2016 Sport vs. Platinum Suspension - Any Difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport vs. Platinum Suspension - Any Difference?

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I've been looking at trading out of my 2010 Expedition Limited into either a 2016/17 Explorer Sport or Platinum. Since I live in the South, I was considering the Platinum so I could get a light interior.

I wanted to know 2 things:

1) Ford describes the Sport as having a "Sport Tuned Suspension" but I don't find anything about this on the Platinum. Is there and difference in the suspension of the Sport vs. the Platinum?

2) I was also wanting to know if there is a way to increase the towing capacity of either the Sport or Platinum from 5,000 lbs to about 6,500 lbs with some simple mods to suspension or chassis. I tow my Shelby GT to the track once per year for a long Guys Weekend event and the Expedition does a fine job, but just looking for something smaller now.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Andy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two different suspensions same engine.

no you can't increase the towing capacity of the vehicle. Also keep in mind that 5,000lbs gets reduced when you put more then yourself in the vehicle as well as any gear you put in the Ex.

I've been looking at trading out of my 2010 Expedition Limited into either a 2016/17 Explorer Sport or Platinum. Since I live in the South, I was considering the Platinum so I could get a light interior.

I wanted to know 2 things:

1) Ford describes the Sport as having a "Sport Tuned Suspension" but I don't find anything about this on the Platinum. Is there and difference in the suspension of the Sport vs. the Platinum?

2) I was also wanting to know if there is a way to increase the towing capacity of either the Sport or Platinum from 5,000 lbs to about 6,500 lbs with some simple mods to suspension or chassis. I tow my Shelby GT to the track once per year for a long Guys Weekend event and the Expedition does a fine job, but just looking for something smaller now.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Andy.
As already mentioned. Two different suspensions. You may also be interested in the following two threads;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437345&highlight=platinum+sport+suspension
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431572&highlight=platinum+sport+suspension

Peter

Does anyone actually know the exact part difference between the Sport and Plantinum suspension? Is it Struts and/or sway bars of some sort? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy.

Does anyone actually know the exact part difference between the Sport and Plantinum suspension? Is it Struts and/or sway bars of some sort? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy.
Perhaps that is something member Sgt1411 might know.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Thanks,
Andy.

Prior to the release of the Platinum it was explained to me by the Chief Engineer on the Explorer Team that the Sport Suspension, EPAS, AWD system, and hardware was tuned by the Engineers differently then any other model. For example the Sport AWD tuning is apparently the only setup that can, if required, send power equally 50/50% to front and rear wheels, the other models are FWD biased. The Sport sits 20mm lower than the other models.

Specifically what is different between the Sport springs, struts, sway bars, cross tower brace?......I don't know specifics other than they are all stiffer, If I remember correctly the value given was 37% stiffer.

If you look at the steel construction of the cross tower brace in the engine compartment on a 2013-2015 Sport it's significantly more robust than the other models. I have not seen a 16 Platinum cross tower strut brace.

Easy way to compare might be a Ford Parts website, pick a suspension part and go in and see if there are two different replacement parts for Platinum and Sport or are they same part.

My guess is some are and some aren't.

A couple of other things I have noticed, having driven both a few times, concern the firmness of the seating and the steering response...

A couple of other things I have noticed, having driven both a few times, concern the firmness of the seating and the steering response...

Were those items above what pushed you towards selecting the Platinum over the Sport (based on your signature)?

Thanks,
Andy.

According to the Ford website both the Sport and the Platinum state they have "sport tuned front and rear suspension". I noticed the ride to be the same, power the same, but the steering on the sport seemed stiffer. A fully equipped Sport is only a few grand less than the Platinum. The seating in the Platinum to me was much more comfortable, plus I like all the extra's it came with that you can not get on the Sport.

