2017 Explorer sport, small oil leak, doesn't seem to get fixed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer sport, small oil leak, doesn't seem to get fixed.

intyvision

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Chevy Silverado
Hi there,
Sorry for the long message, I'm just at wits end.
Maybe someone else has had a similar oil leak, and got it resolved...
I will leave out all of the frustration and lack of assistance from Ford motor co. and the dealer, at this point.

We have a 2017 Explorer sport with just over 18000 miles. At around 17000, I noticed a few spots of oil, here and there, on the garage floor. I crawled under the vehicle, and notice the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, mostly centered at the plastc flywheel cover. We took the car to the dealership, and they looked at said it looks like it was the rear main seal.

Repair 1: They replaced the rear main seal (so they stated), and put a little RTC around where the engine meets the transmission. A few days later, the bottom of the engine was wet with oil and a drop or 2 each day ended up on the garage floor. We took the car back to the dealership, they said it looks like the oil is coming from the oil pan.

Repair 2: They pulled the oil pan, resealed it with rtv. They replaced the turbo line seals.
A few days later the bottom of the engine was wet with oil, and a couple of new drops of oil each day on the garage floor. We contacted the dealership, they asked us to drop the car off, so they can address it correctly this time. The wanted take their time and do it right.

Repair 3: We dropped the explorer off on a Tuesday. They explainded to me that ford mo. co. wanted them to check the block to see if there was a leak in one of the oil channels. If there wasl, they were to replace the engine. Over 1 week later later on a Friday, they said that it was the rear-main seal plate (covers the crank). They got the part in then next Monday. I stopped by the dealer and spoke to the technician. I got there just after he had replaced the plate and put the flywheel on. I took a look at the old plate, and it appeared it wasnt fully sealed with rtv. I took their word for it, and headed on my way to work.
3 days later, we got a call to pick up the vechicle. We were assured that they got the leak this time.

Repair4 coming ?....
My wife gets the Explorer on Thursday, drives home (about 8 miles), drives the vehicle to and from work on Friday ( 18 miles total). Sunday Morning, she pulled the Explorer out of the garage, and I noticed a new drop of oil on the floor! I jack up the vehicle, notice the bottom of the eninge is wet with oil (at the seam again between the engine and transmission), centered at the flywheel cover again. I took photos of the leaking, and proceeeded to the dealer on Monday. I showed the service manager the photos, and they where at a loss, quite dumbfounded, and offered no explanation. I understand they tried their best.
They want us to take the car in again. They've had it for a total of 17 days for the past month and a half.

Even if we wanted to leverage the Lemon law, we are out of luck. Ford will not respect the Lemon law,(after hearing from Ford MoCo), becuase we had 18,0012 miles at the time of them repairing it the 3rd time. NY Lemon law is only good for up to 18,0000! miles. If the dealer would offer a replacement vehicle, I do not want to be on the hook to pay the difference.

My wife loved the car, but due to this issue, she doesnt want it now. I'm hoping it can be fixed at least so I can trade it in or sell it.

Question: Has anyone else have had a similar leak, that may have been fixed, for good?

Thank you,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your lemon law because in most states mileage is from the 1st attempt, not the 3rd.

Edit - NY lemon law is 4 attempts or 30 days out of service but call the DMV and inquire about 18k from 1st attempt or last. It should be 1st as this was when the problem started and itnis from then that they have 4 chances.

Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

• Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Check your lemon law because in most states mileage is from the 1st attempt, not the 3rd.

Edit - NY lemon law is 4 attempts or 30 days out of service but call the DMV and inquire about 18k from 1st attempt or last. It should be 1st as this was when the problem started and itnis from then that they have 4 chances.

Thanks for the response. I'll contact the DMV.

I have just called a couple of other dealerships, to see if they would be able to address the problem, as I do not have much confidence in the current one.
They (other dealers) expressed concern about possibly not getting paid from Ford, due to it being the "same exact repair". I seem to be forced, for now, to take it to my current dealer.

I have just called a couple of other dealerships, to see if they would be able to address the problem, as I do not have much confidence in the current one.
They (other dealers) expressed concern about possibly not getting paid from Ford, due to it being the "same exact repair". I seem to be forced, for now, to take it to my current dealer.

That could be an issue with another dealership. Ford will only pay once for a repair unless there seems to be a different part that is bad as well and needs to be redone. Ford will tell the dealership what to do if they need guidance so it is on their dime. However, in an instance like this, Ford can approve another dealer to look at it and pay them for the repair and chargeback the repair from the first dealer. I'd get a case going with Ford ASAP and request a different dealer to look at it.

I'd also call the DMV to inquire on the mileage issue first because if I'm correct (I believe I am), you can still file lemon law if your first complaint on the issue was logged prior to 18. If that's the case, you have a lot more leverage with Ford on getting 2nd dealer's repairs approved (look, either let me take it to a different dealer or I'll file lemon law).

