• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

2017 Explorer XLT 3.5 L V6 FWD (6F55 transmission).

ben1996

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
2017 XLT @ 57000 miles. Hearing grinding sounds in lower gear but goes away when speeding up. Occasionally, vehicle lurches forward from stop. Also dipstick showed low transmission fluid level. Noticed fluid seepage/leakage near transmission case half junction. Could it be transmission issue or torque converter issue. Has anyone had similar problems ?
FORDEXPLORER.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Ben. :wave: Have you checked to see what colour that oil is? If it is redish then it's transmission fluid, if it is a dark oil, it could be the PTU.

Peter

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
V6 transmission are bulletproof. Not the smoothest but they are largely problem free.

ben1996

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum Ben. :wave: Have you checked to see what colour that oil is? If it is redish then it's transmission fluid, if it is a dark oil, it could be the PTU.

Peter
Fluid has a blackish color.

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
That drain plug is looking pretty wet. Make sure that's not open a little. If the fluid is coming from that driver side area though, it could be your driver's side axle seal up a little higher there.

Did you measure the trans fluid when fully hot? Can't measure it cold. Fully hot engine! It sucks and the coolant lines are hot, but if you have the dipstick, its really no biggie.

Also, trans fluid smells different than gear oil (PTU). Buy a jug of each and go by smell if you have to. Also, Peter is right, most obvious factor is that trans fluid for sure is red (reddish brownish as it ages). Collect some on a piece of waxed or parchment paper to help tell. Or soak it into a t shirt and it should look red against the white.

ben1996

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
That drain plug is looking pretty wet. Make sure that's not open a little. If the fluid is coming from that driver side area though, it could be your driver's side axle seal up a little higher there.

Did you measure the trans fluid when fully hot? Can't measure it cold. Fully hot engine! It sucks and the coolant lines are hot, but if you have the dipstick, its really no biggie.

Also, trans fluid smells different than gear oil (PTU). Buy a jug of each and go by smell if you have to. Also, Peter is right, most obvious factor is that trans fluid for sure is red (reddish brownish as it ages). Collect some on a piece of waxed or parchment paper to help tell. Or soak it into a t shirt and it should look red against the white.

I checked the transmission level using dipstick after driving for about 30 miles, but had switched off the engine - level was low. - so not sure if I was accurate. Anyway, I took vehicle to dealership - they have it overnight - will give me a diagnosis by tomorrow ( I hope).

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
Yeah, low is low. Too, if its under warranty, why NOT take it in? Other times, its just nice to pay to be done. My lower steering column went bad and was super noticeable right after new tires were put on. After dealer diagnosis I was like, why bother doing it myself which will suck a lot and I've already paid towards the finished work. :dunno:

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
OP indicated it is FWD...that means there is no PTU in his vehicle.

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
Touché. Trans fluid is trans fluid. Except when the rear main seal goes and its engine oil! TADA!

ExplorerRSM

Reaction score
City, State
Trabuco Canyon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I checked the transmission level using dipstick after driving for about 30 miles, but had switched off the engine - level was low. - so not sure if I was accurate. Anyway, I took vehicle to dealership - they have it overnight - will give me a diagnosis by tomorrow ( I hope).
You did good, typically you want to check you trans fluid with the trans at operating temp, but with engine still running as the trans pump is cyclying the fluid. Good luck with the diagnosis hopefully there are no issues and the level is ok. Good thing we still have dipsticks. I had a 14 Dodge Durango with the 8 speed trans and there is no disptick in that one to check the trans fluid, plus they have a damn rotary shifter i hated so much. The Explorer has a normal shifter thanks goodness, lol

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
.............plus they have a damn rotary shifter i hated so much. The Explorer has a normal shifter thanks goodness, lol
Until you get into the 2020 that is. My Aviator has a piano key type shifter.;)

Peter

ben1996

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
2017 XLT @ 57000 miles. Hearing grinding sounds in lower gear but goes away when speeding up. Occasionally, vehicle lurches forward from stop. Also dipstick showed low transmission fluid level. Noticed fluid seepage/leakage near transmission case half junction. Could it be transmission issue or torque converter issue. Has anyone had similar problems ?
UPDATE: service advisor called on Monday and said they still haven't taken the transmission out for diagnosis, but tech said that it could be the torque converter leaking, and said that they would have to replace seal, would take 2-3 days for parts to be shipped, and will probably have vehicle repaired by end of week.