2016 Sport vs. Platinum Suspension - Any Difference? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport vs. Platinum Suspension - Any Difference?

16’ Platinum, Front, 32.5”. Rear, 33.5”

16’ Sport. Front, 32”. Rear, 33.25”

I just used a tape measure, but you get the idea.
This is concrete garage floor to the center of the wheel opening. Both have about 20k miles on them. If I think about it, I’ll measure a PIU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say that I've checked every part, but of all of the suspension parts I've compared, which was a good portion of them, I could not find a single one that wasn't the same on all models.

20mm is only .787 inches.

I can't say that I've checked every part, but of all of the suspension parts I've compared, which was a good portion of them, I could not find a single one that wasn't the same on all models.

20mm is only .787 inches.
The part numbers for the coil springs and struts for a Sport are different from the Platinum. When checking the suspension components it also indicated parts as w/Sport or w/o Sport. It seems more suspension parts are shared between the Limited and XLT than with the Platinum as well.
I believe the Sport suspension is tuned differently (stiffer?) and a few members have mentioned they have noticed a difference in it.

Peter

The part numbers for the coil springs and struts for a Sport are different from the Platinum. When checking the suspension components it also indicated parts as w/Sport or w/o Sport. It seems more suspension parts are shared between the Limited and XLT than with the Platinum as well.
I believe the Sport suspension is tuned differently (stiffer?) and a few members have mentioned they have noticed a difference in it.

Peter

I had only really looked at 2013, and now I see that struts and springs are different between the XLT, Sport, and PIU (3.7L only in 2013, it seems).

Can anyone help me identify the correct struts for a 2016 Explorer Sport? It has 3.5L with HD brakes but getoemparts and my local ford dealer seems to want me to use other model struts that don’t seem to fit the description of my model. From what I see these should use the same strut as the Police Interceptor.

GETOEMPARTS said I need:

FB5Z-18124-C (LF)
FB5Z-18124-L (RF)
FB5Z-18125-C Rear

I think I need:

FB5Z-18124-F (LF)
FB5Z-18124-P (RF)
FB5Z-18125-E rear

Thought anyone? They ran the parts according to my VIN but the when I go back into their site it says those parts don't fit my vehicle. Local Ford said something, but they don't seam to taking in the account of the Sport and HD brakes.

They could be listed as police interceptor compatible. The Sport and PIU are both lowered compared to other models so they have specific struts to match. RockAuto is really good at filtering parts for the different X models.

Just to add to the thread - the springs on my 2013 have an orange tag that says SPORT. So they are definitely different than the XLT and Platinum trims.

GETOEMPARTS said I need:

FB5Z-18124-C (LF)
FB5Z-18124-L (RF)
FB5Z-18125-C Rear

I think I need:

FB5Z-18124-F (LF)
FB5Z-18124-P (RF)
FB5Z-18125-E rear

Thought anyone? They ran the parts according to my VIN but the when I go back into their sight the site says those parts don't fir my vehicle. Local Ford said something, but they don't seam to taking in the account of the Sport and HD brakes.
The only one of the first group that shows as being for the 2016 Sport is the one for the rear. In the 2nd group, the 1st and 2nd ones are the same as what I provided in my links and the 3rd one also shows as being for your Sport. I would go with the 2nd grouping.

Peter

Thanks, As I suspected the Ford Dealer and GetOEM Parts were wrong. This is why I do all my own work. Thanks for confirming my choices.

Thanks, As I suspected the Ford Dealer and GetOEM Parts were wrong. This is why I do all my own work. Thanks for confirming my choices.
Do you find? exacts parts for sport 2016?

Back