2017 Explorer AC blows cold then warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer AC blows cold then warm

clm65

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
The AC in my wife's explorer is acting up. It initially blows cold air, then warm air for a few minutes, then blows cold again, and keeps on going back and forth between cold and warm. The dealer has witnessed the problem and agrees it is an issue, but has so far been unable to determine the cause and fix it. They did the standard refrigerant charge checks, updated whatever software controls the system, did their diagnostics checks, etc. They had the vehicle for a couple of days two weeks ago, and again this week for a couple of days, and have come up empty. They gave my wife the car back tonight, and said they need to send all the info they have to the Ford engineers and see what they recommend. My wife is not too happy about having crappy AC in 90+ degree weather, which means I'm not too happy because I have to hear about it...a lot. Has anybody seen this issue before? I'd love to pass along any tips to help speed up the process. Note that this is the Limited model with the Ecoboost engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AC in my wife's explorer is acting up. It initially blows cold air, then warm air for a few minutes, then blows cold again, and keeps on going back and forth between cold and warm. The dealer has witnessed the problem and agrees it is an issue, but has so far been unable to determine the cause and fix it. They did the standard refrigerant charge checks, updated whatever software controls the system, did their diagnostics checks, etc. They had the vehicle for a couple of days two weeks ago, and again this week for a couple of days, and have come up empty. They gave my wife the car back tonight, and said they need to send all the info they have to the Ford engineers and see what they recommend. My wife is not too happy about having crappy AC in 90+ degree weather, which means I'm not too happy because I have to hear about it...a lot. Has anybody seen this issue before? I'd love to pass along any tips to help speed up the process. Note that this is the Limited model with the Ecoboost engine.

What have they confirmed? When you say Limited with Ecoboost do you mean the 4 cyl one? IIRC this motor uses a variable displacement compressor so not only does it have a clutch to engine the ac compressor pulley but it has a variable solenoid that changes the compression.

They need to look at the AC request signal from the HVAC unit to the PCM.
The AC clutch request .
The EVDC signal to the variable displacement solenoid.
EVAP sensor temp
unfiltered ambient temp reading
interior air temp reading
driver and passenger blend door voltages
and pressure sensor reading

A seasoned tech should be able to get a good idea of what's going on electrically just by viewing those variables on a scan tool.

What were the pressure readings on the low & high side? Did they replace the orifice valve, use a vacuum pump, then fill it with freon or just add freon without replacing anything? Did they verify that the pressure switch was cycling even though the pressure was adequate? Maybe the pressure switch is defective?

What were the pressure readings on the low & high side? Did they replace the orifice valve, use a vacuum pump, then fill it with freon or just add freon without replacing anything? Did they verify that the pressure switch was cycling even though the pressure was adequate? Maybe the pressure switch is defective?
They use pressure transducers now. Not an on/off switch like they were in previous generations.

It is the 4 cylinder Ecoboost. I can't tell you what all they checked or what the readings were. They didn't say that they replaced anything. They did not want to give us any paperwork, other than a copy of the work order cover sheet that basically showed we had it in for service - they said it was still an open work order so they had to keep the paperwork. I'll show them the list of things recommended above. Thanks guys!

It is the 4 cylinder Eco-boost. I can't tell you what all they checked or what the readings were. They didn't say that they replaced anything. They did not want to give us any paperwork, other than a copy of the work order cover sheet that basically showed we had it in for service - they said it was still an open work order so they had to keep the paperwork. I'll show them the list of things recommended above. Thanks guys!
Hi. New here so I hope I'm replying correctly and if not, apologies and any direction to do it correctly next time would be welcomed! I have a 2014 Explorer Sport TurboBoost. Bought June 2014. A/C Compressor/Pulley went in August 2015. Replaced full assembly under warranty. A/C Compressor/Pulley went again this week - went to Ford because the part is no longer covered and it was not a cheap fix so Ford covered 50%. No leaks in refrigerant or compressor oil on either occasion. On both occasions the compressor just 'went'. No warning. Both times, first indication was a/c blowing warm/hot air and rattling sound from front underside. Try looking at that part and see if that helps with your vehicle. As an aside - my daughter has a 2017 Lincoln MKC which just started blowing warm air from the a/c. She'll be getting the a/c compressor assembly checked out. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum Morgan.:wave:

