2016 Sport Audio up-grade (plus some) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport Audio up-grade (plus some)

Nice install...did you ever consider the
PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 Amplifier Replacement Interface?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm considering to re-vamp the system in my Sport as well...this is what I'm considering in the planning phase ;)
JL Audio HD900/5 5 Channel Amp
JL Audio C5-650 Components for the fronts
JL Audio C5-650x Coaxes for the 2nd Row
JL Audio 10Tw3-D4 10" Thin Sub (might be able to install this in place of the 8" with a minor mod according to Crutchfield)
PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 Amplifier Replacement Interface to integrate the JL Amp
Some sort of Dynamat for the speakers and sub kick panel, might also use the foam rings

I'm considering to re-vamp the system in my Sport as well...this is what I'm considering in the planning phase ;)
JL Audio HD900/5 5 Channel Amp
JL Audio C5-650 Components for the fronts
JL Audio C5-650x Coaxes for the 2nd Row
JL Audio 10Tw3-D4 10" Thin Sub (might be able to install this in place of the 8" with a minor mod according to Crutchfield)
PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 Amplifier Replacement Interface to integrate the JL Amp
Some sort of Dynamat for the speakers and sub kick panel, might also use the foam rings

Great minds think alike. I have done 12 volt professionally for almost 11 years and this is the first car that has me stumped. I have a 17 Explorer Sport w/Sony. I would rethink the C5s. I owned them for less than 3 months then changed them out. I am a huge JL fan, but think those are overrated. The C3s do sound nice though.
JL Audio HD 600/4
JL Audio HD 750/1
Focal K2 Power Fronts
Focal Access Rear
JL Audio W7 in JL's High Output box
JL Audio FiX86

However after doing a lot of digging I'm think about scratching the processor I have as I don't think it'll work correctly.

If I ever re-do my install I would use the PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 interface and use the optical adapter going to the processor. It just wasn't around when I did my install.

If I ever re-do my install I would use the PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 interface and use the optical adapter going to the processor. It just wasn't around when I did my install.

DMG? Those are my initials, actually have em as my personalized license plate. I think you just sealed the deal for me. Gonna see if my JL rep will swap FiX86 for the TwK88.

How did you do your install originally and why would you use the Pac piece?

devong, you read this complete thread (2 pages)...... this is my install ;)

Since we share the same initials, we have something else in common. I used to live in Littleton, CO and then moved up to Conifer, I still have property up there ..............just no time to visit it.

Ford Sony stereo is a can bus based system, meaning that it is all intertwined.the radio puts out a fixed signal and the volume on the radio interfaces with the can bus system and controls the volume via that system, this is also how the system knows we're to put the fake engine noise and cell phone out put for the hands free, door chimes etc. the interface is actually pretty easy. Just have to spend 250$ more than normal for the interface that can properly manage the ford can bus system with the can bus interface it automatically controls the auto mute when a call come in.
Link: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575DSR1/Rockford-Fosgate-DSR1.html?tp=76871 Take a couple minutes and watch the you tube video associated with DSR1. It will answer a few questions. But using this allows you to keep 100% of the normal functionality while being able to add amplifiers of your choice.

Good photos of the install but I was with you right up to the point of giving up the spare tire. Or did you leave some room for that?

Good photos of the install but I was with you right up to the point of giving up the spare tire. Or did you leave some room for that?

No spare tire. I had to do some thinking about giving up the spare tire but, looking back over the last 40 years I only used a spare tire once. So now I carry a can of flat tire repair (for TPMS) and my auto club membership card. As a last ditch effort if the cell phone and can of tire repair wont work...…….. I'll use one of the subs as a spare!

One of the Subs as a Spare....That's Funny, I don't care who you are.!!

Seriously still one of the best aftermarket installs I have ever seen on any forum, I wish I had a 1/4 of your fabrication skills. That spare tire well sub is revolutionary!

...I pulled the signal for the Bit-One after the factory amp and let the Bit-One do it's thing of cleaning up the factory manipulated signal. ...

You mentioned pulling the Front High, "Mid" then Sub inputs for your DSP. I am planning to run a Dayton DSP-408 after a bunch of reading, and have 4 inputs to utilize. Are the front "Mid" full frequency? or is there a reason other than frequency you pulled the front "tweeter" input as well? In my mind I can skip the cost / effort of the FD21 AMP PRO. Maybe I am incorrect?

Back