According to the Ford website both the Sport and the Platinum state they have "sport tuned front and rear suspension". I noticed the ride to be the same, power the same, but the steering on the sport seemed stiffer. A fully equipped Sport is only a few grand less than the Platinum. The seating in the Platinum to me was much more comfortable, plus I like all the extra's it came with that you can not get on the Sport.
I read that somewhere as well but when I mentioned it here I was told that wasn't the case.
Where exactly did you read it? I checked ford.com and could not find anything on it.

Peter

I made my choice based on the more comfortable ride the Platinum provided. I want power, but I also want comfort with all of the technology. I think both have "tuned" suspensions. You can feel the difference in how they feel when you drive both. If I were going to routinely drive like it were a sports car, then I would get the Sport. Also, the stereo is much improved with the Platinum. You can tell the difference...despite what some others might say...

I was one of the people Ford targeted when they came out with the Platinum. That is to say I want it all and all should be offered for a price...Power, Comfort, Features...

I read that somewhere as well but when I mentioned it here I was told that wasn't the case.
Where exactly did you read it? I checked ford.com and could not find anything on it.

Peter

On Ford.com, I compared the two models and went under the power and handling tab it states "unique sport tuned independent front and rear suspension" standard on both sport and platinum. I added the limited model to just see what it said and it showed "unavailable" making me think sport and platinum do in fact have the same suspension.:dunno:

On Ford.com, I compared the two models and went under the power and handling tab it states "unique sport tuned independent front and rear suspension" standard on both sport and platinum. I added the limited model to just see what it said and it showed "unavailable" making me think sport and platinum do in fact have the same suspension.:dunno:
Found it. Thank you.:thumbsup: I knew I had seen that before. Guess I wasn't looking in the right place.

Peter

Ahhh...that's what I was trying to find out. I'll have to do a back to back comparison drive on a curvy road near my house & Ford dealer again. The one time I tried to do it, I drove them on two different days, so it was hard to get a real comparison.

I'm still leaning towards the 2017 Platinum when available....luckily I have plenty of time to figure this out. I'm also bouncing around on two different colors....Ruby Red and Tri-White.

Andy.

Prior to the release of the Platinum it was explained to me by the Chief Engineer on the Explorer Team that the Sport Suspension, EPAS, AWD system, and hardware was tuned by the Engineers differently then any other model. For example the Sport AWD tuning is apparently the only setup that can, if required, send power equally 50/50% to front and rear wheels, the other models are FWD biased. The Sport sits 20mm lower than the other models.

Specifically what is different between the Sport springs, struts, sway bars, cross tower brace?......I don't know specifics other than they are all stiffer, If I remember correctly the value given was 37% stiffer.

If you look at the steel construction of the cross tower brace in the engine compartment on a 2013-2015 Sport it's significantly more robust than the other models. I have not seen a 16 Platinum cross tower strut brace.

Easy way to compare might be a Ford Parts website, pick a suspension part and go in and see if there are two different replacement parts for Platinum and Sport or are they same part.

My guess is some are and some aren't.
Can`t get my head round that the Sport and possibly the Platinum ride 20mm lower when the ford specifications say that ALL Explorers have the same overall height.

David

Can`t get my head round that the Sport and possibly the Platinum ride 20mm lower when the ford specifications say that ALL Explorers have the same overall height.

David

This is a few years old but listen to the Chief Engineer on the Explorer Program who is still the Chief Engineer.

This is a few years old but listen to the Chief Engineer on the Explorer Program who is still the Chief Engineer.

Have listened to this a few times now and still not hearing anything about lowering it. The 2016/17/18 brochures still state all models of the Explorer with the same overall height and same ground clearance. Has anyone actually measured the height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch front and back and compared it to an XLT, for example, on 18inch wheels?

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have listened to this a few times now and still not hearing anything about lowering it. The 2016/17/18 brochures still state all models of the Explorer with the same overall height and same ground clearance. Has anyone actually measured the height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch front and back and compared it to an XLT, for example, on 18inch wheels?

David

Your right, let me find the correct video......It might have been an internal one I had access to but I will try and find it.

Back