2017 Explorer 3.5L ecoboost condenser & drier replacement - pag oil amount? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer 3.5L ecoboost condenser & drier replacement - pag oil amount?

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I had to replace the condenser and drier on my 2017 explorer ecoboost 3.5L. How much pag oil should I put in when recharging the system? The sticker shows 7.3 total ounces for the system.

Hello!

Short answer: If you replaced the condenser *only*, you should add back 1.5 oz. or so into the condenser inlet OR carefully through the low-side as you are charging it back up. If you have any idea how much came out during reclaiming/recycling add that amount back in as well.

If you did things in a more through manner and have the money it is also best to replace the receiver drier/accumulator assembly along with the condenser. In this situation add back 2 oz. plus whatever you might have lost during reclaim/recycle.

As you recharge: Listen carefully for noise coming from the compressor as it cycles in and out. You may find you need to add a *small amount more*. As in a 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. to quiet things up. But more IS NOT better. Don't overdo it. You should only do that if the compressor is noisy and wasn't noisy before the repair. If you have other leak points in the lines and had lost lots of refrigerant and PAG oil from those leaks you may need to add a bit more.

Additional details: Why consider replacing the receiver drier/accumulator? Generally, it is considered a good idea to replace the receiver driver/accumulator anytime an a/c system has been opened to atmosphere for a while. This is because there is a desiccant bag inside of the part which pulls out moisture and helps prevent the formation of acids and corrosion inside of the a/c system. Exposure to air and moisture will make it less effective. Additionally, this is why it is mandatory to pull down an a/c system under a vacuum for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes is what was taught back when I was trained), close the gauge valves, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Pulling it down under vacuum and letting it sit afterwards does two things - gets out as much oxygen and moisture as possible, and if the vacuum in the system drops as it sits with the gauge valves closed you know you have another leak to fix someplace.

Lastly, the chart below is in the 2018 factory service manual
1679351741189.png

Hope this helps!

Tele

Hello!

Short answer: If you replaced the condenser *only*, you should add back 1.5 oz. or so into the condenser inlet OR carefully through the low-side as you are charging it back up. If you have any idea how much came out during reclaiming/recycling add that amount back in as well.

If you did things in a more through manner and have the money it is also best to replace the receiver drier/accumulator assembly along with the condenser. In this situation add back 2 oz. plus whatever you might have lost during reclaim/recycle.

As you recharge: Listen carefully for noise coming from the compressor as it cycles in and out. You may find you need to add a *small amount more*. As in a 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. to quiet things up. But more IS NOT better. Don't overdo it. You should only do that if the compressor is noisy and wasn't noisy before the repair. If you have other leak points in the lines and had lost lots of refrigerant and PAG oil from those leaks you may need to add a bit more.

Additional details: Why consider replacing the receiver drier/accumulator? Generally, it is considered a good idea to replace the receiver driver/accumulator anytime an a/c system has been opened to atmosphere for a while. This is because there is a desiccant bag inside of the part which pulls out moisture and helps prevent the formation of acids and corrosion inside of the a/c system. Exposure to air and moisture will make it less effective. Additionally, this is why it is mandatory to pull down an a/c system under a vacuum for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes is what was taught back when I was trained), close the gauge valves, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Pulling it down under vacuum and letting it sit afterwards does two things - gets out as much oxygen and moisture as possible, and if the vacuum in the system drops as it sits with the gauge valves closed you know you have another leak to fix someplace.

Lastly, the chart below is in the 2018 factory service manual View attachment 440128

Hope this helps!

Tele
I replaced the drier when I put the new condenser on. I pulled a vacuum on it for 30-45 mins and it has been holding vacuum, so no leaks. I don't know how much pag oil was lost. The Explorer was involved in a front collision and smashed up the radiator, condenser and oil cooler pretty bad. That said, the system was not charged with freon when I recieved the vehicle since the condenser was bent. So I don't know how much PAG oil was lost because nothing was "collected"

When I removed the lines from the condenser, no PAG oil leaked out. Same when I removed the line that goes in to the top of the drier assembly, no PAG oil leaked out.

I see the note on the factory service manual stating that if an excessive amount of oil is lost due to rupture or other damage, the total system capacity must be added. Since it was involved in a collision and no PAG oil was dripping out when I replaced the condenser and drier, would you suggest adding more or even close to the 7.3 total ounces back into the system. Note** I am just using a simple vacuum pump and manifold gauges...no fancy machine to recharge the system.

Thanks for your help!

Considering that the majority of oil is typically in the a/c compressor and circulates through the system, I'd start out with what is on that chart. 2 oz. when you replace both the condensor and reciever/drier. Look for large amounts of oil around where the condenser was compromised to gauge if you need to add more than 2 oz. If you don't see a lot of oil you won't need much more than the 2 oz. added back. If the compressor is noisy when engaged add a bit and let it stabilize and circulate while listening, watching your pressures, and checking the output temp. Too much oil will hurt the cooling ability and possibly damage the compressor. Hopefully there are no other issues. Hope this helps!
Tele

Back