2017 Explorer Sport Transmission Type | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport Transmission Type

9nerFinder50

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello all, new guy here.

I did a search and didn't see any threads specifically answering this question, so if there is already a thread on this or this thread is not in the right place, I apologize in advance.

I have a new 2017 Explorer Sport w/ 3.5 Ecoboost.

After doing a little research, I learned that the Ford Explorer Sport is equipped with a 6f50 transmission. This transmission is said to be rated to handle 300HP and 280ftlb of torque. A heavier duty 6f55 is said to be used in the Taurus SHO and Police Interceptor Sedan and Utility.

My question is this: Why is Ford using a transmission that is not rated for at least 360HP in the Explorer Sport? Why are they using the 6f55 in the Taurus which is a lighter vehicle that in most cases wont be used for towing purposes, but aren't using this transmission in the heavier tow capable Explorer? This makes ZERO sense to me...

I also recently had my Explorer tuned by Livernois. I am running an additional 70HP (CAI, 3 bar map sensor, 160 thermostat, 91 octane programming). Short of performing a basic transmission pan drain and refill every other engine oil change (I have always done this on all my vehicles) I am concerned the "weak" transmission that Ford puts in the Explorer is going to give me problems down the road after the warranty is up. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. It was a BIG investment for me.

Also, I know my vehicle has the class III tow package, but that only appears to give you an engine oil cooler. Does the 2017 Explorer Sport have a transmission oil cooler as well? If not, what would be a good aftermarket transmission cooler? What are some of you guys using, if anything?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have a Platinum with the same engine and mine has the 6F55 transmission.

Peter

Thanks for the response, Peter!

Does your Platinum have a factory transmission cooler? If your Platinum has the 6f55, I don't see why mine would be any different? They have the same engines...Maybe I'm wrong...Amsoil lists the ecoboost explorer as having the 6f50. Maybe they are wrong as well?

Thanks for the response, Peter!

Does your Platinum have a factory transmission cooler? If your Platinum has the 6f55, I don't see why mine would be any different? They have the same engines...Maybe I'm wrong...Amsoil lists the ecoboost explorer as having the 6f50. Maybe they are wrong as well?
I edited my initial reply. My extensive printout does not list a transmission cooler and even shows "Less engine oil cooler". Not sure if that is because it has the factory tow package. I would say that the Amsoil list is wrong and that in fact you do have the 6f55 transmission. I was able to print out very thing on my vehicle from Ford.etis before they no longer supplied the info for free. I believe there is another site where you can get the info but don't have that info at the moment. I believe it is posted within the Forum.

Peter

I edited my initial reply. My extensive printout does not list a transmission cooler and even shows "Less engine oil cooler". Not sure if that is because it has the factory tow package. I would say that the Amsoil list is wrong and that in fact you do have the 6f55 transmission. I was able to print out very thing on my vehicle from Ford.etis before they no longer supplied the info for free. I believe there is another site where you can get the info but don't have that info at the moment. I believe it is posted within the Forum.

Peter

Thanks! I did some more research and you are correct (nevr had a doubt), I found the following info on WIKI:

2009–present 6F55—6-speed transaxle (designed for use with the 3.5L Ecoboost V6)
I know my Explorer has the class III tow package and engine oil cooler per the Ford website. Cant find any info on whether it has a transmission cooler; probably because it doesn't. There is also very little info out there on aftermarket coolers on these 5th gen trucks...

If you PM your vin I can check the build against OASIS for certain.

That being said I'm almost 100% positive of the following:

-6F55 -- Sport/Plat
-6F50 -- 3.5L NA
-6F35 - 2.3L EB

On my 3.5 NA. the transmission cooler is incorporated/part of the A/C condenser

-6F55 -- Sport/Plat
-6F50 -- 3.5L NA
-6F35 - 2.3L EB

I'm all set with that, I appreciate it! I definitely have the 6F55 after doing some more research...

On my 3.5 NA. the transmission cooler is incorporated/part of the A/C condenser

I wonder if I can have the dealer install the same ATF cooler that is on the PI Utility? I'm sure that's a much better cooler and everything should carry over....I don't think anyone has tried to do this yet or cared enough to ask LOL

-6F55 -- Sport/Plat
-6F50 -- 3.5L NA
-6F35 - 2.3L EB

If you have the tow package on the 3.5L NA, you get the 6F55.

Back