2017 vs 2016 Questions & Opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 vs 2016 Questions & Opinions

H3avyC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Fusion
Hi everyone. First post, but I've been reading over many of the other threads.

My wife and I are pretty certain we are going to purchase an Explorer this year. We test drove a Platinum this weekend which we both loved, but my wife was not a fan of the multi-contour seats. She much prefers the standard seats in the XLT, Standard Limited, or the Sport. She has degenerative disc diseases in her upper back / neck and the car seat needs to accommodate that.

The Limited would seem to make the most sense for us (since the Platinum only has the multi-contour seats), but the minute you add any of the options packages, it seems like you have to get those seats. We could max out an XLT, but you are forced to give up the power fold 3rd row seats. The Sport would also seem to work, but neither of us want a black interior (outdoor parking in the summer = oven).

Does anyone know if the 2017 is going to come in any different configurations? Additional interior colors on the Sport for instance? Feels like no matter which options we pick right now, we end up compromising on something we want. I'm inclined to just wait for the 2017 models to see if there are any changes (at the very least to get Sync 3.0 with Apple Carplay support).

Any advice for ordering a vehicle? I've always just bought off the lot. This will be a totally new experience for the both of us. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The multi contoured seats have a massage feature if that makes a difference. No info on the 2017 models is out yet except that it will have Sync3. As for the seats, I doubt there would be any changes. The 2017 model production begins June 6th with orders being accepted March 14th. (Dates subject to change)

Peter

There are 3 sections in the seat back that can be adjusted, did you try adjusting them all to see if she can get the seatback to a comfortable position?
I don't know if those are actually adjustment sections or the 3 different lumbar areas you can select for the massage feature. If they are in fact seat back adjustments then that might help.

Peter

No, he is correct. Those are three separate lumbar support areas that can be adjusted independently of each other. The button that is highlighted that you can't read says adjust. Pressing the massage button gives the option for massage intensity adjustments. The massage works in the back and seat bottom cushion but there is no way to tell it where to work. It is supposed to vary the areas to stimulate the muscles.

No, he is correct. Those are three separate lumbar support areas that can be adjusted independently of each other.
Thanks for the clarification Charles. It's difficult sometimes just going by the Manual and not having the actual vehicle to check.:thumbsup:

Peter

My wife and I are pretty certain we are going to purchase an Explorer this year. We test drove a Platinum this weekend which we both loved, but my wife was not a fan of the multi-contour seats. She much prefers the standard seats in the XLT, Standard Limited, or the Sport. She has degenerative disc diseases in her upper back / neck and the car seat needs to accommodate that.

The Limited would seem to make the most sense for us (since the Platinum only has the multi-contour seats), but the minute you add any of the options packages, it seems like you have to get those seats. We could max out an XLT, but you are forced to give up the power fold 3rd row seats. The Sport would also seem to work, but neither of us want a black interior (outdoor parking in the summer = oven).

Does anyone know if the 2017 is going to come in any different configurations? Additional interior colors on the Sport for instance? Feels like no matter which options we pick right now, we end up compromising on something we want. I'm inclined to just wait for the 2017 models to see if there are any changes (at the very least to get Sync 3.0 with Apple Carplay support).

Any advice for ordering a vehicle? I've always just bought off the lot. This will be a totally new experience for the both of us. Thanks!

If the sport would work, why wouldn't the limited with the 300a pkg work? They're essentially the same thing just the sport has the upgraded engine.

Ford Explorer 2017 will have redesigned front and reshaped bumper? Is it a good idea?))
source

We have both the Sport and Limited models, and we both prefer the Limited over the Sport, since almost all of the options that are available on the upgraded package on the Limited (lane keep, auto dimming headlamps, heated rear seats) are not offered on the Sport model at all. last night, I priced out a Limited, with all the features that are standard on the Platinum, and the difference is less than $4000 at retail. I believe that the Platinum, upon resale will more than justify that dollar difference. The other thing that I found interesting, is that if you add the EcoBoost engine to the Limited, then you can't have the class III 5000# trailering package. The only trailering package available with the EcoBoost engine, is the class II 3000# trailering package.

Ford Explorer 2017 will have redesigned front and reshaped bumper? Is it a good idea?))
source
I don't think that article is very accurate. It says the 2017 is in full production when Ford's own schedule shows that production doesn't begin until June 6th.
Also, from the 2017 I've seen on a video, I didn't see any noticeable exterior changes. That picture of the blue 'Sport' is also one, I believe, that appeared a while back as an XLT with the XLT Appearance Package.

Peter

If anyone goes to these shows that show off next years models I want the VIN off of a 17 Explorer lol.

If anyone goes to these shows that show off next years models I want the VIN off of a 17 Explorer lol.

Do they even VIN preproduction models?

Do they even VIN preproduction models?

I have no idea but if they are driven on the public roadways I would imagine they need an identification number. Won't know unless someone checks.

I have no idea but if they are driven on the public roadways I would imagine they need an identification number. Won't know unless someone checks.

Yes. I think its done to keep these cars from being registered as "civilian" use. They are flagged.

First post here, time for a question.

I'm very close to moving ahead on the purchase of an Explorer in Platinum trim. Interested in either the Ruby Red or Platinum White. Both of these vehicles are available locally with the only options I care about (Ebony Black leather and separate 2nd row seats with pass-through).

I've read a lot of talk on here about Sync 3. My question is whether it is REALLY worth waiting to order a '17 just to get Sync 3 (looks like virtually everything else could remain the same), risk a price increase, and lose the available incentives (0% for 60)? I've never been in a vehicle with Sync 3. Am I missing something?

FWIW I'm in the same boat as you. Just ordered a 2016 but would have dropped it for a 2017 if I was blown away by some of the 2017 changes. In my opinion, giving up the great incentives (Especially the 0% financing) is definitely not worth it just to have SYNC 3.

I'm sticking with my 2016 Platinum Order. I came to the same conclusion, SYNC 3 is not worth paying the higher price.

I cancelled my 16' for a 17' because a 16' instantly suffers a extra years worth of depreciation. No matter what the cost increase, it will come back and then some at resale time.
The S3 is just a benefit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I considered waiting, but found the current UI more attractive. The climate controls move fixed the last versions issues IMHO. Although 3 is faster

My dealer mentioned 3 will also have the GPS maps online vs the current SD card. Long-term this is worth something

Back