2016 Sport or XLT , Lease advice . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport or XLT , Lease advice .

JonnyBagaDonuts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer soon
Coming from a midsize sedan i need something bigger and more family friendly. I dropped by ford a few days ago and took a look at the explorer . Honestly the explorer seems to fit the bill perfectly however i dont know what trim level to take the dive one.

Iall be leasing it for 3 years and drive quite a bit ( 15 - 20 k a year ) so i basically live in my car. They has a fairly loaded XLT with the NA v6 . It comes with everything besides BLIS, Moon roof, auto folding 3 rd row and auto trunk. I test drove it and loved it , the car seemed to be perfect for my family.

Then we walked past a white platinum sport and my mouth slightly dropped ... This truck is one good looking suv . But i didnt want to drive to prevent impulse buying.

Here is how the numbers look.....

2016 white platinum XLT 202A = $4k down $450 a month 15k miles per year
2016 white platinum sport 401A = $4k down $560 a month 15k miles per year

Whats your opinion on the 2 models and if its worth an additional $110 per month on a lease. Thanks .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you fancy all of the "nanny" gadgets/features (lane keeping, auto park. adaptive cruise) then the Platinum is for you.
If you are content with power and handling (Sport has the better suspension) and "enough" features; then the Sport won't disappoint.

white platinum is the color.

this is XLT with tech package vs Sport with the tech package.

the sport will cost you more gas, will potentially cost more in MX (tires specifically). So factor that in to your financing. since it seems finances is a large part of your decision.

the sport will handle tighter, and be quicker overall - you'll need to drive one to see if that's really worth the dollars to you. Honestly I think if I drive many many miles or spend more hours in the seat - I'd get the non sport since it rides a touch softer.

meanwhile - what do you need the car to do - and is the mpg important to you.

I personally got a XLT with the 202 package. I think, leather, remote start, power lift gate, nav and 20's yo. so whatever that is. NO BLIS.

However mine is mostly the wifey's car - so she doesn't need speed she has a digital foot anyway. and for me I want her to get MPG's because it's also our traipse across God's Green Earth car. as of 10K miles the 3.5 TiVCT engine is getting better than EPA values at 75mph on the highway.

OH you say lease - another thing I'd check is purchase because if you are going to put 15K a year on it. Lease return might cost you a pretty penny. Not sure if you've leased before but I try to talk people out of them.

Not sure why the Sport would cost you more on gas since all 5th gen Explorers will run on the factory recommended 87 octane. It will only cost more if you chose to run a higher octane.

Peter

What would concern me more than which one to buy is the amount of miles you drive a year. If you take a lease for 15K and you end up driving 20K, at turn in time you have run 15K over, and this is going to cost you the down payment on a new car. Either negotiate 20K up front (we actually do 30K on our leases), or plan on buying the vehicle instead of leasing.

You test drove the XLT and loved it. 202a should give you everything you reasonably need, though I like a sunroof.

Now I would test drive a Sport and consider the type of driving you do (sounds primarily highway) and decide if it is worth $3,600 more over 3 years.

Iall be leasing it for 3 years and drive quite a bit ( 15 - 20 k a year ) so i basically live in my car.

Have you looked at the numbers to see how much your payments would be if you did a traditional 60 or 72 month loan? Might be pretty similar costs overall when overage miles fees are taken into consideration.

Leases are great for their low upfront costs but terrible in the long term unless you like having a new car every 3 years and don't mind the payments in perpetuity.

Also does the $4k down include taxes, fees, title, etc? If not, you might be looking at close to doubling that amount just to get into a lease and at that point, there goes the whole "low financial entry point" appeal of leasing.

Not sure why the Sport would cost you more on gas since all 5th gen Explorers will run on the factory recommended 87 octane. It will only cost more if you chose to run a higher octane.

Peter

doesn't the sport get less mpg. and that's on 91 octane. as far as I know it will get even less mpg on 87.

regardless less mpg = more dollars on gas.

doesn't the sport get less mpg. and that's on 91 octane. as far as I know it will get even less mpg on 87.

regardless less mpg = more dollars on gas.
As I've posted before, I did not notice any mpg difference between using 91 and 87 octane.

Peter

As I've posted before, I did not notice any mpg difference between using 91 and 87 octane.

Peter

and as I've said your in cold canada where most of the time your ambient intake air is under 50 F.

right? therefore your car probably doesn't adjust any timing or fuel quantity for potential predetonation.

but even without those potential wrinkles to cost estimate.

doesn't the sport get less, listed EPA mpg's than the XLT? there for just on that metric it will cost more gasoline.

but you know - I think that might be an interesting side topic so I might start another thread.

and as I've said your in cold canada where most of the time your ambient intake air is under 50 F.

right? therefore your car probably doesn't adjust any timing or fuel quantity for potential predetonation.

but even without those potential wrinkles to cost estimate.

doesn't the sport get less, listed EPA mpg's than the XLT? there for just on that metric it will cost more gasoline.

but you know - I think that might be an interesting side topic so I might start another thread.
Usually the average temperature over a 12 month period in my area is 52 F. This past Summer it wasn't unusual to have periods where temperatures were in the high 80's and 90's. Where I am it is probably not as cold over all as the northern states. The Southern most tip of Ontario is virtually at the same longitude as Northern California something not many people realize.:)
I did however use the 91 fuel during the Winter months so perhaps it isn't a fair comparison for mileage but for the amount of driving, or better, lack of driving I do, it isn't really worth using anything other than 87. I'm in my 20th month of having the MKT and just turned over 4971 miles (8000 kms) yesterday.:D

Peter

dude - drive the thing man - you're paying for it.

what's your other car(s)

I have 132K on my 09 G8, and we have 10K+ on our Exploder. (I can't help it)

dude - drive the thing man - you're paying for it.

what's your other car(s)

I have 132K on my 09 G8, and we have 10K+ on our Exploder. (I can't help it)
No other car. I do have a 'walker' that was loaned to me but I am going to return it. Had a very rough Summer medically. I can, or could, walk to most stores in town. Furthest store would be a 20 minute walk.

Peter

No other car. I do have a 'walker' that was loaned to me but I am going to return it. Had a very rough Summer medically. I can, or could, walk to most stores in town. Furthest store would be a 20 minute walk.

Peter

You just need a bicycle:D

Peter

OH - sorry to hear that. Hope recovery is going well.

If you like having power the Sport will make you happier when you drive it.

Another way to look at the difference. What would you have to give up to pay the extra $110? A few dinners out, cable tv, nothing?

Back