Peter

Hi. New here so I hope I'm replying correctly and if not, apologies and any direction to do it correctly next time would be welcomed! I have a 2014 Explorer Sport TurboBoost. Bought June 2014. A/C Compressor/Pulley went in August 2015. Replaced full assembly under warranty. A/C Compressor/Pulley went again this week - went to Ford because the part is no longer covered and it was not a cheap fix so Ford covered 50%. No leaks in refrigerant or compressor oil on either occasion. On both occasions the compressor just 'went'. No warning. Both times, first indication was a/c blowing warm/hot air and rattling sound from front underside. Try looking at that part and see if that helps with your vehicle. As an aside - my daughter has a 2017 Lincoln MKC which just started blowing warm air from the a/c. She'll be getting the a/c compressor assembly checked out. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion Morgan. In your case, did it just blow warm air (no cold)? In my wife's car it alternates between cold and warm. A couple of weeks ago I put a thermocouple in the vent on my F150 with the AC set on max. Air temp was upper 40's. Did it on my neighbor's F150 and my son's Kia too, and all were upper 40's to about 50F. Did the same to my wife's explorer, and temperature would be dropping in the 60's and then jump back up to 80, and then drop again. Local Ford shop has had the car for over a week this time (wife told them she did not want to drive it anymore and they gave her a rental). They said they run some tests per Ford corporate engineer's direction, and then send the results back, and wait for further instructions. So a long slow process with no resolution so far. At least they acknowledge it has a problem.

I have a 2013 Limited 2.0 EcoBoost and I am also having this same problem with the AC. Has your dealer found a solution to this? Ours has been at the dealer and they also acknowledge the problem, but can't find a solution either.

I have a 2013 Limited 2.0 EcoBoost and I am also having this same problem with the AC. Has your dealer found a solution to this? Ours has been at the dealer and they also acknowledge the problem, but can't find a solution either.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Yes! Sorry for not closing the loop sooner, but after 3 weeks at the dealer, it seems to finally be fixed. The problem was a temperature sensor. I'm not sure exactly which sensor it was, but they said it was mounted in the evaporator cover, so the entire cover needed to be replaced. I'm not sure why the dealer could not diagnose it with a scan tool as sheltonfilms suggested above, but they ended up getting troubleshooting instructions from Ford Engineering (via email). Then they would perform whatever instructions the engineer gave them, and send back the results (via email), and wait for further instructions (via email). So the whole process took a long time due to the communication protocol. I would pass this on to your dealer and see if he has a way of monitoring the signal from each temperature sensor for abnormalities. Good luck and let us know what happens!

What have they confirmed? When you say Limited with Ecoboost do you mean the 4 cyl one? IIRC this motor uses a variable displacement compressor so not only does it have a clutch to engine the ac compressor pulley but it has a variable solenoid that changes the compression.

They need to look at the AC request signal from the HVAC unit to the PCM.
The AC clutch request .
The EVDC signal to the variable displacement solenoid.
EVAP sensor temp
unfiltered ambient temp reading
interior air temp reading
driver and passenger blend door voltages
and pressure sensor reading

A seasoned tech should be able to get a good idea of what's going on electrically just by viewing those variables on a scan tool.
Hello I’m new here I’m reading all these comments and not sure what the problem is I’m having. I have 2017 Ford Explorer XLT V6 and mine was blowing cold then all of a sudden starts blowing warm so I went and got a Freon and put a whole can well while it’s being filled it got really cold then just got hot and stayed that way for a day. I would randomly turn it on to see what it would do well tonight it started blowing cold and now it sounds like a noise coming from compressor I think. I just bought the car so it doesn’t have any warranty or anything so I’m gonna be out of pocket on everything

Hello I’m new here I’m reading all these comments and not sure what the problem is I’m having. I have 2017 Ford Explorer XLT V6 and mine was blowing cold then all of a sudden starts blowing warm so I went and got a Freon and put a whole can well while it’s being filled it got really cold then just got hot and stayed that way for a day. I would randomly turn it on to see what it would do well tonight it started blowing cold and now it sounds like a noise coming from compressor I think. I just bought the car so it doesn’t have any warranty or anything so I’m gonna be out of pocket on everything
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check the refrigerant before adding to it? Your Owner's Manual shows the correct amount required. The refrigerant is Motorcraft R134a YN-19. It is also dependent upon engine size and FWD or AWD if you have the 3.5L V6.

Peter

Back