2017 Sport (Smoked Quartz) paint chipping too easily? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Sport (Smoked Quartz) paint chipping too easily?

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I've owned a lot of cars of various brands over the years, but since I bought my new Explorer a year and a half ago, I've noticed an abnormally high amount of chipping, and with this color, the chips really stand out (bright white underneath) I only have 20,000kms on it and I've got at least a dozen chips. Mostly on the hood, but some even on the sides where the doors are.

Just want to get a sense for what other people are experiencing. When I got my mirror fixed awhile back, the body shop commented that the paint is much thinner than it used to be when I asked him about the chips.

Thanks!

I am seeing the same with the Magnetic Colour. Person who parked beside me, (passenger side) was VERY careless. But I was surprised at the chip, but no dent effect.

I’ve noticed on my wife’s 17 Limited (White Gold) that the paint on the inside of the doors and door jams seems very thin. It even feels different. Will be using a lot of wax in these areas

Back