• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT Brakes

swartoutw

Reaction score
City, State
Onalaska, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
First post and, of course, it's a question.

Are the brakes on the 2016 the same as the 2015? I would like to get some MGP Brake Caliper Covers but the folks that sell them do not list the 2016 yet.

Thanks.

IMG_2357%20800x533.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new xlt. Used to live in Holmen and Bangor, nice area down there. I don't know about the same, but am not a fan of the covers, and wow are they expensive. Have you considered painting them with caliper paint? the one below are painted and lasted well, on a new vehicle that is clean should paint really well.

I wouldn't cover, I'd also paint .... I would think heat build up could be an issue with the covers.

I have used the caliper paint in the past on several cars, it looks great for a while. Then the dirt sets in and it is impossible to keep them clean. At least in my experience.

The MGP covers are very shiny and slick, dirt does not stick, and they always look clean. The wheels stay cleaner as well.

I have had the MGP covers on 3 cars now, so I am a great fan. After 5 years, the set I had on my Dodge Magnum looked brand new. Same for the Edge that I just traded that went 110,000 miles on the original brakes with the covers on so I don't think the brakes get any hotter. If anything, they would act as a heat sink.

I too don't like brake caliper covers. for a lot of reasons but mostly because they are spendy.

if you just can't stand it - and feel you need something. then I too recommend painting them with labeled "caliper paint". they are usually ceramic based, high temp resistant.

doing it right - take the calipers off the car, and the brackets - covers the rubbers - clean it thoroughly - paint 2 coats. let cure (usually 2 hours) install on car.

I've done this twice - both of cars were actual performance cars - and I color matched. Longevity in both cases the caliper paint stayed over 3 years with 4 or 5 caliper removals so replace pads as I also tracked those cars on road courses.

I appreciate that you are trying to dress up your car - but it is a rental car white ford explorer on what looks like 18's that's not a sport model either. so, I'd maybe put the money elsewhere.

To each their own however so regardless I wish you luck.

Meanwhile if you are set on the covers - find you a 15 model out in the wild - preferably someone you know - and with a ruler take a rough measure of them.

Another option - look up a ford parts page or go to your dealers parts counter. ask the guy to look up the part numbers between a 15 model and your new one.

I'd bet stock for stock - they are the same.

Wow, my first post and already I've managed to get insulted about my color choice as well as received advice on something I already knew. Guess I won't be asking any more questions here. LOL.

This should be fun.

Wow, my first post and already I've managed to get insulted about my color choice as well as received advice on something I already knew. Guess I won't be asking any more questions here. LOL.

This should be fun.

Welcome to the internet. I too have a rental car white explorer. it gets hot down here and white is one of the better colors for a daily and it looks cleaner longer. however I almost bought a blue one.

I might be abrasive, but really I'd spend money elsewhere. get some window tint if that's your thing too, or spend the money to trade the other exterior incandescent bulbs with LED's (something that's on my list)

etc. I think the brake calipers on the explorer are minimally noticeable and I've got the bigger 20 inch wheels (that I didn't really want but it's what was on the lot).

I personally wouldn't use them. Heat soak is the no. 1 killer of braking ability and the covers would trap heat causing degradation of braking ability. I plan on getting drilled and slotted rotors in a few years to enhance the look and performance of my brakes.

so Ford had a great parts page if you just look up Ford Parts in google - first or second hit is the FOMOCO parts catalog. same one the dealer uses.

if you check 2015 against 2016, Explorer XLT - the rear brake calipers are the same part numbers, and drawing designations.

Also since I'm abrasive I have to do this too.

drilled rotors will not help the performance of your brakes. slotted only - yes.

Drilled rotors while they might look cool do indeed remove thermal mass from the rotor thus reducing it's overall cooling ability - or specifically it's heat sinking ability. which is the second goal. primary goal being a friction surface. Yes some sporty cars have drilled rotors - they are for show because back in the 70's and 80's some sporty and race cars had drilled rotors too.

if you want to increase the performance - slotted only and a good metalic/ceramic pad, and fresh brake fluid is your friends - and some SS brake lines in place of the rubber ones. you want to go beyond that - mount bigger rotors, and if you can bigger pads/calipers.

best thing you could do - get better tires.

why slotted only - they will help increase the friction of your pads by keeping them clean and free of glazing. IN the olden days they also allowed for trapped gasses between the pads and rotors under heat to escape. with modern ceramic or metallic/ceramic pads this is not a real issue. Also pad makers started grooving their pads to help with this also. Glazing - when you lay hard on your brakes for turn 5 at road atlanta, you can heat the surface up enough it will coke over and create a slicker surface when they cool again - if your rotors were slotted that gets scraped by the slots as they go past - leaving a nice clean pad face for the next hard brake application.

if however you aren't going to drive this hard - it's mostly wasted effort again.

for looks - if just for looks - knock yourself out. Brand wise I like DBA for the quality of it. Centric is chinese made crap though.

See, now THERE'S some useful information. I had not been able to find those part numbers and you helped me out. Thanks. The parts lists I was looking at did not show the 2016 model yet. The fronts are also the same it seems.

That is why one goes to forums.

:)

. . . drilled rotors will not help the performance of your brakes. slotted only - yes.

Drilled rotors while they might look cool do indeed remove thermal mass from the rotor thus reducing it's overall cooling ability - or specifically it's heat sinking ability. which is the second goal. primary goal being a friction surface. Yes some sporty cars have drilled rotors - they are for show because back in the 70's and 80's some sporty and race cars had drilled rotors too.

if you want to increase the performance - slotted only and a good metalic/ceramic pad, and fresh brake fluid is your friends - and some SS brake lines in place of the rubber ones. you want to go beyond that - mount bigger rotors, and if you can bigger pads/calipers.

best thing you could do - get better tires.

why slotted only - they will help increase the friction of your pads by keeping them clean and free of glazing. IN the olden days they also allowed for trapped gasses between the pads and rotors under heat to escape. with modern ceramic or metallic/ceramic pads this is not a real issue. Also pad makers started grooving their pads to help with this also. Glazing - when you lay hard on your brakes for turn 5 at road atlanta, you can heat the surface up enough it will coke over and create a slicker surface when they cool again - if your rotors were slotted that gets scraped by the slots as they go past - leaving a nice clean pad face for the next hard brake application.

if however you aren't going to drive this hard - it's mostly wasted effort again.

for looks - if just for looks - knock yourself out. . . .
Welcome swartoutw ! +1 what Napalm said. When we upgraded the woefully inadequate brakes on our 300ZX we went with Stillen sourced slotted rotors (Brembo I think) with stainless steel brake lines and never looked back. Our XKR had drilled rotors and if I had kept it, I intended to upgrade the rotors to EBC slotted ceramic. BTW, those 16" SSR lightweight wheels in the pic were trick at the time :eek:

Here's another vote for painting the calipers rather than covers. Less unsprung mass + I'd worry constantly about the covers coming loose and raising all kinds of h@ll just when I didn't need it. I just like to limit my variables.

medium.gif

Congrats on your new Explo! Hang in there, I have a white Sport also and I love it !

Back