2017 Platinum Explorer - No heated mirrors with remote start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Platinum Explorer - No heated mirrors with remote start

jmen

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois suburb
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
With remote start settings set to "AUTO", rear defroster comes on with remote start but not the heated mirrors. Checking with my infrared temperature gun, I could see the mirrors heat up as soon as I pressed the brake and pushed the start button to bring it out of remote start mode.

Dealer technician and Ford Hotline Support say this is impossible. The mirrors are hard wired to the rear defroster. The mirrors must come on if the rear defroster comes on. They don't!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check another one and see if they do. If they do show service if another ones doesn't then it is normal. I am in WA right now and my EX is in OH or I would check for ya.

With remote start settings set to "AUTO", rear defroster comes on with remote start but not the heated mirrors. Checking with my infrared temperature gun, I could see the mirrors heat up as soon as I pressed the brake and pushed the start button to bring it out of remote start mode.

Dealer technician and Ford Hotline Support say this is impossible. The mirrors are hard wired to the rear defroster. The mirrors must come on if the rear defroster comes on. They don't!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are the heated mirrors set up in the Information Display to come ON with remote start? Page 136 in your Manual refers to this. I've honestly never checked mine since I park in my garage.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are the heated mirrors set up in the Information Display to come ON with remote start? Page 136 in your Manual refers to this. I've honestly never checked mine since I park in my garage.

Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for responding.

Yes, the remote start is set to "Auto" and the rear defroster does come on. The heated mirrors do not come on, even though they are suppose to come on anytime the rear defroster is on. Using my infrared temperature gun, I can see the mirrors heat up as soon as I bring it out of remote start mode by pressing the brake and pressing the start button. Supposedly, the schematic shows the mirrors and rear defroster are hard wired together, making this situation impossible. The only way the heated mirrors could work differently under remote start is if the signal is coming from a different source under remote start.

Check another one and see if they do. If they do show service if another ones doesn't then it is normal. I am in WA right now and my EX is in OH or I would check for ya.
Thank you for responding. The problem is finding other fully loaded platinum explorers to test. The dealer has checked other vehicles and I have checked the XLT loaner I have right now, and the heated mirrors come on with remote start.

I have an loaded platinum and an temperature gun as well.. I will try mine tonight/tomorrow and let you know..

Don't forget there are certain parameters that must be met in order for the features to work. Have you confirmed your conditions are as indicated on page 136 of your Manual?

Peter

I have an loaded platinum and an temperature gun as well.. I will try mine tonight/tomorrow and let you know..
Thanks, I'll be very interested in what you find out.

Don't forget there are certain parameters that must be met in order for the features to work. Have you confirmed your conditions are as indicated on page 136 of your Manual?

Peter
Yes, checked and double checked.

With remote start settings set to "AUTO", rear defroster comes on with remote start but not the heated mirrors.

You are Correct my friend.. I have confirmed your exact situation with pictures.. I started the vehicle remotely and let run for 9 minutes (it stopped just after I took the last "off" shot).. I then started the vehicle with the remote again, then entered and used the ignition to start ("on" pictures)

You can clearly see that the side mirrors are NOT warming up with the remote start (Note: There is a "reflection" of the heated glass due to the front defroster, but I took several angles so you can distinguish the reflection of the window vs Not.

I'm going to mention this to my dealer the next time as well (but I suspect the since it's spring now it will be hard to get them to reproduce and will have to wait until next winter.. )

"Off" means Ignition Off vehicle started by remote
"On" means vehicle started with ignition switch

Passenger Seat off.PNG
passenger seat off

rear window OFF.PNG
rear window off

Steering Wheel off.PNG
stearing wheel off

Driver Mirror Off.PNG
drivers mirror off

Passenger Mirror Off with reflection 3.PNG
passenger mirror off

Passenger Mirror Off with reflection 4.PNG
passenger mirror off

Driver Mirror ON.PNG
Drivers mirror ON

driver on 2.PNG
Drivers Mirror On

Drivers on 4.PNG
Drivers Mirror On

Passenger Mirror ON with reflection 1.PNG
Passenger Mirror on (Note left side is reflection, right side is non-reflection warming up so only slight heat seen)

Passenger Mirror On with reflection 2.PNG
Passenger Mirror on

Great pictures ckc123! I will pass this on to the people working on this problem and keep you posted on any findings.

Great pictures ckc123! I will pass this on to the people working on this problem and keep you posted on any findings.
Perhaps it's not a problem but like the remote open moonroof, just doesn't work as per the Manual. It isn't the first time that this has happened. In any case, it doesn't take long for the mirror to clean off any ice or 'fogged' up glass once the heated mirror turns on. Other than not working as advertised, I don't see it being a big problem.

Peter

I can confirm I have the same problem with my 17 Sport. It's like the mirrors won't heat until they unfold which only happens after you get into the car. This is annoying because the whole purpose of remote start is so you can jump in your car and go.

It's like the mirrors won't heat until they unfold which only happens after you get into the ca.

FYI: mine were "unfolded" but still did not heat up.. it was only after the ignition was fully started that they heated up

FYI: mine were "unfolded" but still did not heat up.. it was only after the ignition was fully started that they heated up
Yep, I meant when I get in the car and push start to take over the remote start.

it's an important distinction though as the "enabling" of the heat could be tied to the mirror position or the full ignition and helps "ford" identify where the problem is. When I started mine, I pressed the mirror button to move them out so I could take the pictures properly..

Please let us know what the dealer says. I feel like there is something not quite right here... but maybe it's just a Forscan setting. Whatever the case, it should heat with remote start. It's simply logical.

Did anyone ever figure this out? My wife's 2017 Platinum that usually parked in the garage has been outside the last couple nights. I remote started this morning, and the driver's mirror was not heating and completely fogged up, although all the windows had cleared.

Back