• Register Today It's free!

2016 rough hood

LexExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited Explorer
I picked up a 2016 Limited Explorer just over a month ago and noticed over the weekend that the hood has a very rough feeling to it. If I run my hand over it, it is not smooth at all, feels almost like a very fine sandpaper. I put two coats of wax on it, but did not help much at all. I have read a lot of horror stories about issues with the hoods on the earlier Explorers oxidizing. Curious to see if anyone else has noticed this issue, especially on a 2016?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder if it is rail dust that you feel. I'd trya clay bar and see if you can remove it, if not, take it to your dealer.

Wonder if it is rail dust that you feel. I'd trya clay bar and see if you can remove it, if not, take it to your dealer.

Second this. I bought a new Lincoln LS Sport some years ago and you could actually see tiny little bits of dirt,rust, whatever on the paint. Wax wouldn't touch it but claying the car cleaned it right up.

I try to clay my cars once a year followed by a coat of wax.

I was thinking it was probably rail dust, but with all of the other issues I have read about regarding the hoods, I thought it might be something worse. I think it is supposed to be sunny and in the 60's here next weekend, sounds like a good time to clay bar and wax.

+1 on the clay bar. Wash the hood, then clay it, then wash it again. Then wax or seal it. If it looks ok and you just feel grit on the paint surface, it's almost certainly bonded contaminants like rail dust. Read the directions or watch a You Tube video on use of the clay if you're new to it - be sure to use lube with the clay bar (soapy water or detail spray). If you drop the clay, throw it out and use another piece. Get a couple of microfiber towels when you get the clay - best things to ultimately buff the wax or sealant off. Good luck!

I love me some clay bar, I've used it for over 20 years from back in the day before the corner auto parts store carried it. Anyway, I've found a way to cut the time in half and it works just the same. Instead of washing the car, drying the car, using the detail spray and clay bar, then washing the car again... I simply just wash one area of the car(hood works in this thread:D) Rinse, then apply the wash soap again to use as the claybar lube(which if it gets 'dry' its a PIA to get it off your paint) and claybar the wet soapy hood. Then rinse and hit with washsoap again. You'll save an hour easy with the same results.

Before clay bar, you need to use a product like, Iron Out from Auto Finesse. Then:

clay
re-wash
polish
re-wash or wipe with denatured alcohol
wax/sealant

You know what? You really shouldn't have to do this on a brand new vehicle. I'd be back at the dealer having them detail it.

You know what? You really shouldn't have to do this on a brand new vehicle. I'd be back at the dealer having them detail it.

I wouldn't let a dealer's detailer touch my vehicle. When I buy them, they do not do any detailing of it on the outside but dress the tires. No way do I want an 18 year old, $8 an hour employee detailing my vehicle and putting swirl marks all in it.

I do it myself so I can do it with care and pride. I don't have a single mark/swirl anywhere in my paint on my 1 1/2 year old F350 because of this.

My explorer, completely different story, especially those black corner appliqués/pillars that we all complain that have swirls everywhere.

Back