2017 Platinum external mirror glass loose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Platinum external mirror glass loose

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
has anyone experienced a flutter from the side mirrors at start up..... dealer does not want to look into it as it never happens when vehicle is taken in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone experienced a flutter from the side mirrors at start up..... dealer does not want to look into it as it never happens when vehicle is taken in
Are you referring to the 'folding' feature? If so, I don't recall reading any posts about that.
BTW your profile shows 2007 XLT.

Peter

Our 2016 Platinum has done this a few times as they return to the outward position on entry. It is concerning, but like you said, until it will do it in the dealer nothing will be done to resolve it. I've had to turn off the ignition and restart to stop the fluttering. I can foresee this becoming an issue about the time the warranty expires. :(

Our 2016 Platinum has done this a few times as they return to the outward position on entry. It is concerning, but like you said, until it will do it in the dealer nothing will be done to resolve it. I've had to turn off the ignition and restart to stop the fluttering. I can foresee this becoming an issue about the time the warranty expires. :(
Welcome to the Forum Pete.:wave:

Peter

I really cant say what actually happens since I am asking this question for my father.... he is 300 miles away and I will have to call him and ask if its the mirror glass or the whole housing

Yes,

Mine has done this a few times. So far it has been one or the other, but not both at the same time.When it happens it's like the mirror has gone off it's track and get get back onto it. It makes a slight popping noise and "stutters". It stutters until I change the orientation with the side mirror adjustment buttons. The side it happens to returns to it's position the next time you get in.
I don't know if this makes sense, but it is what happens in mine, about once every two months or so.

My drivers side mirror did that a couple times but also began squealing/squeaking. Luckily it also did it at the Dealers so they squirted some lubricant in it and patted me on the head. It began making noise soon after that so next time I went in I asked them to fix it permanently, they replaced the entire mirror and no problems since.

What is not clear here and has yet to be verified is what the actual issue is. Is it the mirror glass itself that is the problem or is it the folding/unfolding system?

Peter

Yes,

It's the mirror glass. The housings have no issues, at least not on my rig.The mirror glass, on start-up, appears to move side to side and up and down. If I can remember, I'll pay more attention the next time I go for a spin.
Also, I have not taken the mirrors apart, so I don't know if there is a track system. When the mirror "flutters, it makes me think there is a track system and the mirror has run out of track.

Yes,

It's the mirror glass. The housings have no issues, at least not on my rig.The mirror glass, on start-up, appears to move side to side and up and down. If I can remember, I'll pay more attention the next time I go for a spin.
Also, I have not taken the mirrors apart, so I don't know if there is a track system. When the mirror "flutters, it makes me think there is a track system and the mirror has run out of track.
No track that I'm aware of. Have a look at the video in this linked post; Broken Outside Mirror

Peter

Have you pressed firmly but across the glass to ensure it's full seated in the housing? There are typically "fingers" from the glass that snap into the housing/motor mount and if / when loose can flutter/shake or worse case fall out.

After looking at the video there are at least two tracks, fingers, what ever you want to call them. Each track controls the motion or range for that axis, to adjust the mirror.

I haven't tried to push on the mirror but may just try that.

I believe the drivers side has done this twice and the passenger side three times since I purchased my rig, over two years and 25K miles ago.

I asked him and he confirmed it is just the glass and not the power fold housing

Back