with Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, Auto LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams in both packages.

So....no HID, but LED in the low beam? Correct?

That's correct. I absolutely love my Sport. It is one nice ride.

Thanks. Seems you purchased yours from Spitzer, which means you are in Ohio. :) I'm in the Wooster area, so I'm familiar with that dealer.

I was looking at an Edge Sport after a poor experience with my 2011 Limited Ex. The Edge Sport is nice and the 2.7 TT AWD platform is FAST. With that said, I could spend the same money and grab the 2016 Explorer Sport without the 401A package. I don't want a sunroof on either vehicle, so that's a moot point as well. I don't think I'm going to miss much from the 401a except the cooled seats, which I thought were a bit of a gimmick in my 2011. From there, the Edge Spot has the lane avoidance, adaptive cruise "stuff" that I'm not a real fan of anyway. I know how to drive my car and it's just more to go wrong. I don't see that the Explorer Sport would have those even if I did go with the 401a. As I am receiving it, you have to buy up into those features in the 2016 Ex Sport.

So, if the money is the same and the feature set is basically the same on the Edge as the 2016 Explorer Sport with the 400 package - at least the features I care about - why not make a grab at the 2016 Explorer Sport and have three rows of seats?

I just need to get over the sour taste from the 2011 Explorer Limited I have. It's been a real pain and a drain on my time. If I walk myself back into another situation like that, I'm not going to be happy.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434074

Shumax

mostly you're getting size for trading out cost of features.

I liked the edge as well - but we felt we needed the space the explorer would provide.

Honestly if it wasn't for the wifey absolutely refusing to even drive one - I'd have a flex in the garage. in between the pricing, more space than the explorer, and same or similar features. and they make a flex sport that is the same driveline. however this is the finale for the flex.

living with an 2016 explorer for 4 months - if I didn't want the extra carry room - there is also more front leg/foot room on the edge. (based on where the seat is and the wheel well, etc etc.

but I have large feet and am 6'3 so I noticed it.

mostly you're getting size for trading out cost of features.

I liked the edge as well - but we felt we needed the space the explorer would provide.

Honestly if it wasn't for the wifey absolutely refusing to even drive one - I'd have a flex in the garage. in between the pricing, more space than the explorer, and same or similar features. and they make a flex sport that is the same driveline. however this is the finale for the flex.

living with an 2016 explorer for 4 months - if I didn't want the extra carry room - there is also more front leg/foot room on the edge. (based on where the seat is and the wheel well, etc etc.

but I have large feet and am 6'3 so I noticed it.

Funny you would say that. The current loaner I am in is a 2014 Flex Limited with the 3.5 EcoBoost, AWD Limited. It's a very nice vehicle and has a lot of power. I am guessing it's very similar to the Explorer Sport in that regard...

Funny you would say that. The current loaner I am in is a 2014 Flex Limited with the 3.5 EcoBoost, AWD Limited. It's a very nice vehicle and has a lot of power. I am guessing it's very similar to the Explorer Sport in that regard...
More like the MKT I'm driving in size and power. Both soon to be 'collector's items'. ;)

Peter

More like the MKT I'm driving in size and power. Both soon to be 'collector's items'. ;)

Peter

Am I receiving this correctly - the Flex would "feel" slower than the Explorer Sport?

I used to buy all my vehicles, but this time out of frustration of major repair bills for every last vehicle I have owned, I just leased it for two years. that way it will be under warranty and not locked into a car for four to six years. I also, like the idea at the end of two years of having the option of buying the car I leased new or just dumping it and getting a new one. With the way electronics are changing/advancing in them, it just seems to make more sense. I am pretty sure the next one will have Sync3 and maybe a new design.

Am I receiving this correctly - the Flex would "feel" slower than the Explorer Sport?
I can't comment on that. The Sport, Flex and MKT have the same engine.

Peter

I can't comment on that. The Sport, Flex and MKT have the same engine.

Peter

Explorer Sport is 4,901 lbs.; the 2014 Flex Limited appears to be 4,839lbs. It's so close, I doubt you would notice the difference. So, it's safe to say the Explorer Sport would "feel" as quick as the 2014 Flex Limited (3.5 Eco with AWD) that I am currently driving...

Shumax

I'd have to see where someone actually drove them back to back on a test track with instruments to prove it.

but I'd say they should be the same or very very near each other. GVW on both is similar, the trans gearing and engine power is the same, aero despite what some would say is the very very similar or the same - keep in mind the flex is a touch lower.

not being popular the flex would be cheaper and that would be my choice. Although I did think hard about the lincoln version.

Back