• Register Today It's free!

2016 Starter Problem

trulyFORD

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Ltd.
Is it me or are the 2016 Explorer models problematic?

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited with a starting problem.
The car will crank without a problem, but the engine will not start.

The problem started 4 days ago. The first time this happened, I thought the battery was low, so I charged it for about 30 min and tried to start, no luck. I gave up on it and came back after 3 hrs. Tried starting again and it fired right up! Next day I drove to work, no issues. Tried to go out for lunch a few hours later, no luck, car keeps cranking but will not start. Frustrated, left it for a few hours and tried again...it fired right up! Again!! No reason whatsoever!!

Here I am 2 days later, get in the Explorer to go home...cranking good...no start!! Frustrated...I'm reaching out to this forum.

Also need to mention, I've been leasing the Explorer for the past 3yrs. I traded up to a 2016 in November. I am now on my 5th 2016 Explorer!!

2016 #1 - Starter problem
2016 #2 - Touchscreen/Navigation/Heater problem
2016 #3 - Starter problem
2016 #4 - Dome lights stay on, proximity sensors randomly beep while driving
2016 #5 - Starter problem!!!

Ford dealership don't have clue, but also admitted a few 2016 Explorers were serviced for starting problems.

I've also disconnected the battery to 'reset' the system, that worked once.10

Can anyone guide me to a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it me or are the 2016 Explorer models problematic?

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited with a starting problem.
The car will crank without a problem, but the engine will not start.

The problem started 4 days ago. The first time this happened, I thought the battery was low, so I charged it for about 30 min and tried to start, no luck. I gave up on it and came back after 3 hrs. Tried starting again and it fired right up! Next day I drove to work, no issues. Tried to go out for lunch a few hours later, no luck, car keeps cranking but will not start. Frustrated, left it for a few hours and tried again...it fired right up! Again!! No reason whatsoever!!

Here I am 2 days later, get in the Explorer to go home...cranking good...no start!! Frustrated...I'm reaching out to this forum.

Also need to mention, I've been leasing the Explorer for the past 3yrs. I traded up to a 2016 in November. I am now on my 5th 2016 Explorer!!

Ford dealership don't have clue, but also admitted a few 2016 Explorers were serviced for starting problems.

I've also disconnected the battery to 'reset' the system, that worked once.10

Can anyone guide me to a solution?
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I'm no mechanic but I'd say if the engine is cranking then it probably isn't the starter that is the problem. See the following for info that might help;
http://autotap.com/problem5_engine_cranks.asp

You've had five 2016 Explorers???

Peter

Makes no sense. New Ford lease program? "The 30 Day Lease"?? Are you sure you're not getting your Explorers from Avis???

Thankfully i have had ZERO of those issues (the only thing I would say about the starting is how sensitive the button is)

Took delivery of my 2016 Platinum on October 6, and the vehicle has been flawless. Everything works exactly as expected, so every 2016 isn't a lemon.

Does it autostart?

Does this smell like a troll to anyone else? Something seems fishy.

Glad that I am not the only one that can smell trolls. There are quite a few trolls that register just to pull stunts like that. What is sad is that it's probably laughing at those that replied to it.
If the comment doesn't make sense, such as the one in this thread, it's 95% certain to be a troll.

Yea, I thought troll immediately when I read this. Crank no start is NOT a starter issue and why would you charge a battery if the starter is operating?

What would the logic be for people to troll? I don't see it. If they troll here, they must really have no life lol. Hope OP fixes the issue if they have one.

What would the logic be for people to troll? I don't see it. If they troll here, they must really have no life lol. Hope OP fixes the issue if they have one.

Competitors bashing the competition.

Competitors bashing the competition.

+1.

If you do a Google search for issues on a new vehicle, you’ll get a bunch of hits. If someone just looks at the Google results pages, they may see many issues that aren’t real and base their decision on false information. I’m sure most of the car forums have this issue.

Starting Problem Update

OK...I believe we (help of other Ford mechanics) solved/identified 'starting problem'.

It turns out the 2016 has a problem with E85 flex-fuel. With the redesign of the 2016, came a redesign of the fuel pump and controller. Seems the problem occurs when the temperature drops below freezing for some time, the E-85 fuel 'evaporates' the access ethanol to a point where the fuel stuck in the fuel line is no longer flammable. The starter would crank for the duration, but the E-85 won't burn.

