2016 SONY MFT - weird behavior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 SONY MFT - weird behavior

slavakm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer LTD AWD 3.5L
Hello,

Last week I bought a CPO '16 Explorer Limited 4WD and having a few issues already.

1. Sunroof gutter is leaking into driver's side A-pillar.
2. Sony MFT started acting up.
- Touch screen only responds to touch on the "left side" of the screen. But, no matter what I press it jumps between "Now playing" and "Home screen". That's it.
- I was able to get Navigation screen to come up, using voice commands. But touching the screen kicks me back out to "Now Playing", any further actions just goes between "Home screen" and back to "Now Playing".
3. I started to notice an odd vibration during normal launches (ex: from red lights) and it usually goes away once the speed gets up to about 15-20mph. I don't think it's balancing or alignment, since I don't feel it at any other speed. It feels like the wheels are not tightened (I haven't checked).

I'm guessing, the water leak affected MFT. However, no engine lights came up. With A-pillar and footwell being completely speak after the rain, I also worry about the Airbag "acting up" like the MFT.
I tried disconnected the battery for a few minutes, but it didn't help at all, MFT is just as wonky. Does the battery need to stay disconnected a certain amount of time to reset the unit?

Car is going back to the dealer on Monday, so I have some time to hear suggestions before providing update back in a few days.

This is my first ever Ford (against all my friends pleas not to get one), i just gave them so much ammo in just 1 week of ownership.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that you have a moonroof, and if so, the water leak may be due to a blocked drain tube. That usually results in water pooling in either the front or 2nd row floor wells. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/moonroof-drain-hoses-c-w-diagram.414250/
As for the strange MFT behaviour sometimes a Master Reset will fix some issues but since you've done the battery disconnect I'm not sure if that might help or not.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-disconnecting-negative-battery-cable.427676/
I've never had to do a battery disconnect so I can't say for sure how long but some members have left it 10 minutes or so, some longer.:dunno:
Good luck. Let us know how you made out at the dealer.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for the quick reply.
I have searched this forum, and never seen the reference to "outofmytouch" :) reset file. I will give it a try.

I tested the sunroof gutters, and 3 out of 4 work properly, I can see the water drain. It's the A - pillar that is either clogged or disconnected.

Any info on the vibration? I came across a thread discussing it, but seems like people have all kinds of "fixes", from different brand tires to replacing axles.

Coming from a life long VW owner (jetta, gti, rabbit, jetta, cc), I'm not discouraged yet.
Especially being under original warranty (14k miles), but this does raise concerns for me.

My vehicles have all be 'vibration free' so there isn't anything I can tell you on that. From what you described, it doesn't sound like balance or alignment given it only seems to appear at low speed. An out of round tire would cause vibration all the time I would think. 20" tires are known to 'flat spot' but if that is the case it would only present itself when starting off after the vehicle has sat a while, like overnight and it goes away after a mile or two of driving.
One other thing you should check is the spare tire wheel well. This was a problem area for the earlier models where water would gather from leaks in the roof or liftgate.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-leak.327803/

Peter

I was able to reboot MFT using the "reset method" you linked, but after rebooting it still has the same glitch/behavior.

Gotta wait for dealer I guess.

Bummer, I haven't even made a payment on it yet.

Let me update this thread:

The car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks.
I was told, the A pillar (driver side) drain/gutter was NOT INSTALLED from the factory, and they had to order this part.
Once they got the part, the mechanics were unable to assemble it themselves and had to send the car to the body shop.

During this process, I was told the radio was fixed, and they also took care of the recalled throttle body.

Today, finally, I was told the car was finished and I can come pick it up.
As soon as I got in the car, I tried the radio = still unresponsive.

UNREAL.
3 weeks of ownership, 2 of which are in the shop being fixed unsuccesfully.
Not to mention, this car is 1yr old without a gutter ever installed. Possible mold/rust, although bodyshop tech said they checked and found no signs of either. Not much faith in this dealership (Sheehy Ford)

To be continued...

...well, it's fixed. I can't even tell what was done to fix it, but the screen had a protective sticker over it when I got it. Im guessing the head unit got swapped out. I was also told APM was replaced, but nothing specific on the invoice.
It also rained here, and the roof is dry - so thats a good sign, the gutter seems to be doing its job.

fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here on out.

ps. I sorta hoped they would swap in Sync3 (they did not), and the Sync2 version on it is 3.8

This doesn't answer or solve any of your issues but I can tell you that my last 5 vehicles in 12 years have been Fords - 2003 Crown Victoria, 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2013 Edge Limited (Brand new) and 2 months ago got a 9 month old 2016 Explorer Limited 4x4 and I've loved every single one of them - in fact, I've stayed with Ford because I like the amenities in the upper level models and because they've been so reliable. I did have a Sun Roof leak in the 2003 Crown Victoria - BUT, that was an aftermarket sunroof install, the only other issues I've had was in the brand new Edge, the Sunroof was in 3 times (under warranty) because the sunroof seal kept coming off when closing it and the sunshade made an awful rubbing noise as it closed. I believe the Explorer's sunroof is the same, if not extremely close to the Edge (almost everything else between the Edge and Explorer - aside from the size and 3 year newer model is identical, makes it easy to adjust). My Explorer does not have the Sunroof, nor did I really want it, after the issues with the Edge but aside from that, I've loved all five of my Fords in 12 years, this 2016 Explorer has to be my favorite.

Back