2017 Oil Pan leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Oil Pan leak

Brentda1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi fellow Explorer owners. Just joined the group but am on Explorer #6 since 1990! But this leads to my problem. I have a new 2017 XLT V6 with less than 3000 miles. A few weeks ago started noticing a hot smell different than the typical new car smell. Long story short leaking oil pan seal that was fixed by my selling dealer. Less than 500 miles (and 7 days) later it is back at the dealer leaking again. Anyone experienced this or do I have a potential lemon. In the hundreds of thousands of miles put on my other Explorers I have never had an event like this. Anyone else seen/heard/had this happen?

Thanks for the info!

Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it's not a gasket issue, but an oil pan issue. They should make sure it's not damaged/warped.

Hi fellow Explorer owners. Just joined the group but am on Explorer #6 since 1990! But this leads to my problem. I have a new 2017 XLT V6 with less than 3000 miles. A few weeks ago started noticing a hot smell different than the typical new car smell. Long story short leaking oil pan seal that was fixed by my selling dealer. Less than 500 miles (and 7 days) later it is back at the dealer leaking again. Anyone experienced this or do I have a potential lemon. In the hundreds of thousands of miles put on my other Explorers I have never had an event like this. Anyone else seen/heard/had this happen?

Thanks for the info!

Brent
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Could be what Jon mentioned. Have they actually confirmed where the leak is coming from or was it just a 'guess'?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Could be what Jon mentioned. Have they actually confirmed where the leak is coming from or was it just a 'guess'?

Peter

Confirmed lower gasket...in shop 4 days..."repaired" but 5 days/less than 400 miles later burning oil smell and when I climbed under fresh oil on bottom of pan and frame. Appeared to be coming from the pan seal. Back at the shop but no answer yet. I have serious concerns now with this being a brand new vehicle. My thought with the second leak was a defect in the pan or a sloppy mechanic. Thanks for the interest!

Thanks for the info!

Brent

I am having a similar issue as well on my 2017 Explorer Limited with 4600 miles on it. I smelt the burnt oil smell a few days back and on Friday it just leaked all over my garage. I have it in the Dealership now but they wont get time to check whats causing it till this coming Thursday. The oil leaked and ran the entire length of the SUV all the way to the tail pipe as well :(

Found some reports of oil pan leaks on '17 F150s on their forum sites. Some people have had leaks under 1000 miles.

So now wait till I hear back from the dealership on whats wrong with mine.

Found some reports of oil pan leaks on '17 F150s on their forum sites. Some people have had leaks under 1000 miles.

So now wait till I hear back from the dealership on whats wrong with mine.
After 3 trips....oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal, and axle seal. Have asked for a buy back with no luck thus far.

After 3 trips....oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal, and axle seal. Have asked for a buy back with no luck thus far.

Oh wow. I am sorry to hear that. I got a call from my SA yesterday that they will be able to take a look at mine a day early today and maybe have my Explorer by the end of the week. I hope they fix it right the first time.

Just got a call from the Dealership. They said that the oil filter was damaged and as a result the oil leaked out. The engine is making a clattering noise. They dont know what the damage has been done to the engine. They will be running a diagnostic on the car and fill the oil first. The diagnostic is not under warranty and I will have to pay. If the damage is severe and the engine has to be replaced then I am on the hook for it as its not under warranty as well. He told me that I will have to call my insurance company and talk to them.

More to come. I dont remember hitting anything. It has been sitting in the garage mostly. I did one out of town drive with it but dont remember hitting anything :(

I was just thinking how does an oil filter get damaged? I have been driving since 93 and I have never hit my oil filter while driving and damaged it. Doesnt it sit higher up in the engine? Could the filter have been faulty to begin with? I am just trying to run through the scenarios on what to do next. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

I was just thinking how does an oil filter get damaged? I have been driving since 93 and I have never hit my oil filter while driving and damaged it. Doesnt it sit higher up in the engine? Could the filter have been faulty to begin with? I am just trying to run through the scenarios on what to do next. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.
I haven't seen the actual position of the filter on these Explorers but also thought it is in a place highly unlikely to be damaged. One thing I would definitely suggest is to ask for the return of that filter.

Peter

Here are the pics of the oil filter.

Oil1.jpg

Oil2.jpg

Oil3.jpg

The dealership said that there was less than a quart of oil in the engine. I have had the car sitting in the garage for a month and I didn't see any oil leaking out on the floor. Where did the oil go? The only time the oil dumped on the floor was when the CHECK ENGINE light came on and it dumped all over the garage floor last Friday. I have asked the SA to save the oil filter as I need to see it and take it for a second opinion. I need to know if it was damage done before or after I got the car.

One of my friend also suggested to open a case with Ford on this and I am going to do that today as well. I am documenting everything that has happened since then so I can send it to them.

Oil4.jpg

That appears to be more of a cut/slit than damage received from hitting something. If you hit something with it I would expect to see more damage like a dent and a scrape. Both of those seem to be absent. Is that the original filter?

Peter

That is the original filter. Nothing else is damaged around the area other than the filter.

Is this AWD and does it have the air deflector for the PTU that runs under the oil filter?

If so, I would have a hard time believe something could hit the filter.

Is the cut more on the back of the filter?

Got a call from the dealership. I guess everything is working fine. No issues. The only issue is the oil that is on the undercarriage that will take a while to burn out. I called my saleslady that I dealt with and told her what was going on. She was looking into it. Now everything is fine all of a sudden. Scratching my head. I will have to check the oil level for a while now to make sure it doesnt do any more damage.

Got a call from the dealership. I guess everything is working fine. No issues. The only issue is the oil that is on the undercarriage that will take a while to burn out. I called my saleslady that I dealt with and told her what was going on. She was looking into it. Now everything is fine all of a sudden. Scratching my head. I will have to check the oil level for a while now to make sure it doesnt do any more damage.

So the engine was clattering, etc running on half a quart of oil and now it's just okay, no issues?

So the engine was clattering, etc running on half a quart of oil and now it's just okay, no issues?

Yup thats what the SA said. I dont know what to believe. How is filling up the engine with oil fixing the issue? I am not convinced of the fix but I can go pick it up tomorrow. Not very confident with the dealerships abilities to fix the issue :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about clattering but when mine is idling after having driven it for a while and I get out to get the mail, it sounds a bit like a diesel engine. I've noticed this on my previous vehicle also. I read in another thread the sometimes the injectors make a sound like that.

Peter

Back