• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport Hitch Cover

need-a-cage

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My wife's Sport was delivered with a scratched and dented hitch cover. The dealer said they would get me a replacement so 6 months later I called them back and asked where it was. They want to order the center only piece and then get it painted. I told them to order the 3 piece kit for $85 which is already painted from Ford. It is a kit for if you retrofit a tow package and add a hitch. Then it will definitely match the paint. Anyone know for sure if the center section in this kit is the same as the factory piece when a tow package is included?
https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11327/s/cover/category/154/
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife's Sport was delivered with a scratched and dented hitch cover. The dealer said they would get me a replacement so 6 months later I called them back and asked where it was. They want to order the center only piece and then get it painted. I told them to order the 3 piece kit for $85 which is already painted from Ford. It is a kit for if you retrofit a tow package and add a hitch. Then it will definitely match the paint. Anyone know for sure if the center section in this kit is the same as the factory piece when a tow package is included?
https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11327/s/cover/category/154/
Thanks

Yes, it is the same OEM part on your 2016 sport. I was rear ended (tapped) by a driver not paying attention, ordered this part to replace the removable cover...matches perfectly. It does include the entire gloss black section extending over the exhaust pipe, I only needed the center section. I got mine for ~$90 shipped via ebay ford dealer.

Thanks!!

I scratched the hitch cover on my '16 Platinum which has the same rear lower facia as the one on your Sport, except painted a silvery color rather than glossy black. I ordered a new one (which included the hitch cover) from an eBay Ford dealer for $85 shipped. I used only the hitch cover since it was the only part damaged. It was a perfect match to the rest of the facia which came from the factory.

I told the dealer to just order that. If he doesn't listen to me he'll end up paying more, it won't match as well, and I'll end up ordering this kit myself. I hope he listens to me.

I scratched the hitch cover on my '16 Platinum which has the same rear lower facia as the one on your Sport, except painted a silvery color rather than glossy black. I ordered a new one (which included the hitch cover) from an eBay Ford dealer for $85 shipped. I used only the hitch cover since it was the only part damaged. It was a perfect match to the rest of the facia which came from the factory.
Do you have a part number for that?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This site shows the cover as both #18 and #20 but describes it as "Trim molding. 2016-17 without trailer tow covers & brackets with 3.5L turbo."
That would seem strange as I believe the bumpers without the tow package don't have that molding piece.

Peter
They don’t come painted tho. And still can’t find a color code for that 🤦🏼‍♂️

Back