2016 Steering issues - recall related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Steering issues - recall related?

Reaction score
City, State
Mantua, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hello! I am having some issues with steering lately. While driving the wheel will randomly veer left or right.

I noticed that there was some play in the inner tierod ends so I replaced those and after replacing I noticed there is still play in my front axle shaft driver side which lets the steering have some play still. After replacing the inner and outer the steering still veers left and right. Today I realized this isn’t a bump steer type of event because the steering wheel is actually pulled back and forth.

Could this be related to the recall? I have an appointment at the ford dealer but it is a few weeks out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely could be due to recall on rear toelink rod. There is also a video to check. Jack up rear, put on stands, then put jack under the rear control arm and jack it up some, but not enough to lift off stands. Now grab tire at 3:00 and 9:00 and see id there is any lateral movement, back and forth. Should not be any

Thanks for the reply but this is the steering up front doing it. The steering wheel will shift so that to drive straight the wheel is at a 45 degree angle. To drive straight and then shift back to straight again totally at random while driving.

Any odd noises coming from your front end? Any binding when you turn the wheel? Also have you checked your front lower control arm bushings?

Any odd noises coming from your front end? Any binding when you turn the wheel? Also have you checked your front lower control arm bushings?
I saw a post about that from a couple years ago. Not sure how to check them. I will have to see if I can look that up on the tube.

I was curious if this could be related to the electronic power steering recall? What we’re people experiencing with that?

I had the same issue on my 2016 Sport but it wasn't as strong as what you describe. I went to an alignment shop and had all 4 wheels checked, and he reported that the rear toe links had not been properly tightened after installation at the recall service! The rear wheels were fighting the front, causing the steering wheel to be moved- after the alignment all was tight and problem solved. The issue caused my rear tires to wear quite rapidly.

I had the same issue on my 2016 Sport but it wasn't as strong as what you describe. I went to an alignment shop and had all 4 wheels checked, and he reported that the rear toe links had not been properly tightened after installation at the recall service! The rear wheels were fighting the front, causing the steering wheel to be moved- after the alignment all was tight and problem solved. The issue caused my rear tires to wear quite rapidly.
This is why i posted about rear toe link

Hello! I am having some issues with steering lately. While driving the wheel will randomly veer left or right.

I noticed that there was some play in the inner tierod ends so I replaced those and after replacing I noticed there is still play in my front axle shaft driver side which lets the steering have some play still. After replacing the inner and outer the steering still veers left and right. Today I realized this isn’t a bump steer type of event because the steering wheel is actually pulled back and forth.

Could this be related to the recall? I have an appointment at the ford dealer but it is a few weeks out.
This happened to me. It turned out to be a ujoint on the steering shaft. It was covered by the recall.

Appreciate all the comments. I did check the rear suspension and the lower ball joint and the lower control arm bushings. The only thing I see is the is my driver front axle has looseness. My appointment is finally coming up Saturday. I’m going to just ask them to check for open recalls and do any required. If it doesn’t fix it I will try the cv axle. If I still can’t get it fixed I will either take it somewhere or trade it in on something else.

I use it for Uber and I had to stop driving it because it has gotten so bad. I literally can’t keep it on the road.

Back