2017 explorer possible elec problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer possible elec problem

michiganbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Base
I have a 2017 base Explorer which recently has started displaying message "System shutdown to conserve battery" on the center dash screen when I first get in the vehicle and insert key. There are no other idiot lights or warnings. Is this something to be concerned about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 base Explorer which recently has started displaying message "System shutdown to conserve battery" on the center dash screen when I first get in the vehicle and insert key. There are no other idiot lights or warnings. Is this something to be concerned about?

Yes, Sounds like the battery might be going bad.

I would take in the dealer and see what they can find.

If battery is good (not guaranteed), you may have a parasitic loss.

Do you have any cell phone chargers, etc, that you leave plugged into the vehicle at all times?

Or, you aren’t driving it long enough to charge the battery enough. This is a “normal” response by the vehicle. I would try taking the vehicle for about a 30 minute ride, and then see if the message is there the following time you start it up( the next morning).Also, nowadays, the charging rate of the electrical system is controlled by the PCM, so as to increase the MPGs by not letting the alternator run at max load( causing a larger drag, using more horsepower)

Welcome to the Forum bob.:wave:
As mentioned above, the battery is usually the cause of that message. From page 116 of your Owner's Manual;
Low Battery Features
Temporarily Turned Off

The battery management system detects an extended low
voltage condition. Your vehicle will disable various features
to help preserve the battery. Turn off as many of the electrical
loads as soon as possible to improve the system voltage.
Once the system voltage recovers, the disabled features will
operate as normal.

Peter

Back