2016 Shifting

Macnerd

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

Just wanted some input on what I should do here. I've got about 6,200 miles on my 2016 XLT 202A I leased in February. Since it was basically new I've found that the responsiveness of the throttle and the transmission are inconsistent at best.

Some days this thing drives like a dream, never lurches or shifts rough. Throttle response is smooth. Other days, however, the trans shifts loud and rough. I hear it slam into a gear, or even feel it. Sometimes when attempting to pass on the highway (1/4-1/2 throttle) it just won't do anything or will hold onto a low gear for 5-10 seconds after I let off the accelerator and eventually slam into the next gear. This behavior is far worse when it's hot out (85 Fahrenheit or higher), and it will rev so high before up shifting that I feel obligated to use my paddle shifters to make it do what it should do on it's own.

I have a feeling the dealer will just tell me it's normal and to pound sand, as similar (but less severe) behavior from my 2012 Fusion with the 6F35 trans met similar results. Could a PCM reprogramming help this or is it just the design of the 6F trans? Thanks for your input guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just over 1500 miles on my sport and it absolutely does NOT shift like that. I do think your right about the dealership giving you a hard time about getting anything fixed under warranty unless you can come up with some very easy steps to reproduce the shifting issues you are having.

An aftermarket tune may cure some of the shifting issues your seeing, but your looking at ~$600 and that could mess up your lease if anything serious happened.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some input on what I should do here. I've got about 6,200 miles on my 2016 XLT 202A I leased in February. Since it was basically new I've found that the responsiveness of the throttle and the transmission are inconsistent at best.

Some days this thing drives like a dream, never lurches or shifts rough. Throttle response is smooth. Other days, however, the trans shifts loud and rough. I hear it slam into a gear, or even feel it. Sometimes when attempting to pass on the highway (1/4-1/2 throttle) it just won't do anything or will hold onto a low gear for 5-10 seconds after I let off the accelerator and eventually slam into the next gear. This behavior is far worse when it's hot out (85 Fahrenheit or higher), and it will rev so high before up shifting that I feel obligated to use my paddle shifters to make it do what it should do on it's own.

I have a feeling the dealer will just tell me it's normal and to pound sand, as similar (but less severe) behavior from my 2012 Fusion with the 6F35 trans met similar results. Could a PCM reprogramming help this or is it just the design of the 6F trans? Thanks for your input guys.
Take it to the dealer and let them look at it. It's under warranty and since it's a lease you shouldn't try any DIY repairs at this point. There is a TSB for certain 2015/16 transmissions but your issue isn't like the one described in the TSB.

Peter

Take it to the dealer and let them look at it. It's under warranty and since it's a lease you shouldn't try any DIY repairs at this point. There is a TSB for certain 2015/16 transmissions but your issue isn't like the one described in the TSB.

Peter

Where can I find that?

Edit: Found the thread, looking through it..

Hey everyone,

My 2014 XLT with the 3.5L NA engine did basically the same thing. Dealer reprogrammed it and it helped. But he told me what you can do is a reset of the transmission. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then rehook it and when you restart the car, the transmission will reset to factory. Then it will relearn your driving patterns. It works.

I have not had the problem in my 2016 with the 2.3L ecoboost engine.

My 2014 XLT with the 3.5L NA engine did basically the same thing. Dealer reprogrammed it and it helped. But he told me what you can do is a reset of the transmission. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then rehook it and when you restart the car, the transmission will reset to factory. Then it will relearn your driving patterns. It works.

I have not had the problem in my 2016 with the 2.3L ecoboost engine.

Interesting. Alright, it had an especially bad day yesterday. My local dealer is appointment only and usually a week+ out so usually by the time I make an appointment and arrive at that day, it's not doing it anymore. I'm determined to get it in there and have them do something before the 12,000mi/12mo is up.

Shift problems are likely covered within the 3/36 anyhow, and maybe even the 5/60 depending on the failed component.

Shift problems are likely covered within the 3/36 anyhow, and maybe even the 5/60 depending on the failed component.

I'm sure you're right, but the 12 month also leaves me within lemon law depending on how things play out with their "solution(s)"

Back