• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer XLT 3.5L AWD

Short517

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Chevy Cruze, Diesel
I am looking to buy a 2017 Explorer XLT AWD with the 3.5l 58k miles, is there anything I need to worry about besides the water pump expenses? How can I tell if a water pump is going bad or is it something that just happens? What is the average lifetime of the water pumps before they leak or break? Is there a fix or upgrade that can help keep the water pump from failing in the future? Any other information is greatly appreciated.

2017 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5L AWD

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
In many cases the pump just failed. In some others there was a warning when there were signs of coolant coming out of the weep hole. Contamination of the oil on the dipstick would be another warning. There are also several Explores that have gone over 100k miles with no issues. There is no fix or upgrade that I'm aware of although I believe the newer ones have been modified. Members are also suggesting a frequent change of the PTU fluid at around 30k miles.
This may also come in handy. List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List

Peter

Back