• Register Today It's free!

2016 sport first oil change ....

HARDROCKTIMES

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Couldn't make it to the dealer where I brought so I'm at a local ford dealer... Estimated wait time 1hr....
Let's see if the try to get me for something extra... I was never a fan of getting things done at the dealership ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it is new I doubt they will come up with anything.

Let me know if you are comfortable with them as I am in the NYC area often and it is always good to know of a good Ford dealer just in case..I sometimes deal with Lincoln of Wayne on Route 23 in New Jersey who I like but it is completely out if my way..Thanks.

It was ok... $43.... The only disappointment was the free car wash they gave... They must have just ran water on it without the soap....lol
It was ford in garden city on Franklin ave...

OK..Thanks..Unfortunately the Ford dealers in my neck of the woods do the wash the exact same way.

OK..Thanks..Unfortunately the Ford dealers in my neck of the woods do the wash the exact same way.

I tell my dealer to forget the wash and they give me a condescending look as if I am costing some half assed porter his job. I keep my vehicles polished and waxed and they end up looking worse than when I brought them in. I could see if someone took some pride in his/her job, but as both of you point out, they just run water and a hose over it basically.

Not a single ford dealer around me does free washes.. but they do $17.95 Oil changes so I'll take that over a free rinse any day.

Not a single ford dealer around me does free washes.. but they do $17.95 Oil changes so I'll take that over a free rinse any day.

If I could find a place for oil changes at that price around me, I might just stop doing them myself. Actually, no...I would still hate the waiting around and getting in line part.

I tell my dealer to forget the wash and they give me a condescending look as if I am costing some half assed porter his job. I keep my vehicles polished and waxed and they end up looking worse than when I brought them in. I could see if someone took some pride in his/her job, but as both of you point out, they just run water and a hose over it basically.
Mine is always washed and dried and comes out looking like new.. On the last visit I told them not to bother with the wash as it was raining so they vacuumed the interior instead.

Peter

As with all of my previous cars (both new and old); all non warranty work is done at my preferred independent garage.
Also, I never let a dealership wash my vehicles, as they are not detailers and only looking to get the car out as fast as they can.

As with all of my previous cars (both new and old); all non warranty work is done at my preferred independent garage.
Also, I never let a dealership wash my vehicles, as they are not detailers and only looking to get the car out as fast as they can.

I echo those thoughts. I wash/detail all my cars, and also do all mechanical work myself ( oil changes, brakes, etc) I just think I feel comfortable knowing what I put into my car.
Unfortunately, I am "forced" to bring my car in to the dealer whenever there is warranty work, or to get a NYS inspection.

A wise man once said " The less people touch my car, the better off I am."

It was ok... $43.... The only disappointment was the free car wash they gave... They must have just ran water on it without the soap....lol
It was ford in garden city on Franklin ave...

Should have paid extra, and upgraded to the full synthetic oil, vs the blend. Especially on the Sport with the turbos and extra heat/power generation. Maybe next time.

I always tell the dealership "no wash". They have preprinted signs to put in/on the car for just this purpose. Also, I tell them no tire pressure changes.

+1 to that. A lot of bigger dealers actually have an automatic car wash. They run the cars thru them before returning to the customer. Those are horrible for your car - indiscriminate brushes and felt strips slapping all over the place, redistributing and grinding in dirt from the last car that went thru. Great way to ruin your finish. But 80-90% of customers are not fussy and they like it (or they just don't have the time, so "generally clean and slightly scratched" is better than dirty).

True. I have a great indie garage that even lets me bring my own parts I source at low cost points. Don't really care about my Escape as that is my beater, but my other two cars only get washed by me by hand. No automatic car washes with brushes and no third party by hand unless a reputable pro detailer - and I'm not spending that kind of money when I'm as good as them and have all the product/tools.

Back