2016 Variable temp control problem. Only works on Hi or Low settings. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Variable temp control problem. Only works on Hi or Low settings.

MBro77

Reaction score
City, State
Catawba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue as I haven't been able to find a thread with my exact symptoms.

Climate control only works on Hi or Lo temp settings. Blower motor works fine, I am only referring to temperature controls, if I set to Hi it blows hot air but when backing down the temperature it will continue to blow hot until I get to Lo in which case it will begin to blow cold. If I go back up and try to adjust temperature it will continue to blow cold air until I reach the Hi setting again. I am unable to manually set variable temp settings from 60-85 degrees.
This is true for single zone or dual climate so I know that both the driver side and passenger side blend doors are functioning to some degree because they will switch from hot to cold but only at the Hi and Lo settings.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
side note, the ambient temperature sensor located behind the front grill is working normally, it shows the correct outside temperature (I also replaced this just for giggles to see if that still might be the issue as it was a cheap and relatively easy job to rule it out) this was the issue on the only other similar thread I could find here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is this a recent issue? Are you able to use voice commands to set the temperature? I have mine set on Auto and rarely adjust the temperature so I'm not sure what is going on. When I did change ut, I used voice commands.

Peter

Is this a recent issue? Are you able to use voice commands to set the temperature? I have mine set on Auto and rarely adjust the temperature so I'm not sure what is going on. When I did change ut, I used voice commands.

Peter
To be honest I'm not sure how to set via voice command, I have tried settings using the touchscreen display as well as the manual climate control.
Same behavior. I am wondering, is there an internal cabin temperature sensor that could be bad/disconnected? Having trouble finding one on the usual suspects sites, Advance Auto, Napa, AutoZone. I did find this on Rock Auto LINK but would love to find a local dealer if this is a possible fix.

I'm going to see if I can find a replacement part locally and swap it out right now, I'll post once it's complete to let you know if that fixed the issue, thanks for the reply.
Any Luck? I have the same issue with my 2015 Explorer XLT

Any Luck? I have the same issue with my 2015 Explorer XLT
FYI, that was the member's last post here and hasn't been seen since.

Peter

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue as I haven't been able to find a thread with my exact symptoms.

Climate control only works on Hi or Lo temp settings. Blower motor works fine, I am only referring to temperature controls, if I set to Hi it blows hot air but when backing down the temperature it will continue to blow hot until I get to Lo in which case it will begin to blow cold. If I go back up and try to adjust temperature it will continue to blow cold air until I reach the Hi setting again. I am unable to manually set variable temp settings from 60-85 degrees.
This is true for single zone or dual climate so I know that both the driver side and passenger side blend doors are functioning to some degree because they will switch from hot to cold but only at the Hi and Lo settings.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
side note, the ambient temperature sensor located behind the front grill is working normally, it shows the correct outside temperature (I also replaced this just for giggles to see if that still might be the issue as it was a cheap and relatively easy job to rule it out) this was the issue on the only other similar thread I could find here
was this resolved? I'm having the same issue.

Back