2017 Explorer - Fuel Gauge Above Full | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer - Fuel Gauge Above Full

matthewn172

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I've searched and searched for someone having the same problem as me before posting, but no luck.

One day while I was out I noticed my fuel gauge jumped up way above full when I got back in the car. It seems to still be working, it gradually lowers as I drive and burn gas, but its like the needle is out of whack with where its supposed to be. I ran it down to almost empty and the needle dropped to just below "F" and when I filled it back up, it jumped back up so high that if I were to drive the car 140 mph the needles would hit each other. Does anyone have a clue about what could be causing this? I asked a friend who works on Police Explorers for a major city and he said he's never seen that before

Welcome to the Forum Matthew. :wave:
Thanks for searching first. I don't recall a similar issue. Most issues regard the needle dropping or not moving up to the 'Full' mark. Have you checked for error codes? I wonder if it might be a grounding issue?

Peter

Back