2016 XLT ecoboost (non sport) Shuts off while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT ecoboost (non sport) Shuts off while driving

Burns363R

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
All,
I'm in need of some help. My mother bought a 2016 brand new and has 100k miles on it. It has recently just started shutting off randomly. Ford cant figure out whats wrong with it, but they are willing to just sell her a brand new 2020. I'm a die hard ford guy, but this is very irritating. She wont drive it because shes afraid of it happening now, so they have her over a barrel.

Is there anything i can do or look at? I drove it and it drives amazingly. Still like new inside and out, and i couldn't get it to shut off on my in the 60-70 miles i drove it for.

Anybody ever here of this? Is there a fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long of a drive timewise was she driving when it shut off? Just curious as there is an Automatic Engine Shutdown feature that kicks in after an extended idling period. I wonder if there is any connection through a fault of some kind. I don't believe your issue has been brought up here before. Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes? I'm guessing that it starts right up again.

Peter

one time was right after she started it and went about 50' in my drive way. The other im not sure, but she was sitting at a stop light. There are no codes in the computer according to the dealership. It never gets to idle for extended time.

How long of a drive timewise was she driving when it shut off? Just curious as there is an Automatic Engine Shutdown feature that kicks in after an extended idling period. I wonder if there is any connection through a fault of some kind. I don't believe your issue has been brought up here before. Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes? I'm guessing that it starts right up again.

Peter

@peterk9 does this year feature auto start stop technology? If so maybe the setting got changed and confused

Hi Jon. The Start/Stop technology was introduced on the 2020 Explorer and Aviator. The 5th generation Explorer does not have it.

Peter

All,
I'm in need of some help. My mother bought a 2016 brand new and has 100k miles on it. It has recently just started shutting off randomly. Ford cant figure out whats wrong with it, but they are willing to just sell her a brand new 2020. I'm a die hard ford guy, but this is very irritating. She wont drive it because shes afraid of it happening now, so they have her over a barrel.

Is there anything i can do or look at? I drove it and it drives amazingly. Still like new inside and out, and i couldn't get it to shut off on my in the 60-70 miles i drove it for.

Anybody ever here of this? Is there a fix?
did you ever figure out the issue, I am having the same problem with my 2014 explorer.

Back