• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2016 Starter Problem

DoberGirl

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Turned out to be a loose cable. They replaced the battery before they discovered the loose cable so I got a new battery when I probably didn't need one. She's back to normal now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Glad you got it figured out.

Just an fyi, pumping/pressing the accelerator doesn't do anything. Our pedals are throttle by wire (no direct connection to the motor) and do nothing until the engine is running.

Big misconception with modern vehicles.
I thought conventional wisdom for "modern" fuel injected vehicles that "flooded" was that if the gas pedal was pushed to the floor while cranking, that would trigger the computer to alter (ie reduce) the fuel flow to the engine to aid starting. I'm not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it only works with FI cars from the 80s or 90s or whatever???

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I thought conventional wisdom for "modern" fuel injected vehicles that "flooded" was that if the gas pedal was pushed to the floor while cranking, that would trigger the computer to alter (ie reduce) the fuel flow to the engine to aid starting. I'm not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it only works with FI cars from the 80s or 90s or whatever???

Maybe back when the gas pedal was actually connected mechanically. All it is now is a sensor that detects pedal position. The computer controlls everything.

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Maybe back when the gas pedal was actually connected mechanically. All it is now is a sensor that detects pedal position. The computer controlls everything.
Doesn't change the fact that the computer should still know what position the pedal is in, whether it's connected to the TB or not. I don't care to research it, but maybe someone else wants to verify, or knows, if the same programming still applies today and if the computer kills/reduces fuel flow if the pedal is to the floor on start.

Fedon

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Police Interceptor 2013
Yes, most of todays FI engines see you pressing the throttle to the floor as a signal that you want to clear out the cylinders and will continue to crank without firing injectors. So while you physically dont open the throttle body with the gas pedal anymore, the ECU can and still does the same thing as opening the throttle does on older vehicles