2017 Explorer Sport - The new family truckster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport - The new family truckster

relbus

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I'm pretty excited. Two weeks ago I bought my wife a 2017 Explorer Sport in white.

So far I have added Ford accessory DVD headrests, had the windows tinted with 15% 3m film all around, had the windshield tinted with 3m crystalline film in 70%. Added weather tech floor liners throughout. Black Ford and sport badges. and the Livernois tuner should be here Monday.

117CA105-9AF9-48D2-AAC0-16262B6446AF_zps1gsxlluy.jpg

7B7C89E2-BACC-4A88-8667-7B025B17830E_zpsoj5alv8p.jpg

76673843-DD8D-40C0-AB08-399AE9772184_zpsedctsjmc.jpg

11AA4CF5-5EE6-4C88-96AD-F42D6D938CF1_zpsw9nchp7m.jpg

EAFE911D-DF7F-493E-AD33-0E6F5E0E4C18_zpsvof2ymnh.jpg

more to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the badges?

481f1c95-bad9-4c21-a347-0f982dd824c1_zps17u271vu.jpg

Got the front one on last night. It was cold and rainy, and I didn't want the heat to escape from the garage, so I decided not to do the rear badges last night. I've asked my wife to back it in when she comes home this evening, and I hope to finish the rear. I will be sure to post pics once I complete the rear.

Sweet, I just purchased my wife the same 17 sport in white. So far we love it. Tell us how the tune works out, I will be getting one hopefully next month. So did you tint the windshield also? I didnt know they did that.

Sweet, I just purchased my wife the same 17 sport in white. So far we love it. Tell us how the tune works out, I will be getting one hopefully next month. So did you tint the windshield also? I didnt know they did that.

We love it also! Broke it in by taking it on a long weekend travel hockey tournament trip.

Yes windshield is tinted. They will tint about anything you ask them to. Its not legal, but 70% is very subtle. Its a heat reduction film, and it really helps. I have had it on the last 4 vehicles we have bought, and I have never been hassled.

Looks awesome! Just ordered that black sport badge and I will just take the EcoBoost 4WD badge right off (Couldn't find one in black). I don't love the blue Ford emblems, but I'm cheap so I'll have to wait on those!

Looks awesome! Just ordered that black sport badge and I will just take the EcoBoost 4WD badge right off (Couldn't find one in black). I don't love the blue Ford emblems, but I'm cheap so I'll have to wait on those!

Thanks! I am planning to attempt to wrap the ecoboost badge. I am hoping it will still allow you to see the ecoboost 4wd lettering. I have had great luck wrapping things on my pickup, so I am hoping that tiny badge looks good wrapped, otherwise its coming off for me too. I will be sure to post up once its done.

OK, finished up the rear last night. The sport badge was slightly smaller than the stock badge. I am going to look at another one on ebay and possibly order it. This one had to be curved slightly to sit properly on the tailgate. I marked the location of the stock one with painters tape, removed it, and then installed the new black one to ensure it was in the correct location. The Ecoboost 4wd badge I wrapped with gloss black vinyl. It turned out OK, but I could have done a better job if I had not been rushing at midnight to do it. I will probably pull it off and redo it when I am looking for a quick project.
I was surprised at how difficult it was to pop the OEM ford badge off.
64185542-b296-42bc-93e9-989c98d532c7_zpsqr8fazit.jpg

87b994ed-d1f0-40c7-a17e-df85520191a9_zps9apygbdt.jpg

372e85fa-d514-4674-89d9-4611269d4df2_zpsd4wksad2.jpg
7981B7DF-BBBA-4C05-954A-2C37DBF35D45_zpsoaajwxsv.jpg

for what it's worth, i wouldn't have noticed the sport logo being smaller without a side by side comparison. I thought the ecoboost logo was smooth, but now that I see it's contoured maybe plastidip would work better?

Love everything you've done to your Explorer! Congrats!

for what it's worth, i wouldn't have noticed the sport logo being smaller without a side by side comparison. I thought the ecoboost logo was smooth, but now that I see it's contoured maybe plastidip would work better?
I really can't tell either, but I'm sometimes a bit OCD about these things. Also, the sport badge you can tell is not quite the same quality as the OEM one. I guess that is usually the case though. I may try the more expensive one I found on ebay. worst case it ends up on my garage cabinet door. I thought about dip, but usually as your build dip up, you lose the definition and contours on badges like these. That's why I decided to try vinyl before dip. I think if I heat it up again, remove and stretch, heat, etc I can get it looking better.

Nicely done. My Ex Sport is black but similar to yours (headrest DVDs, tint..). I ordered the black ford emblems from a different seller that have been mentioned in other threads on here and the color scheme I got is reverse of yours; gloss black background with matte FORD lettering (mimicking the gloss hood with matte EXPLORER lettering). I also bought the same SPORT logo but haven't mounted it. Didn't know it's smaller than the stock one. It's making me not want to put it on. haha If you find another source that has the correct size, can you let me know?

I've also been emailing Livernois about the tune but have yet to pull the trigger. Have you uploaded it and what's your take so far?

Sounds sweet ECF! The sport being smaller, is hardly noticeable. The badge I bought was only like $7-8. There is another on ebay for like $20. I may try that one, but if I can't find one same size as OEM, I will probably just leave it.

Livernois tuner just arrived today. FedEx said saturday delivery, then changed it to Monday, then called Tuesday saying my address was wrong (it was not, they just had a space between two digits in my address) So they finally got it here today. Every single shipment FedEx has handled for me in the last 5 years has somehow been screwed up. Tonight I will pull the info needed for Livernois, and then they should deliver my tunes via email tomorrow. So hopefully tomorrow night I am able to load up some tunes!

The SPORT badge I got is from the same link you posted above from seller knighthood_444 and I paid $18.88 for it. I did see some other listings from China for less than $10 a little while back but the delivery time was pretty long so I didn't buy it.

The link I posted was not the badge I bought. It was the only one i could find at the time from my phone easily, so I shared it. I bought the cheaper one, and although it shipped slower than the other badges, it still arrived fairly quick. I've only had the explorer for a few weeks, and I have had the badge sitting on my work bench for at least 1.5 weeks. So shipping time wasn't bad at all. Please let us know the quality and size of the badge you ordered once it arrives.

I have a feeling it's probably from the same source since they're both smaller than the factory badge. I've had mine since Fri and was waiting for the trunk and hood emblems to install at the same time. Probably could have waited for the other one and pay half the price. haha

Here's what it looks like against the stock badge behind it.

Black Sport Badge.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see a trend here, I also bought an Explorer Sport for my wife, same as the OP!

Back