• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport options

GoogleAndroid

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Lincoln Town Car
Hello everyone, new here. I will be purchasing a 2016 Explorer Sport within the next week or two. I just have one problem with it. The Limited and Platinum trim levels have multi contour seats, lane departure warning/lane keep assist, and enhanced active park assist. I do not see any option for these or mention of these being on the Sport. Is the Sport just missing these, and if so, what else does it not have?

Hello everyone, new here. I will be purchasing a 2016 Explorer Sport within the next week or two. I just have one problem with it. The Limited and Platinum trim levels have multi contour seats, lane departure warning/lane keep assist, and enhanced active park assist. I do not see any option for these or mention of these being on the Sport. Is the Sport just missing these, and if so, what else does it not have?

That's a conscious decision by Ford Marketing.

Many Sport buyers complained that they wanted the ability to add ALL options kind of like an ala cart menu selection. So you would get the Sport performance with everything, Ford Marketing was concerned that would be a $60,000 Explorer.

Then the Platinum was born, everything in one for $60,000.

The SPORT is targeted at the performance buyer and the Platinum is targeted at the buyer who wants all the bells and whistles with EcoBoost twin turbo performance.

The reality is the SPORT has different suspension and tuning, different EPAS tuning, different PTU and Transmission AWD tuning. It sits lower, it has wider wheels and it has a performance tire option that the Platinum doesn't.

If you want performance then you loose some of the Platinum options like you mention plus higher quality leather seats, 500 watt stereo, and a few others.

You just have to figure out what's more important.

That's a conscious decision by Ford Marketing.

Many Sport buyers complained that they wanted the ability to add ALL options kind of like an ala cart menu selection. So you would get the Sport performance with everything, Ford Marketing was concerned that would be a $60,000 Explorer.

Then the Platinum was born, everything in one for $60,000.

The SPORT is targeted at the performance buyer and the Platinum is targeted at the buyer who wants all the bells and whistles with EcoBoost twin turbo performance.

The reality is the SPORT has different suspension and tuning, different EPAS tuning, different PTU and Transmission AWD tuning. It sits lower, it has wider wheels and it has a performance tire option that the Platinum doesn't.

If you want performance then you loose some of the Platinum options like you mention plus higher quality leather seats, 500 watt stereo, and a few others.

You just have to figure out what's more important.

I very much like the Platinum. However, it will be a long wait for one, and I need a car before going back to school. My number one priority is the Sport engine. Coming from a Town Car, I want my next vehicle to have power. I want heated and cooled seats, navigation, heated steering wheel, the dual moonroof; those are the bells and whistles I care about, and the Sport has them. I would rarely, if ever, use any park assist, and I've always shut the lane keeping systems off. Whenever I get my Lincoln serviced at the dealer, I get a loaner, so I've tried the multi contour massage seats. While they're very nice, I am fine without them. I test drove a Sport and the seat was nice and plushy like my Town Car.

Basically, I was just curious if the Sport had these or not, as some websites said it had a feature, but then Ford's website didn't. The Sport was very comfortable to drive and I would definitely be happy with it. One of my local dealers has one in Magnetic, with 401A and Adaptive Cruise and Dual Moonroof, which is exactly what I want, so I could very well have it tonight or tomorrow.

Back