2017 FPIU - Stereo Dash Trim

DDubz

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU/Explorer
2017 FPIU - 4.3" No Sync
I need to at least get some sort of Bluetooth installed. The current deck only has the right output working only, no sync, and needs to be replaced. I would go with the factory however the lack of sync routes me back to my initial issue many of the aftermarket units I have looked at have more than adequate features, including Spotify, Crapple Car Play, and even seen one with Amazon music.

I am confident in my ability to install a new deck, however, I am struggling to locate anything that I could even make work. Similar to the below image, I should be able to make the Radio Control Panel like the below one work, however, I do not need the audio buttons. As this is all one piece, I am curious if anyone has found anything that would work.

Stereo Trim.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too wanted to upgrade the factory radio. I do have SYNC and Bluetooth but wanted to have navigation and larger screen.

What I found was that there are a couple firms that sell a kit to upgrade with factory parts. If memory serves, these were about $2000. I have yet to find any type of Metra kit for 2016 or later. Must have been big changes in the wiring, etc '16 and later that precludes this.

I resorted to using Waze from my phone for navigation. I just can't justify $2000 for the update...

I have yet to find any type of Metra kit for 2016 or later. Must have been big changes in the wiring, etc '16 and later that precludes this.

Many things changed with the 2016 model refresh.

Peter

just bump this and go $700 ebay. all works waze google map even something called assisted driver assistance or whatever
lane departure to close following pedestrian warning etc take times to set it up
but now great and works just stick $10 data sim so far so good (check location of hazard flashing button i tried many cap sent back all have bug this model so far the best one)
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-05 at 16.32.35 (1).jpeg

just bump this and go $700 ebay. all works waze google map even something called assisted driver assistance or whatever
lane departure to close following pedestrian warning etc take times to set it up
but now great and works just stick $10 data sim so far so good (check location of hazard flashing button i tried many cap sent back all have bug this model so far the best one)
View attachment 434092
So, how are the safety features installed with that head unit when the PIU lacks the hardware on the windshield to make that work?

View attachment 434092
Little more than I am looking for. I do not have SYNC, GPS or really anything. I just want to be able to have Bluetooth and FM

Does anyone with any experience or ideas?
I have pulled the stereo and I am unable to find any matching aftermarket adapters. I am hoping to have a wiring diagram however, after searching, looking through the upfitters guide and I have been unsuccessful in locating anything.
2017 FPIU - No Sync

20220929_155301.jpg 20220929_155541.jpg 20220929_155546.jpg

I've been looking for ages and haven't found squat. If you do, please post it.

So, how are the safety features installed with that head unit when the PIU lacks the hardware on the windshield to make that work?
there is camera dvr connect to unit via usb cable and i stick behind rearview mirror almost invisibale and working great
a pre installed app called ADAS do all lane departure too close follwing danger etc voice warnings are awesome and you can edit, however little complicated and takes sometime
This unit do not need that your FPIU have GPS or synch
Seller describe and ask for image of dashboard to sent one for SNNCH 1 , 2, ,3 or non synch like ours
But When installing i realize all same just change an andorid car selection in option
And my guess software is cpmmunicate via OBD system to describe all actions
And those button on whell all can be assigned different jobs pretty confusing but works
i can use next button mute vol up and down and change media all now
any other questions welcome i ll do my best

Does anyone with any experience or ideas?
I have pulled the stereo and I am unable to find any matching aftermarket adapters. I am hoping to have a wiring diagram however, after searching, looking through the upfitters guide and I have been unsuccessful in locating anything.
2017 FPIU - No Sync
This is from a 2018 wiring diagram.
20221018_091201.jpg
20221018_091227.jpg
20221018_091327.jpg

2017 FPIU - 4.3" No Sync
I need to at least get some sort of Bluetooth installed. The current deck only has the right output working only, no sync, and needs to be replaced. I would go with the factory however the lack of sync routes me back to my initial issue many of the aftermarket units I have looked at have more than adequate features, including Spotify, Crapple Car Play, and even seen one with Amazon music.

I am confident in my ability to install a new deck, however, I am struggling to locate anything that I could even make work. Similar to the below image, I should be able to make the Radio Control Panel like the below one work, however, I do not need the audio buttons. As this is all one piece, I am curious if anyone has found anything that would work.

View attachment 433811
In my opinion, I believe you should just opt for an aftermarket radio. Ford PIUs in terms of programming is very different to Explorers and theres room for mess up. (I messed up my DTE calculation in FORScan) You also won't gain dual climate control with that.

Here's my recommendation for an aftermarket radio if you want something big.

View attachment 434092
Where'd you get your center console from? Also my backup camera is in the rear view mirror, is there a way to change that?

Where'd you get your center console from? Also my backup camera is in the rear view mirror, is there a way to change that?
junk yard $100 for center console long island New York, (yeah many ebay seller abusive price at those)
rearview camera comes with android screen from aliexpress and attached to back of screen via usb my guess it is pre programed to communicating with CANBUS, when shifted to reverse it is pops up auto.
Camera wired all the way back with headline sides and i attached to rear trunk at top inside instead of top of plate

junk yard $100 for center console long island New York, (yeah many ebay seller abusive price at those)
rearview camera comes with android screen from aliexpress and attached to back of screen via usb my guess it is pre programed to communicating with CANBUS, when shifted to reverse it is pops up auto.
Camera wired all the way back with headline sides and i attached to rear trunk at top inside instead of top of plate
My car already has a backup camera from the factory but it's in the mirror. Can I use the existing backup camera or do I have to install the one that comes with it?

Back