2017 Ford Explorer - Exterior trim pieces in horrible shape | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer - Exterior trim pieces in horrible shape

Tier1Terrier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
So I'm handwashing my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer today for the first time (She's always taken it to a carwash) and I'm noticing so many of the vehicles exterior trim pieces in very bad shape with some of them falling apart & coming off. My first question is if any of this is covered under warranty? I purchased the full boat Ford Extended Warranty that covers for 7 years. The other question is if it's not covered, am I best just buying the parts on my own and either self-repairing or bringing to an independent mechanic / body shop to do the work rather than Ford?

The pieces that I noticed today that are coming apart are the exterior door pillar trims (black glossy plastic) on both sides, windshield trim on drivers side, and a few other rubber and plastic pieces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 XLT and I’m also getting worried about the trim on the outside. The plastics do seem to poorly fit... I hand wash mine, so I’m careful with these area...

So I'm handwashing my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer today for the first time (She's always taken it to a carwash) and I'm noticing so many of the vehicles exterior trim pieces in very bad shape with some of them falling apart & coming off. My first question is if any of this is covered under warranty? I purchased the full boat Ford Extended Warranty that covers for 7 years. The other question is if it's not covered, am I best just buying the parts on my own and either self-repairing or bringing to an independent mechanic / body shop to do the work rather than Ford?

The pieces that I noticed today that are coming apart are the exterior door pillar trims (black glossy plastic) on both sides, windshield trim on drivers side, and a few other rubber and plastic pieces.
The ESP warranty does not cover trim. It mentions that at the bottom of the brochure. Not knowing which trim pieces you are referring to makes it a little difficult to say how to repair them. I believe most trim pieces can likely be done DIY. I've found this site to be one of the least costly, especially when compared to the Fordparts site.

Peter

I went through a $10 dollar car wash, the replacement piece was $75 +$23 for the 3M mounting tape. I used a bit extra to ensure the install would not fly off.

I went through a $10 dollar car wash, the replacement piece was $75 +$23 for the 3M mounting tape. I used a bit extra to ensure the install would not fly off.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

The ESP warranty does not cover trim. It mentions that at the bottom of the brochure. Not knowing which trim pieces you are referring to makes it a little difficult to say how to repair them. I believe most trim pieces can likely be done DIY. I've found this site to be one of the least costly, especially when compared to the Fordparts site.

Peter
Forget the link?

The pillar trim is a very common issue. You surely aren't alone. The glue or whatever they used is cheap and doesn't last. They also glued on trim pieces to the liftgate which are now starting to peel away a bit on my 2013

Back