In regards to Lemon Law, although I understand this is very frustrating, I would not consider it on something like this IF this is dealer incompetence (which it seems). In the right techs hands, this should have been resolved the 1st time.. test driven, let sit for a day and then reinspect to make sure it was solved. On the bright side, it's not like they are tearing apart your engine over and over again.

Lastly with LL, their are costs/fees/mileage penalties that could potentially hurt you. IF this could be resolved with a different dealer, I'd get it resolved. I'd request as a good will gesture from Ford a Premium ESP for your inconvenience and even throw in there that you are now worried about future repairs popping up since you are already on attempt 4 coming up. You need attempt 4 to qualify for LL so why go through it if dealer #2 could solve the problem and be done with it and walk away with a free ESP?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't recall a previous issue like this. Good luck.

Peter

I had a leak on mine, but it sounds slightly different than yours.

Front Engine Cover Oil Leak on Explorer Sport

After the repair, I took it back a month later for a checkup and it had started to leak again. They did the repair again, its been about 2 months since the second attempt and I need to get it on a lift soon and see if has gone away for good. It never leaked enough for oil to drip to the floor of the garage, I only noticed the seepage when I was under the X.

Thanks for the reply.
I have dropped the Explorer off. They wanted to "verify" the leak, after the 3rd repair. I called them and they agreed it is indeed leaking again.
They are now waiting for a ford representative to get back to them and assist with the next steps. There was a mention of an FSE (Field Service Engineer) coming on site. Possibly to assist in the 4th attempt?
I understand that in a small percentage of cases these things can occur. My wife is absolutley out of patience with this whole issue.
As far as the lemon law goes for us, after speking to a couple of lawyers, they stated that all repair attempts needed to be completed before 2 years, 18,000 miles. We had 2 repairs compelted in that mileage.

I have called a couple of other dealerships and explained to them this case. One dealer said they would take it in and address the leak, another dealer said "they'd reather not at this time". I will see how this latest attempt goes (if they are attempting), then take it to another dealer.

Attached are a few images, to see where the oil is on the engine.

Leaking from black rubber flywheel cover:

leak1b.JPG

Underneath view, looking up:

leak3.JPG

Underneath view, looking up:

leak3d.JPG

Cheers.

Hi,
Ford seemed to recommend that we take it to a different dealer, to have a "different" set of eyes look at the issue. We have since took the vehicle back and are in the process of reviewing our repair options. The next closet dealer seems to be fairly inattentive and bogged down (according to a couple of Ford owners who have had and continue to have warranty repairs). I may reach out to another dealer farther out, and explain the situation to the service manager to see what he/she thinks.
In the meantime, Ford has mentioned RAV (Reacquired Vehicle), discretionary buyback? where they "buy back" the vehicle. I do not want to be on the hook for anything extra; If they offer us a new version of the vehicle. Frankly, I'd rather find a dealer that would fix or replace the current engine .

Question... Has anyone had gone through a discretionary buyback here, and if so was it beneficial?

Thanks

A few members have gone through a buy back scenario. Don't recall the term RAV being mentioned. I believe they had to pay a certain amount for the mileage if I recall correctly. I think most pursued the "Lemon Law" route.

Peter

A few members have gone through a buy back scenario. Don't recall the term RAV being mentioned. I believe they had to pay a certain amount for the mileage if I recall correctly. I think most pursued the "Lemon Law" route.

Peter

If I recall correctly, the RAV process is Ford's buyback without going through lemon law so it wont be branded a lemon.

Update.
Its been a while, but I realized I fogot to update. Ford did not repair the vehicle, they purchased it back from us a couple of months after this scenario.
It was, however, after reaching out to someone within Ford Corporate, and endless persistence from my wife.

Thanks.

So now what? The Sport is still in your profile.:)

Peter

So now what? The Sport is still in your profile.:)

Peter

ha, I wish we still had the sport. I would have kept it. At least I would always have fresh oil.

I am curious; what engine was in your Sport?

I have personally witnessed oil leaking directly through an aluminum engine block, (porosity).

Dam I am on round 2 with trying to get my oil leak fixed. 2018 model first started dripping oil around 5,000 miles. Took it in and they removed and re sealed the oil pan. That never worked so now at 10,000 miles its at the dealer and they say it's the rear main seal..... Love the vehicle hate the oil leak

I am on my 3rd oil leak fix with less than 9000 miles on the car. Bought the car new in Aug 2018 (was manufactured late 2017).. Car has the 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 FWD.

1st time (~4500 miles): they said it was coming from the oil filter seal. I believed them since the car sat in a lot for a year and a half.

2nd time (3 weeks ago and ~8200miles).. i noticed oil on the black plastic flywheel cover.. they told me it was the oil pan seal. They had it for 4 days

3rd time (Monday).. still oil on the flywheel cover, and new oil at that from visit #2 (one of the plastic screws that secure the cover was missing from visit #2).. now they tell me its the rear main seal. Told me i would get it back in a week.

Will update when i get it back

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hope they get it right this time.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope so! Love the car.. just didn't think i would be dealing with an oil leak so early into the ownership

Back