2017 Front License Plate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Front License Plate

Laguna

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Hi everyone, first post, need some help.

Choosing between two 2017 Explorer Sports that will be acquired from other states. I'm in Indiana, and do not want a front license plate holder.

Explorer #1 has a plate holder, #2 does not. #1 has exactly the options I want; #2 is a little fancier.

Sales tells me the plate holder can be removed, but holes were drilled in the painted surface and they'll have to be plugged and painted.

Any idea of how ugly this looks? I really don't want to stare at that all the time and wish it looked better.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before giving the dealer the check for our 2017 Base I stipulated that I did not want to see a front plate holder or the holes for mounting it, would not accept locking lugnuts or a license plate frame with the dealer's name on it. I also stated that after giving them the check I expected to drive off with the car immediately. They were happy to comply.

Hi everyone, first post, need some help.

Choosing between two 2017 Explorer Sports that will be acquired from other states. I'm in Indiana, and do not want a front license plate holder.

Explorer #1 has a plate holder, #2 does not. #1 has exactly the options I want; #2 is a little fancier.

Sales tells me the plate holder can be removed, but holes were drilled in the painted surface and they'll have to be plugged and painted.

Any idea of how ugly this looks? I really don't want to stare at that all the time and wish it looked better.

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right) I found this thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...y-front-license-plate-bracket-removal.308815/
Check out the pictures.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I did see that thread, but it's a 2011. With the 2017 Sport, I'm struggling to figure out if the drilled bits will have to go through the painted surface or if they can be in the black plastic, like the 2011 in that thread.

I think if it's in the black, it will be about 90% less noticeable than having plugs on a red painted surface.

I forgot about the change with the newer models. Here is a 'blow up' picture of mine before that plate was installed. It looks like the fasteners are into the coloured part of the bumper. The 2 bottom screws are to hold the plate only.

Peter

Plate Holder.JPG

I realize it's petty of me, but that's a dealbreaker... I'd be regretting those bumper plugs for a decade.

Sounds like I need to expand my search!

I bought a '15 Grand Cherokee with holes that had been drilled for a front license plate. The dealer filled the holes with painted plastic plugs and did a nice job. From 10 feet away they could not be seen, BUT, they bothered the hell out of me until I sold the car.

Thank you rmcalis, I think that's what I'd feel like too.

Having #2 dealer swapped now, so I'll soon be in the Explorer family, with a pristine front bumper. Guess I'll go introduce myself to the forum then!

Back