Verified by pumping all E-85 out of tank, replaced with a few gallons of Premium 91 gasoline, Explorer fired up without issue. Drove it around for a day or so, no problems!!

Once the fuel was down to about 15 miles remaining, I pumped a gallon of the E-85, the next morning...again...cranks just fine...no engine start.

Added a gallon of premium gasoline, and after some time pumping the accelerator, it fired up!! It idled roughly for sometime, got to the gas station...filled the tank with the premium gas to help 'clean out' the remaining effects of the E-85.

I've been using regular-grade gasoline since then...have not had a single problem since.

Went to the Ford dealership with my findings, 'officially' they claime no problems exist, 'unofficially'...talking to a few of the dealerships' mechanics...they have serviced a few 2016 with the SAME problem. After replacing the E-85 fuel with regular...problem went away.

One happy FORD camper!!!:D:D

OK...I believe we (help of other Ford mechanics) solved/identified 'starting problem'.

It turns out the 2016 has a problem with E85 flex-fuel. With the redesign of the 2016, came a redesign of the fuel pump and controller. Seems the problem occurs when the temperature drops below freezing for some time, the E-85 fuel 'evaporates' the access ethanol to a point where the fuel stuck in the fuel line is no longer flammable. The starter would crank for the duration, but the E-85 won't burn.

Verified by pumping all E-85 out of tank, replaced with a few gallons of Premium 91 gasoline, Explorer fired up without issue. Drove it around for a day or so, no problems!!

Once the fuel was down to about 15 miles remaining, I pumped a gallon of the E-85, the next morning...again...cranks just fine...no engine start.

Added a gallon of premium gasoline, and after some time pumping the accelerator, it fired up!! It idled roughly for sometime, got to the gas station...filled the tank with the premium gas to help 'clean out' the remaining effects of the E-85.

I've been using regular-grade gasoline since then...have not had a single problem since.

Went to the Ford dealership with my findings, 'officially' they claime no problems exist, 'unofficially'...talking to a few of the dealerships' mechanics...they have serviced a few 2016 with the SAME problem. After replacing the E-85 fuel with regular...problem went away.

Glad you got it figured out.

Just an fyi, pumping/pressing the accelerator doesn't do anything. Our pedals are throttle by wire (no direct connection to the motor) and do nothing until the engine is running.

Big misconception with modern vehicles.

With E-85, it has the potential to absorb more water. That's why you shouldn't have E-85 in the tank at a low amount in the winter time. They also have E-85 fuel stabilizers for that very reason.

http://injectordynamics.com/articles/e85/

"
Hygroscopicity

The first and most important thing you need to know about alcohol is that it is hygroscopic. Hygroscopic means that it will readily absorb moisture from its surroundings. In our case, the “surroundings” would be the atmosphere, and that atmosphere contains water. The higher the humidity, the greater the amount of water, and the greater the rate of water absorption by the alcohol."

I bought a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport new last year and it now has 22k miles on it. I just started having issues with starting yesterday. The symptoms are that when I step on the brake and push the button, it clicks and the engine light comes on. Naturally, I checked all my fluids and had plenty. I also noticed that the brake pedal became stiff and wouldn't depress all the way. It will eventually start, and the engine light will go off, but it's quite frustrating. I don't put E-85 gas in it so that doesn't seem to be related. I have also been having issues with the proximity sensors. They will suddenly go off when sitting still.

No trolls, no fish, no competitors. I'm just an average consumer reporting issues with my Explorer.

I would check battery first.

Your brake pedal is getting stiff because the engine vacuum provides the power brake assist. Without the engine running, you pump the vacuum reserve out of the booster. It's totally normal.

I bought a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport new last year and it now has 22k miles on it. I just started having issues with starting yesterday. The symptoms are that when I step on the brake and push the button, it clicks and the engine light comes on. Naturally, I checked all my fluids and had plenty. I also noticed that the brake pedal became stiff and wouldn't depress all the way. It will eventually start, and the engine light will go off, but it's quite frustrating. I don't put E-85 gas in it so that doesn't seem to be related. I have also been having issues with the proximity sensors. They will suddenly go off when sitting still.

No trolls, no fish, no competitors. I'm just an average consumer reporting issues with my Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I agree with Odrapnew. Just because your vehicle is a 2016 doesn't mean that the cause isn't the battery. Some members have had battery issues in the first few months. It may not be the cause but a good first place to start. Have it checked.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything about this is pointing to a failing battery.

Back